“Missed the expected mark.”

Royal Mail Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Price range: US$44 - US$131
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Royal Mail Hotel Dining Room has been awarded '2 hats' by the Age Good Food Guide 2015 & 2016. The Dining Room serves innovative, seasonally driven menu that draws from the extensive organic kitchen garden - reputed as the largest and most productive restaurant kitchen garden in Australia. The Dining Room wine list has been awarded 'Best Hotel Wine List, worldwide, by Fine Wine UK. The cellar houses over 26,000 bottles and wines can be served matched to each course of the five or eight course chefs tasting menus.
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We had wante to make it to RMH for many years after so much hype and friends rave reviews.
First of all, Dunkeld and it's surrounds are fantastic and worth the trip alone. The Grampians are a spectacular backdrop to this venue.
We opted for the omnivore tasting. The staff were more than obliging with dietary requirements.
The service was very attentive and the sommelier very knowledgeable to guide you through the encyclopaedia that is the wine list. Superb cellar for all budgets.
However, the food was lacking in imagination and never achieved any highs, nor lows for that matter. The dining atmosphere is flat due to the awkward layout and the dual purpose space.
I am loathe to give a poor review, but not deserving of 5 stars and would be 3.5 if accommodation and overall experience of a weekend escape was not so satisfying. Definite room for improvement and refinement in the menu.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My partner and I stayed two nights at the Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld and dined there twice. Once in the Bistro section and once in the Restaurant section. We also had breakfast there as well as lunch in their bar (separate kitchen and menu).
We must say that we very impressed with the Bistro and the Restaurant (not to mention breakfast). To begin with all their bread is baked on the premises. The butter is freshly churned butter, their attention to the freshness of ingredients is worthy of the very best restaurants in Australia. They have the second largest wine list in the Southern Hemisphere and it includes very difficult to get vintages and wines. We did not wish to spend too much on wines and the sommelier Ben was extremely helpful and knowledgeable assisting us to select some very nice wines at reasonable prices. But all the staff worked incredibly smoothly as a team and they were all very knowledgeable about their produce and dishes. We visited their one acre private garden where Michelle the horticulturalist provides the restaurant with the freshest possible organically grown produce, all of which are Heirloom varieties. This ensures you are served with prime produce on a seasonal basis. As and example we had the asparagus and it was superb! You can argue about the price of the degustation menu and with this type of dining you may find that not all the dishes are to your liking. However you cannot argue about the quality of the food and the service. If the degustation menu is not your cup of tea then simply dine in the bistro section (the food is prepared in the same kitchen). All in all a memorable stay for foodies like us and we will definitely come again.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

A couple of years ago my husband and I ate at the Royal Mail bistro purely because we were staying in Dunkeld at the Southern Champions Cabins. We had a great time and thought we should organise our other friends to come and stay for a few days and enjoy.
Two years later that's what happened and we were very disappointed. The menu was listless to say the least and it was very hard to make choices.
At $90 per head for 2 courses, a pre dinner drink and a glass of wine we were VERY disappointed

Reviewed 18 September 2013

The restaurant is not designed with families in mind. In the end we felt very uncomfortable in the restaurant so decided to get room service instead.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

In June, a friend and I arranged to stay for 2 days at the Royal Mail in Dunkeld. We, immensely enjoyed our degustation meal with matched wines. Especially, the entrees were spectacular. My friend had the Vegetarian choice however, my courses were with meat, yet most of the courses were also mostly Vegetarian based. We enjoyed each course, there was nothing we didn't like. At times, the wine matching, though surprising, felt it was too intense and overpowered some of the very delicate flavours of the food. Yet, it was all good and this should not be a criticism, as palate is such a personal thing. Service was very friendly and relaxed, also the ambiance of the dining room is spacious, perhaps a tad 'cool', yet it was cosy, as outside the winter weather wasn't so nice. Breakfast the next morning, was in my opinion a bit plain. I expected freshly baked rolls, or croissants but it didn't taste as such. Coffee was, sorry not what should be expected at this level and there wasn't much choice either. I also ate lunch and dinner at the pub twice, which was very tasty and probably better than most pub lunches I ever ate. There's the open fire place in the pub, it is warm and the atmosphere is very friendly. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the Royal Mail. I will rate the Hotel separately. Thank you for making this a good experience.