“Magic getaway”
Review of Royal Mail Hotel

Royal Mail Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent a relaxing weekend at the hotel. Everything from the moment we arrived was perfect. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Our mountain view room was spacious and comfortable. The amenities in the bathroom were spa quality. The minibar was well stocked with quality half bottles of wine and delicious snacks. We dined at the hotel bar on Friday night, it was very good pub food. I had the chicken Parma and my partner had the beef burger. We ate in the bistro on Saturday for lunch. We shared a charcuterie platter, I had roast Glengoth chicken and my partner had the steak. We enjoyed both. Saturday night was really good, five course with matching wines. The food was superb. For a chef who has only been there for six weeks he is doing a fantastic job. We toured the kitchen garden that morning and it's produce was evident throughout our meal. Breakfast was also a meal to be looked forward to. I must single out the quince custard doughnuts as outstanding, this from a person who doesn't particularly like doughnuts. All on all, I can't recommend the hotel highly enough.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear hammoj

I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience and the team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had been here before and it had been exceptional and we expected to have the same experience again but where very disappointed we ordered Lamb with a mash and char grilled vegetables and received Lamb with tasteless mash and tasteless steamed vegetables we won't be returning and it wasn't cheap !!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was very excited to try out this restaurant after seeing the reviews and stayed a night in Dunkeld just to visit this place. Honestly next time visiting the Grampians I will be skipping the Royal Mail. Starters was Calamari, it was nice but nothing spectacular. I then had the fish which was in my opinion under cooked. When asked for it to be done a little more I was told that is the way it is served. Now I love my meat rare, I love my fish just to be cooked but this was flesh and was hard to pull apart. If it was cooked the flakes of fish should fall onto your plate but this was fleshy and raw in the middle. Then the dessert was a pistachio cake which was nice but a lot of different flavors that did not match. I am not a fussy eater and have eaten in some excellent restaurants and this was just over pricey for the quality you get. On a positive note the lamb my partner got was beautiful and cooked to perfection and the wine was beautiful too. Its just not somewhere I would rush back to.

1  Thank sepritch

Dear Sepritch

Thank you very much for choosing to stay and dine with us. Thank you also for your feedback and please accept my sincerest apologies that we did not meet your expectations in some areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had a buy one night; get one free stay at the Royal Mail. Booked a Garden Room, it was clean and roomy, however fairly basic room… very “Motel” style and not what we expected. In fact we considered paying for an upgrade to a Mountain Room. Keep in mind there is not much in the way of “garden”, and the rooms are across the road from the Hotel. We did not know this at the time of booking. We had dinner in the Bistro, it was very good. Something else to keep in mind; big plates, small servings and high prices… but I knew this and this is why we came. Something I did not know was the one of Australia's finest chefs, Dan Hunter, quit his job at Royal Mail Hotel in July. Dan has moved to Sunnybrae, Birregurra. I was irate when I worked this out on the night of our meal, I should have done my due diligence before booking. Robin Wickens is now the Executive Chef, our meal was good, not world class as I was expecting. I had the pigeon salad, the dressing was a bit too acidy and the pigeon was poached in a bag/bath but then not crisped up in a pan before serving. My partner had the Milawa chicken, potato crumble, pancetta which I always consider a pedestrian choice (chicken); however it was extremely tender and did have a crispy skin. I had the fish as my main, it had spent a few seconds too long in the pan. It was cooked through; where I feel it should be very slightly underdone. Waiter service was very good, however I ordered spiced almonds and they sat out under the kitchen heat lights while I sat and watched them for about 15mins until I asked a waiter to bring them over to the table! The day we arrived we just wanted to get a light snack and found “The Old Bakery” around the corner in Martin Street. They had two gluten free cakes and super scones, homemade jam and cream. Ok coffee too!

Room Tip: Don’t book the Garden Room, very plain and across the road from the Hotel.
1  Thank Rhys M
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Rhys M

We have just completed a $1.4 million refurbishment project on 17 of our rooms and the room type that you stayed in is planned for refurbishment in 2014.

