“Casual meal in bar”
Review of Royal Mail Hotel

Royal Mail Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Nice casual evening spent in the public bar of the royal mail hotel. Food was good, worth the price. Service excellent for a bar. We had drinks in front of the fire, then moved to a table when dinner was ready.

They say the wine menu is outstanding but I'd like to point out they've put just as much effort into the selection of beers available behind the bar!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Tom G

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Our room was very comfortable until we had to change rooms at midnight after
dinner because of an infestation of fruit flies which seemed impervious
to all the fly sprays! The weather had changed dramatically and the bugs
were all over town apparently. However we were moved to a relatively bug-free room and our accommodation was discounted.
We had mixed feelings about the restaurant. The seating arrangement was
rather strange, with 2 rows of tables for 2 with nothing to look at
except a table for 4 the other side of the serving table. The tables were
bare except for 2 water glasses. We received water promptly and wine
relatively so but nothing else for 45 minutes, despite the meal being a
fixed tasting menu. The sommelier was friendly and knowledgable and the
service pleasant but oh so slow- hence the change of room being at
midnight although our table booking was for 8pm.
The food was a mixed bag- in more
ways than one. I had the omnivore menu and my husband the vegetarian one. Some
dishes were great , some underwhelming and some too salty..........The
overall impression was of somewhere trying a bit too hard and missing.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed in a Mountain View room which to be honest unless you tucked yourself in the the co you the mountains weren't in view. The room itself was comparable to a 4 star room in Melb, pleasant but not worh $340 given you check in at 3 and out less than 24 hours. We were there when it was raining as a result the non sealed car park became very wet/ mushy underfoot and was not good for the shoes. At that price you shouldn't have to put up with that.
The restaurant - we decided on the tasting menu and I must say some of the plates I would go back for but the rest was nice but not mind blowing. When they describe it as a tasting menue , that's exactly what it it, just a taste. We also decided on picking our own wine and had a couple of middle of the road french wines. We also asked for sparkling water, be warned this is an absolute rip, our glasses were topped up at every opportunity and it's hard to keep track of how many bottles you are consuming, in the end the bill for the water alone is excessive.
Final bill $400+ per couple , I understand it's fine dining and there are at least 3 people looking after you and the food is really good but not worth it. $800 in less than 24 hours I can't justify. The previous week we dined at Rosetta's at Crown in Melbourne again a high end restaurant and for 6 people, wine water and cocktails included, superb food , substantial serves with impeccable service was half the price per person.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our recent stay at the Royal Mail was overshadowed by an outrageously over priced and undersized evening meal. I also do not expect at $150 a head to be charged for soft drink and coffee. The citrus Eton mess was frankly not worthy to be presented as a high end restaurant meal. Very disappointed and will not be returning.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Debra S
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have just spent the weekend at the Royal Mail in Dunkeld. We were there mainly for the races and to experience all that i had heard about the Hotel. We had drinks at the bar on Friday afternoon and was shocked when the barman only filled my champagne 2/3rds of the way, I couldn't be bothered saying anything. Firstly the accomodation was good we were in the Mulberry house and it is a very large 4 bedroom house. It was good for our needs as there were 4 couples. The furniture could do with some updating as it looks really tired and doesn't really match the price charged as it was $1380 for 2 nights.
We had booked for the Calcutta Dinner on the Friday night. It was described as a 3 course meal, matching local wines and tea and coffee.
The meal started with a very small selection cold terrines, pate, pickles and salmon. This course was shared between the 11 of us on 3 plates(about the size of a dinner plate) with some bread. We were given a fish cake each.
The main was a tiny portion of pork with 2 baby carrots and 2 scallops.
Dessert followed and it was a birds nest meringue broken up (about 4 mouthfuls) with a teaspoonful of sorbet and a tiny pieces of fruit.
The wine was either a white or a red, not explained to us in any way just offered and glasses filled. What happened to the matching of local wines with the courses?
The meal was good without being amazing and at $150 a head i thought the price was outrageous. We were all still hungry and to add insult to injury they charged us on top of that for tea and coffee and the 2 non drinkers diet cokes!
We had to approach the manager and querie the bill and they said it was a mistake. I hope it was and not an attempt to milk us for more money. The extras were not charged for but they were not really extras as it was a set menu including tea and coffee. All the staff would have known it was a set price.
I felt like we were taken advantage of as they had a captive audience. I do not accept the old, you should have spoken up or complained, as when i get charged $150 a head up front i expect something pretty amazing. I don't want my night ruined by having to tell people how to do their job. I did not want to make a fuss and ruin the fun we were having with our friends.
This meal was pretentious and an insult to my intelligence. One should never be hungry at the end of a $150 meal.
Breakfast the next day was adequate if you were in a motel. We were wanting some jam and were told there was none as they had run out but there was none the day before, small complaint but this was a big weekend in Dunkeld so wouldn't you be prepared?
Dunkeld is an amazing place with incredible views of the Grampians. This hotel is set in a beautiful spot.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marras01
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This was our second stay at the Royal Mail hotel and unfortunately the standards have dropped significantly.

