“Wouldn't rate it at all.”

Feathertop Alpine Lodge
Sydney, Australia
“Wouldn't rate it at all.”
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Stayed recently with my daughter, he took one look at us and made a room switch. We were given a tiny room with a bunk bed. It was very claustrophobic. I felt that John (owner) was so over it all. Service was so bad and I was very apologetic every time I had to ask for something. The only time he tried to have a conversation with me was to try to make me dine in his restaurant. Would go back to Falls creek but would get a self catering apartment next time. Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank NB36

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2010

When you first walk in to Feathertop Lodge, you cant help but feel the warmth and calming atmoshpere that welcomes you. Rustic wood features combined with corrugated metal and modern lighting blend well together and just as this eclectic mix of old world charm and contemporary decore and music compliment each other so perfectly, so do the range of guests there during my stay. From the single 20 year old lad on a birthday retreat, to the experienced couple sharing the ski adventures like a second honeymoon, to the three beautifully groomed girls on a working weekend, to the young couple giggling across the breakfast table, to myself, the sole parent of two children under five; each of us, despite our individual lifestyles fit togehter in this comfortable and cosy lodge.

For me, it is the little one percenters that really make a difference, rather than the grandeur of luxurious rooms and a barister on call 24 hours a day. It is those small almost insignificant touches that I notice as, potentially they amount to a 100% + experience.

Here are some of those moments that have inspired me to visit Feathertop Alpine Lodge again. Mark, the chef joking with my kids and taking the time to make them laugh each morning at breakfast. Ricky's infectious smile and genuine little brother kind of conversation even when not on duty. Rosa's knowledge and experience on the restuarant floor and the way she seems to effortlessly guide and motivate the staff around her. Lucy has an essence about her that makes three year old girls, 35 year old Mums and all the men in between and beyond, just feel welcome and content. Jason, willingness to share his recipe for my favourtie condiment on the cheese platter and then of course the father and son team who pull everything together with a smile on their face and a obvious committment for making guests enjoy their stay.

John, the proprietor, is the kind of guy who talks passionately about his business, listens to guest feedback, says good morning, good afternoon or goodnight without passing you by in silence; sits with you at the bar long after the dinner crowd has left and pours you a drink; shares his stories, enjoys hearing about you adventures in life, remembers a face, knows almost all there is to know about falls Creek, drives you around the village instead of juggling children and skis on the shuttle bus, adds a cheeky comment in from time to time to get a laugh, takes it peronally when a guest is unhappy, kicks his staff out of bed early mid week to go and enjoy the slopes, crowns the kids Kings of the Playstation, praises the snow man building efforts and takes the photo for you to remember and invites oyu back next season with a promise of another no fuss, family friendly stay.

If your accomodation priorities are wonderfully down to earth, happy staff, who treat every guest as a friend of family member; an incredible selection of exquisite meals; free tea and coffee 24/7, relaxed, moody music and interior througout the main dining area and a clean, compact room, where you plan to simply retreat at the end of the day, for a hot shower, late night news on the tv, good heating and a comfy bed; then you need to consider Feathertop Alpine Lodge.

I have already starting to plan a group of ladies to visit during the off season for a scrapbook retreat; Next year I intent to spend at least a week at Feathertop, with my children again enjoying the slopes and snow and who knows; it might be the perfect weekend get away for that new man in my life or my fortieth birthday with the girls.....

I will be honest and say I am not one to bother usually to reccomend places to people or write reveiws, but as I said it is rare that you find this many memorable 1% moments that make you enjoy a top holiday

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank sallyn6
Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Stayed here for a weekend ski trip. For the price paid, I expected decent service. We got this some of the time, but other times I was left feeling like I had asked for a special favour when all I was asking for was something basis. For example, when asking for a coffee in the morning, the owner replied by complaining about his staff and then saying he would see what he could do. When asked a second time, we finally got our coffee (half way through breakfast). On the second morning, despite ordering breakfast first, the owner (+1) were served first. And whilst breakfast is included in the price, unless you want to drink instant, decent coffee is extra.
The lodge area serves as a public restaurant and bar. It is a great area, but on the first night there was a function meaning we had to go out elsewhere. There is also no bar food available after skiing (not even crisps, peanuts or dips). You are required to order from the restaurant menu, with tapas being the only real option. The prices are high end restaurant prices, which are reasonable for the quality of food served, but not what I wanted or was prepared to pay for after coming in for a quick snack after skiing.
Our rooms were not made up at any time during the stay and we were left using the same we towels each day.
We were also woken up each morning by the fire alarm. These things happen, but tow mornings in a row? and you would think you would get an apology!!!
The positive notes are the owner is very friendly most of the time and after skiing always made sure liquid refreshments were available. There is live ambient music from 4pm after skiing and the lodge is otherwise very comfotamble.
With a bit more attention to customer service, this could be a great place, but for the time being there a better places available for the rates being charged.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank JTG98
Lorne, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed at Feahtertop lodge for the coldest week of the 2008 ski season. Unfortunately for 3 nights of our stay the heating and hot water didn't work. Given our "deluxe" room had painted besser brick walls and snow almost to the eaves outside, it made nearly half our stay very unpleasant. Obviously these things can happen and the lodge did its best to get the problem fixed. However this did not extend to either the owner or manager actually going to pick up the parts they were waiting for, instead they were skiing and on one evening relaxing in the spa when we returned. It was a shame they were not busy at least servicing our room which for some reason was overlooked on two of the days we were there, so we even had to go in search of dry towels to dry ourselves after our cold showers! After our week long stay at full rates with extra meals and drinks, the only compensation we were offered was a bottle of the cheapest wine on the menu.

Management of the lodge needs to be worked on, for example breakfast provisions ran out on the two Sundays we were there, the bread on the first Sunday and the bread and bacon on the second. Considering weekends are their busiest time this is a very poor effort. Breakfasts are cooked by anyone on the staff who is available but they are generally okay.

Part of our "deluxe" room was a television unfortuantely the owner of the lodge did not seem to know how to work the system properly and for a number of days we only had access to the one television station despite the fact that when the settings were working correctly the lodge and rooms had access to four stations. By check out day we had worked out the pecadillos of the place and asked for the bill an hour and a half before we needed to leave. We got it with 10 minutes to spare!

The lodge is ski in ski out but do be warned it is really only suitable for intermediate skiers.

On a more pleasant note the chef this season is excellent and the food worth every cent.

At the time I booked, this lodge looked to be reasonable for the price however as it turned out there was much better accommodation available for the same price at the last minute.

• Liked — The restaurant in the evenings
  • Disliked — The lack of effort put into making difficult circumstances more pleasant by the owner and manager.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank storeyanne
victoria
Reviewed 15 August 2006

Cant understand why the first review was so good, Feathertop was just a place to sleep & eat after a hard day skiing its not a stylish lodge.
It does have a friendly atmosphere.
Rooms very average, dining was nice but have had better at Falls Creek.
I think I will rent an apartment next time.

• Liked — Friendly guests
  • Disliked — Just very average
  • Tips/Secrets — If you have enough people, rent an apartment
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank peter-thom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2004

I have stayed at Feathertop several times over the past 5 years and loved it every time. The hosts Mark and Pip are fantastic, and the restaurant is the best on the mountain for food and service. Their wine list is extensive and well priced, with a good range available by the glass.
The location is perfect as you can ski from the lodge down to the Halleys Comet chairlift in the morning, and back to the hotel door via the home trail. There is quality ski hire across the road and its just a short stumble home from the Man pub.
Definitely recommended!