“There's no place like the Chalets”
Review of Grampians Chalets

Grampians Chalets
Ballarat, Australia
“There's no place like the Chalets”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Grampians Chalets this time last year and we loved it!! The price was right and the service was fantastic, We stayed in the deluxe Chalet and was amazed at the abundent wildlife right at our door, we had different kinds of birds coming up to eat out of our hands and had wonderful lounge chairs to lay on the deck directly in front of the small lake where ducks were swimming and kangaroos were playing on the horizon, the wine was immensely enjoyed while we were relaxing in the spa and taking in the ambiance of the gas log fire and the electric blankets on the king sized bed were very appreciated, we enjoyed it so much that we booked for this years anniversary and cant wait to be back and do it all over again. T and A Zuecker.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alana z

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed at one of the deluxe chalets for two nights and it was gorgeous. Beautiful interior, cosy and luxurious in the middle of an amazing setting. We had kangaroos grazing outside our chalet and when it rained the spa bath and complimentary DVD service was most appreciated. Friendly service - so good we stayed an extra night. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank raqsabroad
adelaide
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We booked two nights at Grampian Chalets because of good reviews on Tripadvisor.

However, on arrival in mid afternoon the cabin was very cold. The reverse cycle heating unit didn't work and we were surprised when the managers told us that the previous guests had experienced the same problem. This was not fixed throughout our stay. The gas fire failed to work on the final morning which was freezing cold. We were told it was a regular problem and were offered a very ineffectual electric heater. There were no instructions in the chalet and we didn't even know that there was an electric blanket.

The location was excellent and the cabin was high quality but the cleaning routine needs attention. There were cobwebs and dirt in corners, the tops of the fridge, microwave and cooker hood were dirty and dusty.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank expatozAdelaide
syzmczak, Owner at Grampians Chalets, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
we were very sorry about the airconditioner and did have a problem the day before but thought we had fixed it, unfortunately it was a faulty capaciter. The problem was it worked then shut off.
The refridgeration mechanic replaced the fitting the next day . The gas log fire had a carbon
build up and refused to start, a safety feature, unfortunately the same day. Electric blankets are standard in all chalets as advertised. A electric fan heater was supplied to help out our guests.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Grampians Chalets and upgraded to the couples suite once we got there. Our chalet was on the pond at the back of the property, and had nice views and local kangeroos as neighbours. The chalet was spacious, comfortable and not too badly priced, with a comfortable king size bed and spa. The location was close to the township and close to some of the nearby walks. Reception had DVDs that you could borrow free of charge but the Austar didn't seem to work. We also couldn't get the air conditioner to work and there was no wood for the fire.

It was only on check out that I noticed a sign at reception that mentioned a $50 cleaning charge if the kitchen isn't left cleaned, which I think is ridiculous considering the price of the room and the fact that its not a hostel or caravan park. We went back and washed our few dishes but I think management should rethink this policy, or at the least, mention it when people check in.

Room Tip: Book on of the couples suites
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leelou28
syzmczak, Owner at Grampians Chalets, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
The gas log fire only requires gas, not logs. All chalets have dishwashers for washing dishes.
Reviewed 21 January 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights. The hospitality from the owners was superb- very helpful.
Close to main shops, local zoo and several grampians walks- beautiful wildlife so near.
Would definitely go back!
My kids loved it!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Vandysh
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2011

The Grampians Chalets are a delightful experience. Inclusive of a fully functional kitchen, massive bathroom with large sized shower. The spa bath was gorgeous, also the technological equipment is up to date. A surround sound theatre system inclusive of large plasma screen TV with a comfortable chaise lounge to relax on. Outdoor sun loungers to relax on the balcony. On arrival a bottle of champagne was easily consumed while a yabbie pot is organized in the wetlands for you, there are plenty to be caught! Or simply relax and watch the wildlife. Kangaroos, resident kookaburras which can be hand fed, resident ducks and ducklings taking swimming lessons, but most importantly, the bed was SO COMFORTABLE!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Shang Hai
Reviewed 6 January 2011

When I checked in I felt very good on the chalet's considitions and it seems worth with 170$ per night.
But such good feeling was broken by a supprised credit bill when I back Melboune, that hotel charged to me 50$ addtionally WITHOUT any notice although they have my mobile and email! I had to call back them and got to know what happened.... The reason is I didnt clean the kitchen facilities. They didnt have enough staff during holiday, so they had to charge to me.

It's very unfair to me. Either when I made the booking, or when I check in, hotel staff never mentioned such terms or possible charge. In hotel website, it says nothing about such charges. Expecially they didnt contact me and use my credit card without permission of me. This is quite poor service and impolite I have to say.
I tried to negotiate with them later on but they didn show any good faith to solve this problem. What a disappointed service!

Actually this hotel locates in a small area with groups of hotels. Most of them have similar conditions, so there are many choices and I didnt choose a smart hotel for my trip......
My friend went there with me and he ever stayed in YHA of Grampians. He regreted to choose this hotel, YHA is much better for a person who wanna a pleased trip.....

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LaurenceLuan
syzmczak, Owner at Grampians Chalets, responded to this review, 9 January 2011
Our guest left very happy and praised us on our establishment. Then I went to chalet a complete mess, plates left on table with breakfast leftovers, utensils left on/in fry pan, dirty
dishes left on sink. Red wine spilt on doona. He told me that because I had not told him he had to do dishes he could leave as is. We have dishwashers in every chalet ,HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT DISHES IN WASHER?