We had booked the deluxe mountain view room and were initially provided with a room in the row closer to the road. The view from these rooms is substandard compared to the views from the rooms further away from the road. You basically have a view of the pool and the the front row of rooms. As the hotel was not full there was no problems in relocating to the rooms with the nicer views. Not sure why the hotel would charge the same for both rows of rooms as one definitely has a deluxe view whilst the other doesn't. Also not sure why we would be allocated a non-deluxe view room when they clearly had space. The rooms are otherwise very pleasant with a fabulous view of the southern Grampians.

The key disappointment was, however, our dinner. Having dined there a few years ago during the heyday of the restaurant it was sad to see how the standards had dropped. We selected the shorter of the tasting menus which contained a few sublime dishes. The eucalyptus smoked Flinders Island wallaby was amongst the finest dishes I have ever sampled. Yet this was overshadowed by the fact that the bread they served was practically carbonized. For a so called fine dining restaurant the kitchen had managed to send out a blackened pumpernickel bread that had clearly cooked for too long. A taste of it left a bitter taste in my mouth for most of the dinner. Having looked at the other tables I couldn't help but notice that everyone else had the same blacked bread. I pointed out the charred bread to the sommeliere who seemed somewhat embarrassed as he shrugged his shoulders but neither apologized nor brought new bread. Funnily enough the sommeliere provided some of the finest wine matching I have ever had.

Overall the meal was fine but not up to the standard that I would expect at that price class.

The final source of irritation was the breakfast. The room includes a continental breakfast in the bistro. The selection was quite spartan although just acceptable. But having spent $1000 for an 18 hour stay with dinner I would expect coffee to be included. You can access a complimentary cup of coffee from the urn or pay $4 for a long back. Ridiculous parsimony if you were to ask me.

Unlikely to stay again despite the beautiful setting. The final indication that staff are clearly aware that all is not right was checking out of the hotel. Due to the fact that there were some printer issues my wife spent five minutes speaking with the receptionist and despite a lot of conversation she did not ask once whether we had enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

The setting is wonderful from our modern and spacious room looking directly at the Grampians.
The first part of our degustation meal was superb however a couple of the latter courses were ordinary and the duck was undercooked and tough.

The accompanying wines were well chosen, complemented our meal and were highly unusual.
The breakfast menu was very mundane with better selections available at any Melbourne corner cafe. Worse still, I selected the smoked salmon omelette but was denied it as there was no salmon! Our cooked breakfast of Toulouse sausages and eggs was not worth the wait - the eggs were drastically undercooked with still runny whites and the sausages were completely bland. The final disappointment was being charged extra for a latte. At about $1k for the room and meals it seemed poor form...

Mike.hodgson@naissance.com.au

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike H
Scott H, General Manager at Royal Mail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Mike

Thank you very much for choosing to stay and dine with us and for your review. Thank you also for leaving your name and e-mail address which means that I could immediately have a telephone conversation with you and you can be provided with the highest levels of customer service and I can get the best out of your comments and feedback.

As discussed on the telephone your feedback is welcomed and will be used to improve our product and service and once again please accept my sincerest apologies where we did not meet your expectations.

I look forward to you contacting me personally when you are planning to return.

Kind regards

Scott Horn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Comfort Inn Grange Burn
Grampians View Bed and Breakfast
Aquila Eco Lodges
Aquila Eco Lodges
#2 of 5 in Dunkeld

Been to Royal Mail Hotel? Share your experiences!