“Never going back!”
Review of The Hawk Inn

The Hawk Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Amport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We visited as a family but due to the terrible service only our 2 year old managed to eat lunch. The waiting staff seemingly didn't listen properly to our instructions when we ordered, failed to apply common sense and ultimately ruined our trip out for lunch. By the time our son had eaten we were still waiting for our food to arrive. it turns out that our order hadn't even been given to the kitchen. Everything took forever, the staff were generally inattentive and we left extremely disappointed. The food looked good on other tables but the service is atrocious.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank 201,212,201,212

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I have been here several times, having recently moved to the area. Sadly it is the only decent pub we have within a reasonable distance, so is popular for that reason alone with us. The food is good, I just begrudge having to pay London prices for a pub meal in Hampshire! It is also very much an eating place in the evenings, with not much seating if you want to go for a drink, especially given the size of the place. We will go back again, but only because we don't have too many other options around here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 5goabroad
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The location is fabulous and this was the perfect place to spend the evening before my wedding and afterwards. The staff were amazing and made us feel so welcome from the moment we arrived. We were given early access to one of the rooms so we could store all the wedding bits while we decorated our venue which was very much appreciated. The food was incredible and it exceeded our expectations. I was in room 7 which was a suite so I had plenty of room to get ready in on the morning of the wedding. My suite had a lovely homely feel to it with a good flat screen TV with freeview, the en-suite was spotless with plenty of lovely fluffy soft towels and it also had lots of welcomed extra's such as tissues, cotton wool, shampoo, conditioner, soap etc. The bed was extremely comfortable but on the downsize the quilt was too warm for me but easily remedied with just using the sheet. There was a good kettle in the room together with a bottle of mineral water, a selection of different tea's and also coffee. It was nice to find a fridge on the landing containing plenty of small bottles of fresh milk for each of the guests to help themselves too rather than supplying just a small amount of UHT milk. The breakfast was fantastic plenty of free choices, chunky farmhouse white and brown bread, croissants, various cereals, fresh fruit juices etc. There is also the option of a paid cooked breakfast with all the trimming but we didn't even consider this as the breakfast which came with the room was perfect. I also dined there the following day with my new husband and immediate family after a church blessing and the Hawk Inn let us use a room so that we could all get changed out of our wedding attire. I would definately stay and dine here again 5/5.

Room Tip: Go for Room 7 the view is spectacular and the room is large and well appointed
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We chose to stay here as my partner was competing in the Tough Mudder event which was only 25 minutes away so it was a great location for us. It's set in one of the most beautiful villages I have ever seen and could not have more 'postcard shots' if it tried. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded when we arrived so had one of their suite rooms which looked out over the quiet road and across over the downs, very beautiful. The decor is lovely, modern with a homely feel and very luxurious. Freshly ground coffee and fresh milk in your room are a nice touch. We ate in the restaurant and unfortunately the food didn't quite live up to the menus promise, although it was a nice feed and to be fair we did get there just as they were about to finish serving, so maybe chef was on wind down? Overall, we would definitely stay there again and recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Stopped for lunch here, delightful situation but there were four toddlers bouncing on the sofas whilst their mums enjoyed their wine at the table on the other side of the room. If There had been somewhere else to go we would have gone. However we were shown to a table in the back room, and ordered a lunch of rib rack with fries for him and veggie quesadillas for me. There were several hot sandwich specials on the menu, but I was glad I hadn't chosen that, I saw them at the next table and they were the white doorsteps. The food was good and service attentive.
Although there was a bar it did not seem like a country pub to me, not sure why...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Second time my husband and i Have stayed here in room 2 yes the plumbing is a Bit noises but my only criticism. the rooms are well appointed nice shower hot water soaps shampoo/conditioner body lotion flannels. Slippers And dressing gowns would be nice too but you cannot have every thing for £90 a night with breakfast included.
Evening meal was delicious good choices for meat eaters (I'm a veggie so as usual not a lot of choice but that's the same everywhere) so that's room for improvement ( Evan some meat eaters will eat veggie meals done wright!)
But I'm sure we will return next year.
Full marks.

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This idyllic inn in a beautiful country setting typifies English countryside. The rooms are newly renovated to a modern standard with a great shower. The beds are comfortable and there is tea and coffee available in room with fresh milk down the hall. Pub/restaurant attached, but kitchen is closed for some hours during the afternoon. Helpful staff. Delicious continental breakfast included with French pastries and fresh fruit. Reasonable price includes wifi.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amport
Best Western Andover Hotel
The White Horse Inn & Restaurant
George & Dragon
George & Dragon
#1 of 1 in Hurstbourne Tarrant

Been to The Hawk Inn? Share your experiences!