“Great experience, kids loved it”
Review of Buchan Caves

Buchan Caves
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Buchan
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We took the kids here early his year and they loved it, especially the "fairy dust" in some places was fascinating for them to see. The thermal pool is also lovely to swim in afterwards

1  Thank Stefanie R
"east gippsland"
"whole family"
"long weekend"

Reviewed 29 July 2013

1 cave $18, 2 caves $27 per adult. We were warned it was humid, so no need for coats. Cave 1 - awkward to get around. I'm almost 6 ft tall, and struggled through some places, having to bend almost double plus twist sideways to avoid jutting rocks. Some areas are guarded with chicken wire and I destroyed a new cardigan by trying to squeeze past an outcrop. I would have dressed differently had I realised the restrictions and that I wouldn't be wearing my coat in, but there is no indication in the literature that it is quite squashy. Cave 2 was even worse, so I decided not to do it. The staff were very accommodating though, and refunded part of my ticket, which was much appreciated.

The ranger who took us through the cave was at the front of the group, and galloped on to the next stopping point, leaving those of us further down the group out of earshot so we couldn't hear. There was 3 main stopping points, and for those who wanted to take photos it was quite difficult due to the number of people in a small area / heads in the way etc.

One cave tour is at 11 am, the second is at 1 pm, so you need to find lunch if doing both - no really enough time to go back into town and find somewhere to eat. Take a picnic; do not depend on the kiosk having food. We arrived just before 11, and there was 3 sausage rolls and a pie in the warmer - they were still there when we went back just after 12 to get some lunch, and that was all there was. Badly done.

OK, but not highly recommended. I've seen better.

3  Thank EA59
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Buchan cave is a unique place to visit with family. You can easily spend few hours here, rest in the park, have barbecue.

2  Thank NeerajVic
Reviewed 11 June 2013

It was an AWESOME experience. We visited the Fairy Cave, and it was just breath taking. The guide was great, really know her stuff, providing lots of information regarding the history, formation, etc, even the tiniest detail on a stalagtites and stalagmites. We were given plenty of time to take pictures and to absorb the natural beauty all around us. It was humid inside, there are hand rails all around and the stairs are not that hard to tackle, steep stairs going down, a few spots to duck but generally very easy even my 6 year old could handle. Worth a trip down!

5  Thank Felicia C