“Great Family Dinner”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had dinner at ther Old England tonight with my familty and friends from overseas.We found the selection and presentation of the meals to be first class. The steaks were cooked to perfection and the seafood platter for two was plentiful and good value . Next time I dine i will definately try the premium parma which was a hit with my son. We will definately be back soon to enjoy another excellent dinner at the OE.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Sunday the 29th of Dec at approx. 6 in the eve, we decided to try out the old England hotel for dinner. We were celebrating our engagement with another couple and their two kids. I decided to try their Black Angus Steak. My meal came with chunky chips and a side of wilted spinach on top of mushrooms.
As i tried my spinach i could not believe my eyes when a dead cockroach fell from within the spinach on to the plate as i moved the spinach around with my fork!! I nudged my friend who was sitting next to me and asked him what he taught it was. His partner and my partner all had a look too. We were all shocked with all our hands to our mouths as we all realised it was a dead cockroach.
I immediately called one of the staff over to complain, she laughed and said it must have come in the greens!! Disgusted i demanded to see her manager.
A man attended to us and he was very disrespectful and unapologetic to the situation. His main objective was to take my plate away as fast as possible so no other customers could see the drama. No apology was giving. I managed to take some photos with my phone just before he took the plate away. The manager then came back and offered to cook a new meal and refund me for my old meal. At this stage we were all disgusted and just wanted to up and leave. We demanded we all receive a refund for our meals as a special occasion was ruined and we were all sick to our stomachs with what we had witnessed!! After 20mins of sitting around a different young waitress appeared handing over a cash refund but didn't open her mouth.
Disgusted i asked to see her manager again. The manager returned and asked "are we all good now"?? Unbelievable, We were shocked at how rude he was.
My partner demanded they take spinach of the menu. As the manager walked off he managed to just about squeeze a "sorry" out. Disgusted!! Will never step foot in that place again!!

1  Thank Danny M
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I haven't been to the OE (as we affectionately call it) in years. I used to go regularly until several years back the food started to become, well, a bit greasy.

I recently returned after many years to dine with a disabled friend (who was in a wheelchair) as I recalled the disabled access was very good.

On arrival however we discovered they were in the midst of a renovation and most of the disabled access had been removed or blocked off. They did attempt to lay down ramps for the wheelchair, but it was not very stable and did cause us some concern. However we did manage to get settled in and place our order at the counter after queuing for quite a while during busy lunch time service (mid-week).

Opting for slightly healthier meals my friend chose the chicken satay (entree $14.90 which they upgraded to a main free of charge). It came with rice and salad and according to my friend it was pretty tasty.

I chose the fish of the day ($28.90) which was a nice portion of barramundi on top of asparagus and chat potatoes with a salsa verde. It was pretty good, although a little too much oil in the dressing for my preference. Still a lovely pub-choice and a nice change from the usual offering showing the OE has lifted their game and is providing a wide range of offerings for patrons.

A tip if you're going - go early or go late. The main eating times are jam packed and you can be queuing for quite a while to place your order. Despite this the kitchen does a pretty good job of pumping out the meals efficiently and quickly.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is one of the best hotels we have eaten out at. Lovely decor, service was very good considering it was very busy. Meals were of restaurant quality. Would definitely return. Prices were reasonable. Highly recommend

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went to the Old England for lunch just after they reopened the dining room. As usual the food was first class. I had the Chili Mussels as an entrée and the Moreton Bay Bugs as the main course. I try to OD on bugs every time I go back to OZ. The Crème Brule desert was also good. Unfortunately the service was typical of many Melbourne restaurants, very slow the result of a high minimum wage compared to the US and low tips and little training! I had to get up and grab a server to get a drink after we had been there 30 minutes. I noticed the other diners were similarly frustrated. Too bad because the food was excellent.