“Coming back........”

Mountain Grand Guest House
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Halls Gap
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A quiet elegant setting in a little village. Top class service, meal and atmostphere. Steaks cooked just as we asked and the sides were delicious. Good choice of local wines. Great place to eat it you want a change from pub or cheap eats. Not expensive and they were very welcoming to families as well. We will eat there again next time we are in the area. City quality in a country setting you cant beat. I dare you to try it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mountain Grand Guest House

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Tony was a friendly guest and told us that we were upgraded when we arrived! Therefore I am writing a comment on the deluxe room. The bed was really comfortable with electric blanket. The shower was really good (pressure, hot water). We had the lounge room for ourselves which was really nice but it could fit many people as there are lots of couches, cosy areas in the communal areas (tv lounge, lounge...) downstairs there is also a restaurant but we didn't go. The location is really good a d you get to see the kangaroos in the garden! clean and screens on windows.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with my partner. We booked the package deal which included breakfast and dinner on both days. On arrival my first thought was how cold the guest house was. Although there are heaters in the rooms, the hallways and even the restaurant was extremely cold. I had to wear my coat through dinner on both nights.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and I had no complaints about the atmosphere .

The rooms are very small, but this had been pointed out to us when we made the reservation.

The food was average, the breakfast was small and not very appetising. The tea and coffee were cold on both mornings.

The dinner was average also, the first night was very disapointing, as I had waited so long for the meal and then to find it was not good. The second night the food was better but still not amazing.

The location was excellent, located directly accross from all the amenities in Halls Gap. If you are looking for a one night stop over then I would recommend this, but please bring your coat!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noggie_12
Reviewed 19 June 2013

It might seem expensive at first glance, but the fact that the stay includes a full continental breakfast and a three course dinner, it’s really good value for money. It’s a nice clean room with a fantastic shower. We picked this place because the meals were included, so after a long day outside exploring the Grampians, it saved us driving around looking for food. In the morning we could just have breakfast and get going. Overall, a good three nights' stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This is the second time that we have stayed at Mountain Grand Guest House and it won't be that last. We stayed this time for a short break and though the weather was a bit wet and cold, it was anything but that at the guest house. The room was warm and cosy and the host, Don was very helpful and made certain that we lacked in nothing. We had breakfast and dinner in the dining room each day and that too was excellent. Meals were serve promptly and brought to the table piping hot and the prices were very reasonable. Atmosphere in the dining room was good with Don checking regularly to see if all was alright. A great experience in a lovely surround. We will be back there in about 4 months time when the weather is finer and you can get around a bit more.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Only wanted to book for Saturday night, however Don told us it was a 2 night minimum and that most of the Halls Gap accommodation was the same. He told us that there was only one room left, we booked it as we had to get up early on Sunday morning to participate in the 6km walk.
When we arrived we found that there were no cars parked outside. The onsite Managers, "Tony and Robyn" were really helpful, they told us that we were the only ones staying that night, (Don had led us up the garden path), we opted to go out that evening for dinner as there were no others staying and it wouldn't really be viable for the kitchen to cook for just 2 of us. Tony was ok with that, Sat night a few more people arrived. We could not fault the breakfast that we had on both days, and the meal and Jazz music on Saturday was plentiful and enjoyable. Our room, although small, was clean, and our kingsize bed was very comfortable. There was no hair dryer in the bathroom and also no fridge in our room. The majestic Mountain Grand is a lovely old building and I am sure that if the Managers were given their way, it would be returned to the way it would have been in yesteryear. Thankyou to Tony and Robyn for a very nice weekend.
(if anyone rings for a booking, beware of Don,and you can book for 1 night on a normal weekend.
Good Luck to Tony and Robyn

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne1957_56
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Although I'd pre-booked and paid, my first impression was to try elsewhere. The place was deserted when I arrived, and I had to ring the bell multiple times before someone (I found out later that it was tony, but he didn't introduct himself at the time) let me in. The room I had was clean which was the only reason I didn't turn around and walk out. The heater was effective but ridiculously noisy; there was no tv or fridge or extra blankets. Only three other couples were apparently staying, althought I only saw one. I elected to do dinner and breakfast elsewhere, which seemed to put my "host" off-side. In summary, if you want a clean bed and an amenable host - try the hostel. If you want more, try one of the many other accom options. I wish I had.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo