“Room With A View”

Price range: US$37 - US$37
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Room With A View”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I’ve been dining at Mount RAEL (Relax And Enjoy Life) since a friend introduced me to the stunning verandah views of the Yarra Valley back in the early 2000’s. Since then I’ve had many good, and even great meals, as well as a fantastic wedding anniversary stay at their accommodation a few years ago.

So it was with some excitement we decided to lunch again at this venue - this time with different owners and Executive Chef John Knoll who promised we’d be “seduced by the bounty of local produce” and that the menu “respect[s] its integrity with a clean approach”.

I’d forgotten how incredibly steep the driveway to get up to the restaurant was – it’s gotten worse in recent years and would benefit from sealing the lower steeper section and grading the top section – only then would we feel like we don’t need a 4 wheel drive to make it up the hill. The gardens are looking particularly lovely and the additional of sculptures are a visually pleasing touch.

The layout of the restaurant has not changed – crisp white table cloths and napkins donned the array of indoor and outdoor tables, and water, wine glasses and cutlery all sparking in the sunlight. All of this just the introduction to that view – one of the best in the valley and the main reason you come here. And after a bout of early morning rain we were delighted that the view of the valley presented us with some low cloud surrounding the hills which made for a sensational moving vista as it lifted over the course of our meal.

Unfortunately our ordering was seriously delayed by another diner who insisted on nabbing the only wait staff’s attention for a full 20 minutes as she painstakingly went through almost every single item on the menu, dissecting the ingredients and determining a) what they were and b) whether chef could amend them. Don’t get me wrong, accommodating dietary requirements is fine, but this was taken to the nth degree and seemed somewhat unreasonable. After all questions were answered (including what’s Venison) and the order placed (the pasta must be true al dente – firm to the tooth – and if chef couldn’t cook it properly she didn’t want it) it was finally our turn. It would have been more helpful if the wait staff had asked another staff member to come and assist rather than leave us dangling and hungry. I know I’ve gone on a bit long about it here but seriously people, consider others when you dine (and while I’m at it turn your mobiles onto vibe – another of my pet hates).

It was also a disappointment that the menu on display at Long Gully Estate winery was not the one on offer when we arrived. However the new Summer menu had some promising starters – we decided to share the Juniper berry spiced Yarra Valley venison Carpaccio, raspberry vinegar, olive oil and sour dough soppets but our first taste revealed the dish was so over salted we had no choice but to send it back. The unsalted replacement dish was absolutely delightful. The raspberry vinegar cut perfectly through the rich wafer thin slices of venison. And the texture of the crispy sour dough crumbs was a stark and pleasing contrast to the soft and luscious meat. A perfect dish without the salt. $18.50

For main I ordered the Slow poached pork fillet in Punt Road apple cider, slow roasted pear, frisbe, chutney and crackling. On ordering I was advised that the fillet had been replaced by a baked loin which I was told would be “more fatty”, this also should have meant it was moister and would have more flavour. Unfortunately was incredibly dry, very over cooked and just plain tough to get through. The slow baked pear and chutney were too similar and I think the dish would have benefited from removing one of them. Poorly executed. $37.

My husband ordered the Chargrilled Little Cattle Creek scotch fillet, ricotta, garlic butter, rocket and radish. It was ordered medium well but came well done. My husband thought the dish would have been better without the ricotta, I thought it added and extra element. The flavour of the meat was good, but would have benefited from being cooked to order. The Dijon we asked to accompany the steak was not received, and after a second request it arrived only once the steak had gone cold. Disappointing. $37.50

Unfortunately our meal was not turning out to be the culinary adventure we had hoped and we really didn’t feel like we could push our luck with dessert, so we opted to pay the bill and leave at that point.

From a service perspective Restaurant 3777 was more efficient and conservative (think snooty) and less friendly than it has been in recent years. The complimentary bread was stale, very unappealing and just plain disappointing after the flourish of ceremony with which the olive oil and balsamic were dispensed.

