“an emperer for anight”

and 1 more site!
Mt Dandenong Imperial Retreat
Ranked #3 of 3 Kalorama B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2013

wow views are amazing great 300 year old bed huge spa for 2 was wonderful after anight out at local restraught double glazed doors & windows no noise from outside ,champain on arrival . We only booked at last min 4pm sat got in at 6.30 after room had been prepared .Clark and Anna our hosts were great .Rooms were very clean attention to detail was great.Wonderful night for my birthday will be going back again later in the year for my wifes birthday

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. Stayed with my wife for our 1 yr anniversary. We stayed in the emporer room and slept on a 300+yr old bed and enjoyed a massive spa in the bathroom.

The stay here is for the experiance of something different. The chinese breckfast out in the garden atrium was plesant, and looking at each of the antques and garden a bonus. The place is a real love affair from the owners.

Issues with parking, but nothing epic to ruin your stay.

Room Tip: Try and stay with a few friends in multiple rooms to really have funs with the costumes etc.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2013

This retreat was very authentic down to the last detail, on arrival we were taken on a tour of the stunning gardens which wind around the 3 rooms, and overlook on amazing views of Melbourne. There are sun rooms surrounded by cascading flowers and trees, in which you can have your breakfast of a morning and look out over Melbourne while you enjoy your traditional Chinese breakfast, or a traditional English breakfast. Your choice! The traditional Chinese breakfast was delicious and really made the entire stay feel very genuine as it was served on Qing Dynasty porcelain. The rooms including dining area are all styled in antique furnishings and decor, which definitely give you a taste of the Chinese culture as you are immersed in it throughout this retreat. With only 3 rooms it was very private and serene. As we were there on New Years Eve we were able to use the top deck to overlook Melbourne and see the fireworks happening at midnight. It was a very special experience for us and I would really like to point out that the owner Clarke went above and beyond to make us welcome and provide us with anything we needed. A very lovely man and I urge anyone who is considering staying here, to do it. I will definitely be back in the future! I cant wait to see it when it is 100% complete, because even at 90% it was immaculate!

Room Tip: Emperor's Room is the biggest of the 3 rooms. Very luxurious!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RJL86
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I have always wanted to stay in a hotel with Imperial decor and a true and genuine touch of Chinese culture and history. It came as a surprise when I found this little 3 rooms resort in the midst of Mount Dandanong. The resort took 8 years to build, and even though it is only 90% done at the time of my arrival (I was their second guest!), it is looking exactly (and maybe even better) than the Imperial Palace of China. The resort was built with such attention to details that all tiny pieces of decorations are from China and some of them are tailored made to suit the size of the rooms and furniture. It is like a home away from home. We spent the night there as our last day of honeymoon and we dressed up in imperial costumes (which were provided in our Emperor Room) for us to take photos of. It was truly a memorable and unique experience that we will bring into our marriage. Breakfast was provided and you have a choice of Chinese or English, we chose the Chinese breakfast which was served on exquisite Qing Dynasty porcelain and fine utensils. It was truly a dream come true for a Chinese historian like myself. I really enjoyed it. The view was simply spectacular - at night, you see the city of melbourne sparkling like stars and glow worms in front of your eyes and in the morning, you are surrounded by trees and fresh smell of flowers and calla lillies with the accompaniment and stream water sounds coming from the Chinese pavilion. I know I loved the experience and will surely come back with my children in years to come.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple