“Always nice but not so good for families”
Review of Royal Mail Hotel

Royal Mail Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunkeld
Adelaide, Australia
“Always nice but not so good for families”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our 4th trip to the Royal Mail with our family. It is always a nice stay. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was lovely but starting to show some signs of wear and tear. We would love it if there were 3 bedroom apartments as the house option is a bit too pricey for 1 family.
We were strongly encouraged to make a booking at the bistro when we booked our apartment which was ok but not really great for children. Our eldest two ate from the regular menu and our youngest couldn't find any good options so went hungry. The meal was fine but pretty pricey and fairly small serves so our older children were also hungry at the end after ordering a main and a dessert. Three courses each for a family of 5 at this bistro starts to add up!
We probably should have ate at the pub however on a Saturday night we were concerned it would be too busy and we were told the bistro would be good for a family.
It would be great if the bistro was a little more relaxed and family friendly and left the fine dining for the restaurant. In such a lovely rural setting I feel a more relaxed place to eat would be great as we are here to unwind. We have opportunity to go to formal restaurants in the city-in the country its nice to chill a bit.
The continental breakfast was nice however a cooked buffet breakfast is always popular particularly for hikers!
We will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Tilly788

Thank you very much for your ongoing patronage of the hotel and the team looks forward to welcoming you back time and time again.

I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience. Families are a very important part of our business and the Hotel is always extremely busy during any school holiday period. New menus have just been rolled out throughout the entire Hotel and there is now a broader offering for children on the Public Bar menu and these childrens dishes can be served in the Bistro.

The Mount Sturgeon offering at the Hotel is a great area for families and there are two, three bedroom cottages there with large grounds for children to enjoy as well as our animal enclosures and an abundance of wildlife.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on scott@royalmail.com.au or 03 5577 2241 if I can assist with your next booking. The team and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again.

Scott Horn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent a relaxing weekend at the hotel. Everything from the moment we arrived was perfect. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Our mountain view room was spacious and comfortable. The amenities in the bathroom were spa quality. The minibar was well stocked with quality half bottles of wine and delicious snacks. We dined at the hotel bar on Friday night, it was very good pub food. I had the chicken Parma and my partner had the beef burger. We ate in the bistro on Saturday for lunch. We shared a charcuterie platter, I had roast Glengoth chicken and my partner had the steak. We enjoyed both. Saturday night was really good, five course with matching wines. The food was superb. For a chef who has only been there for six weeks he is doing a fantastic job. We toured the kitchen garden that morning and it's produce was evident throughout our meal. Breakfast was also a meal to be looked forward to. I must single out the quince custard doughnuts as outstanding, this from a person who doesn't particularly like doughnuts. All on all, I can't recommend the hotel highly enough.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear hammoj

I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience and the team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Yarram, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had been here before and it had been exceptional and we expected to have the same experience again but where very disappointed we ordered Lamb with a mash and char grilled vegetables and received Lamb with tasteless mash and tasteless steamed vegetables we won't be returning and it wasn't cheap !!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was very excited to try out this restaurant after seeing the reviews and stayed a night in Dunkeld just to visit this place. Honestly next time visiting the Grampians I will be skipping the Royal Mail. Starters was Calamari, it was nice but nothing spectacular. I then had the fish which was in my opinion under cooked. When asked for it to be done a little more I was told that is the way it is served. Now I love my meat rare, I love my fish just to be cooked but this was flesh and was hard to pull apart. If it was cooked the flakes of fish should fall onto your plate but this was fleshy and raw in the middle. Then the dessert was a pistachio cake which was nice but a lot of different flavors that did not match. I am not a fussy eater and have eaten in some excellent restaurants and this was just over pricey for the quality you get. On a positive note the lamb my partner got was beautiful and cooked to perfection and the wine was beautiful too. Its just not somewhere I would rush back to.