Fortunately some constructive feedback to front of house yielded a 20% discount on our bill (the table next to us had also complained about the ‘tough’ pork and ‘overcooked’ steak). Mount Rael and John Knoll and team are capable of really great things if only they can get it together.

My Rating: 65/100 (despite 18/20 for ambience)

Visited January 2012

Essendon
“Off the Raels...”
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We've been to Mt Rael 3777 a few times now. Technically Mt Rael is everything you could want from a restaurant, that is, it's perched up high with sweeping views into Healesville......but it lacks the warmth I have come to know (and expect) in Yarra Valley dining. a little pretentious perhaps.

1 Thank Groeneveld
Hawthorn, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous service, fabulous view, excellent food”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My wife and I have just returned from our third visit in as many years to this fantastic restaurant in the beautiful Yarra Valley. Every time we go we enjoy it immensely, regardless of the time of year we visit. In the warmer months we have been lucky enough to snare a balcony table to overlook the breathtaking vista this establishment is so famous for, and just recently we were able to enjoy the cozy wood fire roaring in the center of the restaurant.

We had the same waitress as the last time we visited, and again she was charming and knowledgeable (hold on to her, management). The food was spectacular and the wine recommendation matched it perfectly. We have yet to stay the night there but we will be sure to do so in the future.

If I had to say something bad about the place I would struggle. The driveway is a bit difficult, but we managed in our little Citroen C4 hatch and there were coaches in the car park that obviously made it up OK. The meals are a little pricey for us but we always enjoy the experience and we will definitely keep returning.

1 Thank MrPeon
Australia
“Spoiled by a mediocre main course”
Reviewed 11 March 2010

3777 has breathtaking views and a warm ambience. Due to the heavy rains we could not sit on the spacious balcony but had a window seat. Staff were friendly and efficient if perhaps a little too exuberant. We had lovely entrees of scallops with almond crust and a pasta with prawns, capers, chilli and garlic and were eagerly anticipating the rest of the meal. Twice cooked duck had run out so we both had the recommended special of the day steak, a thick Queensland eye fillet we were told, served with a ratatouille. We also ordered asparagus with goats cheese and potatoes on the side. The steaks were a disappointment. They were perfectly good and well cooked but not as thick as indicated and simply not anything special. We cook as good at home on the BBQ with a porterhouse. The ratatouille was cold (not sure if that was intentional or not). It was very tasty and contained capsicum, celery and green peppers, but for the price being charged this was a very average dish. Potatoes were plain baked and the really sad thing was the asparagus had been chargrilled almost to charcoal. I had dessert of a chocolate hazelnut flan which was quite superb. I am very critical of desserts but this was something very special. The cheese platter consisted of 3 small serves of cheese – one French blue cheese, one Italian half goat half cow and one local soft white. All very strongly flavoured and perhaps best for connoisseurs, pear, fig paste, and a home made fig salami. A little more bread would have been helpful on the platter. Cost of dinner was $200 including a $40 bottle of wine and $30 cheese platter, bottle of still water, a port and a hot chocolate. Probably worth it if the main had been better. The wait time was over 30 minutes to entree and about 30 minutes to main, a little too long for my liking. All in all I have rated the experience 3 stars or average, and if I could I would give a half a star for the views, the friendly staff and the chocolate tart, but I simply can not give 4 stars due to the cost and the comparison with other similar venues in the Healesville such as Eleanores at Chateau Yering and the Healesville Hotel Dining Room. Its worth a try but may be pot luck as to whether you get average or excellent food.

1 Thank bronnykay
Perth
“Top Food”
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This is actually a play on words because Restaurant 3777 is on top of Mt Rael and has a commanding and beautiful view down into the valley.
We ate there at night so we couldn't see as much but the twinkling lights in the distance were enchanting.
We actually ate there because another restaurant in the Valley, Cru, let us down and wasn't open when we arrived for our booking.
But the folks at Mt Rael soon soothed our irritation with their excellent, fresh, regional food and friendly, engaging service.
Everything was good as was the price.
The only thing that was challenging was the steeply ascending and thus also descending drive way but the dinner made it worth the drive.

2 Thank BeHappyM8