Talented and award winning chef Robin Wickens has now headed up the kitchen team for the past month and has initiated the roll out of additions and enhancements to what was already one of the most talked about dining experiences in Australia. The overall guest feedback in regards to dining over the past month has been nothing short of overwhelming with everyone very excited about what they have seen and the dining offering moving forward. The pidgeon salad is a dish that has been on the menu for some time now and has been removed within the past month.

The team looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We recently stayed and dined at the Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld.
We were in a newly refurbished Mountain View room and the two mountains that could be seen from our balcony were very impressive. There are walks around the hotel and we took the easy walk. For the more adventurous (and fitter) folks then you could climb up the mountain. We saw lots of wallabies and wild birds.
The room was well appointed and very clean. The hotel has magnificent food ranging from pub food to bistro and fine dining. We tried all three and were very impressed. They have their own private garden and they boast that 70% of the food they serve is grown in their garden! Staff were very friendly and worked as a team. We will stay here again for sure. It is one hour from the coast so we took the opportunity to visit the lovely town of Port Fairy before heading home.

1  Thank Stephen141
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Stephen141

Thank you very much for choosing to stay and dine with us and for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable all round experience and it looks like you have summed us up to a T.

The team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Go to Dunkeld, stay at the Royal Mail Hotel and you won't be disappointed. The hotel is situated in a lovely bush setting at the end of the Grampian Ranges. Our room had a wonderful view looking out onto Mt. Sturgeon, the bed was very comfy and the bathroom large, well equipped, with an excellent shower.
The restaurant is world class, definitely one of the best in Australia, if not the best. We had the degustation dinner at the restaurant, which was absolutely fabulous and the matching wines were perfect. We were a bit concerned when we found out that the chef , who everyone had raved about, had left. We were not disappointed however, as whoever has taken over, is brilliant. The food was beautiful, with cutting edge dishes using the best locally sourced ingredients and techniques which really do them justice. Service was impeccable, very friendly, informative with lots of wine knowledge and attentive without being overbearing. The overall the experience was amazing and I would best describe it as being taken on a journey by the wait staff and sommelier with a meticulous description of the food preparation and the origins of some of the very interesting wines.
The continental breakfast the next morning was sensational and really stood out from usual hotel fare too - mainly made up of local produce – local in house smoked ham & salon, yoghurts, pickles & condiments made in the kitchen and beautiful bread.
The second night we booked into the bistro was also fantastic. it is not cheap - but the food is everything their reputation says it is.
The layout of the whole building is interesting as there is a bar at one end of the building, serving bar food and beer to locals and tourists alike. You then move through an adjoining door into the open plan bistro / fine dining area which is not really separated like other restaurants. The Bar menu was also interesting and I would have liked to stay another night as the menu was very different from the bistro and the restaurant.
There are some great walking tracks near the hotel, good way to spend an afternoon.
Be warned, the experience is not cheap - BUT it is priceless. We certainly rank it among the top experiences we have had and we have no reservations in recommending the Royal Mail as an amazing place for dinner and a pretty good place to stay too.

1  Thank Hans E

Dear Grumpelfuerer

It certainly sounds like you enjoyed the complete experience and I was delighted to read your comments. The team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We dont get away very often (being 7day a week business owners), therefore when we do get away, we like to do it in style & comfort - of which the Royal Mail has neither.

The rooms are very small and plain! Save your money and stay at numerous places of coniderably better value & comfort in Halls Gap, if you are after the Grampians experience.

The next day we travelled to Apollo Bay and stayed in a modern 3 bedroom penthouse overlooking the local golf course, bay and the Great Ocean road for half the price of the Royal Mail.

Room Tip: Paying a premium price does not guarantee a premium experience! Stay in their standard rooms if you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Alex L
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Alex L

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Our room rates start at a reasonably priced $180/night. We have just completed a $1.4 million room refurbishment project on 17 of our rooms which provide a high level of comfort and luxurious touches and they are also attractively priced.

I would invite you to reach out to me on 03 5577 2241 or scott@royalmail.com.au to discuss further.

Scott Horn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Comfort Inn Grange Burn
#5 of 8 in Hamilton
Southern Grampians Cottages
Grampians View Bed and Breakfast
Best Western Hamilton Lakeside Motel

Been to Royal Mail Hotel? Share your experiences!