1 Thank sepritch
Dear Sepritch

Thank you very much for choosing to stay and dine with us. Thank you also for your feedback and please accept my sincerest apologies that we did not meet your expectations in some areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Creswick, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had a buy one night; get one free stay at the Royal Mail. Booked a Garden Room, it was clean and roomy, however fairly basic room… very “Motel” style and not what we expected. In fact we considered paying for an upgrade to a Mountain Room. Keep in mind there is not much in the way of “garden”, and the rooms are across the road from the Hotel. We did not know this at the time of booking. We had dinner in the Bistro, it was very good. Something else to keep in mind; big plates, small servings and high prices… but I knew this and this is why we came. Something I did not know was the one of Australia's finest chefs, Dan Hunter, quit his job at Royal Mail Hotel in July. Dan has moved to Sunnybrae, Birregurra. I was irate when I worked this out on the night of our meal, I should have done my due diligence before booking. Robin Wickens is now the Executive Chef, our meal was good, not world class as I was expecting. I had the pigeon salad, the dressing was a bit too acidy and the pigeon was poached in a bag/bath but then not crisped up in a pan before serving. My partner had the Milawa chicken, potato crumble, pancetta which I always consider a pedestrian choice (chicken); however it was extremely tender and did have a crispy skin. I had the fish as my main, it had spent a few seconds too long in the pan. It was cooked through; where I feel it should be very slightly underdone. Waiter service was very good, however I ordered spiced almonds and they sat out under the kitchen heat lights while I sat and watched them for about 15mins until I asked a waiter to bring them over to the table! The day we arrived we just wanted to get a light snack and found “The Old Bakery” around the corner in Martin Street. They had two gluten free cakes and super scones, homemade jam and cream. Ok coffee too!

Room Tip: Don’t book the Garden Room, very plain and across the road from the Hotel.
1 Thank Rhys M
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Rhys M

We have just completed a $1.4 million refurbishment project on 17 of our rooms and the room type that you stayed in is planned for refurbishment in 2014.

Talented and award winning chef Robin Wickens has now headed up the kitchen team for the past month and has initiated the roll out of additions and enhancements to what was already one of the most talked about dining experiences in Australia. The overall guest feedback in regards to dining over the past month has been nothing short of overwhelming with everyone very excited about what they have seen and the dining offering moving forward. The pidgeon salad is a dish that has been on the menu for some time now and has been removed within the past month.

The team looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We recently stayed and dined at the Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld.
We were in a newly refurbished Mountain View room and the two mountains that could be seen from our balcony were very impressive. There are walks around the hotel and we took the easy walk. For the more adventurous (and fitter) folks then you could climb up the mountain. We saw lots of wallabies and wild birds.
The room was well appointed and very clean. The hotel has magnificent food ranging from pub food to bistro and fine dining. We tried all three and were very impressed. They have their own private garden and they boast that 70% of the food they serve is grown in their garden! Staff were very friendly and worked as a team. We will stay here again for sure. It is one hour from the coast so we took the opportunity to visit the lovely town of Port Fairy before heading home.

1 Thank Stephen141
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Stephen141

Thank you very much for choosing to stay and dine with us and for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable all round experience and it looks like you have summed us up to a T.

The team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Go to Dunkeld, stay at the Royal Mail Hotel and you won't be disappointed. The hotel is situated in a lovely bush setting at the end of the Grampian Ranges. Our room had a wonderful view looking out onto Mt. Sturgeon, the bed was very comfy and the bathroom large, well equipped, with an excellent shower.
The restaurant is world class, definitely one of the best in Australia, if not the best. We had the degustation dinner at the restaurant, which was absolutely fabulous and the matching wines were perfect. We were a bit concerned when we found out that the chef , who everyone had raved about, had left. We were not disappointed however, as whoever has taken over, is brilliant. The food was beautiful, with cutting edge dishes using the best locally sourced ingredients and techniques which really do them justice. Service was impeccable, very friendly, informative with lots of wine knowledge and attentive without being overbearing. The overall the experience was amazing and I would best describe it as being taken on a journey by the wait staff and sommelier with a meticulous description of the food preparation and the origins of some of the very interesting wines.
The continental breakfast the next morning was sensational and really stood out from usual hotel fare too - mainly made up of local produce – local in house smoked ham & salon, yoghurts, pickles & condiments made in the kitchen and beautiful bread.
The second night we booked into the bistro was also fantastic. it is not cheap - but the food is everything their reputation says it is.
The layout of the whole building is interesting as there is a bar at one end of the building, serving bar food and beer to locals and tourists alike. You then move through an adjoining door into the open plan bistro / fine dining area which is not really separated like other restaurants. The Bar menu was also interesting and I would have liked to stay another night as the menu was very different from the bistro and the restaurant.
There are some great walking tracks near the hotel, good way to spend an afternoon.
Be warned, the experience is not cheap - BUT it is priceless. We certainly rank it among the top experiences we have had and we have no reservations in recommending the Royal Mail as an amazing place for dinner and a pretty good place to stay too.

1 Thank Hans E
Dear Grumpelfuerer

It certainly sounds like you enjoyed the complete experience and I was delighted to read your comments. The team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Scott Horn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Hamilton Lonsdale Motel
#7 of 8 in Hamilton
Southern Grampians Cottages
Grampians View Bed and Breakfast
Hamilton Townhouse Motel

Been to Royal Mail Hotel? Share your experiences!