“Good cheap accommodation for an overpriced tourist area”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Halls Gap
Brambuk Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Halls Gap can be very expensive during the school holidays so due to price,chose to stay at Brambuk with my son, in a twin room. Not the most modern of facilities and yet it had everything we required, ensuite, good kitchen facilities, linen provided and a good deck area to sit on and watch the wildlife. Good location as a base for Grampian activities.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MelbournePam

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I wanted to stay at a different hostel in the area, but they were booked so I found Brambuk on google. Though reception was closed, the guy told me where to find a key and to help myself. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm with ensuite. It was nice there was a heater in the room, as I would have froze without it. The bed was comfortable and I got a good sleep. The room did not appear to be very clean. Spare blankets were shoved into and laying over the lockers, when I pulled my bag from under the bed it was covered in thick dust bunnies, there was hair all over the bathroom floor and mould growing up the walls in the shower room. The common room had couches, a fireplace and TV. The kitchen is well equipped but looked like the hostel leaves it up to the guests to do all the cleaning and never gives everything a once over. Overall, this place was standard and got me through the night. If ever in the Grampians again, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank greenbeanjean26
Brambuk, General Manager at Brambuk Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Sorry to hear you had some issues with cleanliness. At the time of your stay we had new staff on and some of the cleaning may not of been up to standard. This has now been rectified. Thankyou.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed in a 8 person dorm at the hostel in June for a long weekend for some hiking in the Grampians. The woman at the reception was really nice and showed me around. The room and the ensuite bathroom at the dorm was clean. There was a oil heater in the room and also additional blankets if you needed them in winter. The big common area with the couches and the wooden fire is really nice to share a glas of wine with fellow travellers and be warm and cozy after a day in the Grampians. If you don't have a car it is a short walk from the city centre to the hostel. After all would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pfuchti
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed at Brambuk in a double. I was very excited because the room was en-suite, but then saw that the bathroom had not been cleaned at all. I gave it a wipe over, and it was very obvious to me that the sink, toilet, and shower had not been touched since the last guests had used them. There was also what looked like bird mess on the inside of the window ledge. Would not recommend staying here.
However, I would definitely recommend crossing the street to the cultural centre at dusk - saw lots of kangaroos!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alc123
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We did the rock art tour with our guide Rooney and it was really wonderful and would recommend this to anyone who wants a taste of this wonderful culture. Rooney not only gave us an insight into the area but cooked us a bush tucker lunch that was amazing.
Cheers to Rooney and Brambuk

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This place was more than just a hostel. It has a large and cozy lounge for you to rest and relax. The fireplace helps a lot too during cold nights. The couple who own (or run) the place were really nice, friendly and helpful. Rooms were also very clean. If I were to visit Halls Gap again, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2011

This was one of the most memorable trips we have ever had. Staying at Brambuk was a great experience. Allan the manager and his wife are really friendly and helpful. He gives great tips and advice for enjoying the Grampians National Park. Service was absolutely great, the kitchen is big, good appliances. Our Room was very tidy, Shower really good. You can walk near at the hostel and you will find Kangaroos, Emus and beautiful birds. You can also experience of Aboriginal Culture in a personal way. The price is very good and the service is excellent. We want to go back again!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple