Healesville Hotel
Ranked #7 of 52 Restaurants in Healesville
Price range: US$12 - US$26
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Old world charm with new world style, this classic country hotel is at the heart of the Yarra Valley. We are now offering great food, seven days of the week using the best of the season and region. Choose from a selection of smaller snacks and tastes to nibble on with your glass of local wine... Next, let us carve some of our famous K&B charcuterie; Italian parma ham, bresaola, Spanish salamis, and our house made pork, veal and pistachio terrine... served with crusty bread, little pickled vegetables and caper berries. Our kitchen are slow cooking local lamb shoulders for 12 hours... and roasting local Berkshire pork belly. Finish with Sophie's selection of perfectly ripened cheeses, hand picked from our copper cheese cabinet in our providore, Kitchen & Butcher. Our new menu also features hearty classic 'pub style' dishes to satisfy the hungriest diner.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

To take a break from meandering between wineries in the Yarra valley my wife and I dropped into the Healesville Hotel for lunch. Admittedly we didn't have a reservation but that shouldn't be reason for such a calamity of issues from the moment we arrived. There are some 'no brainier' basics that customers come to expect...here are a few we encountered first hand. If you seat guests at a table ensure it is fully set or promptly return to do so. Provide menus.... Oh and ask if a drink could be fetched. Ensure the meat content on the menu item is actually in the dish...oops...back it goes. Whilst eating the entree don't bring out the mains. Although the waiter looked confused and rather sad....he was sent back to the kitchen plates in hand. I'm pretty confident that those dishes sat under a heat lamp in the kitchen until
we were ready! Whilst eating mains I reached out to waiting staff for napkins for each of us - they happily helped out. Out of curiosity, after our disappointing experience I trawled some recent tripadvisor reviews and saw common themes throughout. The decor and atmosphere are wonderful and the food just OK (saganaki entree horribly overcooked - feedback given to waiter but doubt it ever made it back to the kitchen staff). Management needs to get back in touch with good old fashioned hospitality basics. Unlikely to return or recommend.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yarravalleyharvest, Owner at Healesville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thanks for the feedback and we sincerely apologise for what was obviously a disappointing visit. All feedback is taken very seriously and your comments have been discussed in detail with the entire Management team. Easter public holidays do put a lot of pressure on the depth of our team as you have noted with your review.

We hope that one day we can see you again and perhaps show that this is not the norm but rather a rare exception. Kind regards Michael

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This cosy pub is full of flavor!
First timers in the lovely area of Healesville we were recommended to stay at the Healesville Hotel.
We had booked dinner in the fine dining area of the hotel after a day out, it was a great way to end to our night! We were treated by the friendly staff and given a memorable night with excellent customer service, especially a lovely lady called Heather. She and the other wait staff were very educated in the knowledge of the menu and wine and made us feel very welcome. We chose the 3 course option which was entree, main and cheese, wine was recommended by the waiter and was ordered on trust from his knowledgable excellence. Money well spent. The experience was amazing! We recommended to our friends who came down the following night! Thanks again.

1  Thank Danny S
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My family and I decided to stop and have dinner at the Healesville Hotel on our way home from Mt Baw Baw. Our choice was based on the lovely website and by looking at the menu before deciding. We choose to eat in the bar/outside area as we had two children with us. Our inital welcome was non-existent. Walking and standing at the bar to enquire about seating and ordering we were ignored by at least two of the staff who were too busy chatting. We finally were able to ask and were abuptly told to sit anywhere (by who were determined later was the female manager) we ordered our food which was pretty straight forward, however took quite a long time to arrive. My diner, chicken snitzel was average at best. The chicken was dry with a piece of hard pancheta sitting on top. The roasted tomatoes were warmed up,if that with a couple of them with black rotton marks or partly cut away. The other dish we ordered was steak with was tough. I did order a side dish of rice which while was not on the menu was possible, however was very dry. Childrens meal of fish and chips were the best dishes. When our dishes were taken away at the end of meal by manager she was abrupt again and didn't even enquire if our meals were ok. Maybe she knew they weren't. We were very disappointed with our experience and would not be returning

Thanks for the feedback and we sincerely apologise for what was obviously a disappointing visit.. All feedback is taken very seriously and let me assure you that the Manager in question has been counselled. It is certainly not in her general nature and the first time in six years of work that we have received such a comment regarding her customer care. We all need to be striving to improve and not fall into negative habits.

As for the food, we have taken this on board with our kitchen and are looking to refine these dishes. Our beef is usually great and our tomatoes as with most of our produce is farm grown - disappointing to hear you were not happy with the execution and this has been addressed.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My initial review of this business was rejected as the review included both the dining room and the bar/garden which have separate menus and go by different names. But....same staff, same chef, same kitchen....I guess the owners were hoping that I wouldn't bother to resubmit the review....
Having been a reasonably regular diner at the Healesville Hotel dining room over the past 3 years, I have experienced a rollercoaster of standards ranging from great meals and service to quality that really doesn't deserve the hype that this business has and generates for itself. Working in hospitality I understand the work that goes into what the owners of the Healesville Hotel set out to achieve and I have procrastinated over whether to write this review or not based on my respect for the owners. However, my 3 visits in 2014 have tipped me over the edge. My experience in Quince dining has left me uninspired. The dining room is as always presented well, clean, lovely glassware and crockery and all the little things that you expect. It is a stunning room and the owners attention to detail and style are really evident. We found the service to be friendly but somewhat overly casual and relaxed with things being forgotten or taking a very long time to arrive. Pre dinner drinks arrived promptly, yet we found it almost impossible to get another glass of wine....we didn't receive another drink until half way through our entrees. We ordered a bottle of wine to have with mains, which couldn't be found, so we ordered another....which arrived after our mains. It was just hard work to get what we wanted....which really wasn't anything other than what you would expect. The food was good. Clinton's presentation is beautiful, although we did feel that the entrees were like little main courses and that a couple of the main courses were similar in size to an entrée. Lovely use of local produce, but needs to be more of each component on some dishes so you can actually taste it. Main courses weren't hot....some components barely warm. We mentioned this to the staff who sent the manager (Cam) to our table, but his response was abrupt, telling us that the food is served at the temperature it should be and other than re ordering our dishes there wasn't much he could do. Desserts lovely to look at and eat, but some flavours so delicate it was hard to pick up. The managers attitude really put a sour note on our Quince experience. Which unfortunately is a common theme in my experience. I would be happy to go back for the food with a realistic expectation of what I would be getting. The service and attitude really is pot luck....some parts good, most parts not so good.

1  Thank Mr T
Yarravalleyharvest, Owner at Healesville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Following on to your feedback I am unsure as to why the initial review was posted and then taken down. As owners of course we prefer to have customers sharing positive reviews however we do not hide from any negative feedback and it is always taken on board. As I responded in your first review, we have taken the matter very seriously with our manager. He is responsible for the day to day running and ensuring customers leave happy and it is VERY disappointing to hear that he was actually the cause of much of your issue. Feedback such as yours is a wakeup call to all staff and brings to attention areas in which we need to focus training and improve consistency of both our food & service.
Sincerely Kylie

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is elegant dining. Freshly baked foccacia is delivered to the table with a good peppery olive oil drizzled over the top. you have the choice of either a 2 course for $55, or 3 course for $70. you may consider this steep but it is worth the price although I'd probably enjoy the 2 course and then come back later for the $9 desserts. I kicked off with the rabbit which was magnificent and worked wonderfully with the mataro wine we selected. Main was pork in its various forms, belly, loin chop, etc and we added carrots and potatoes as sides and were giving a salad complimentary. The chef let the ingredients shine through and the sherried carrots happily cut through the only slight fattiness of the pork. the crackling was perfect. Tony circumed to desserts with a take on cherry ripe with a chocolate gelato, coconut mousse and cherries and cherry jelly. could have had a little more influence from the coconut but otherwise a well balanced dish. coffees are good quality. The actual restaurant is quaint and worth stepping back in a time for with a nod to the necessities of today to ensure a comfortable dining experience. Waiting staff are attentive but not intrusive. Definitely worth taking a loved one to but would avoid taking the kids. It's got the Windsor feel in the country. fantastic for a relaxing, slightly romantic lunch.