“worst accommodation ever! like a horror movie”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilmore
Kilmore Caravan Park
sydney
“worst accommodation ever! like a horror movie”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

First off, our Google maps was showing us the location of the park as being further down the road, so I had to call the park for directions. I received unhelpful directions that did not even match up with what was supposed to be the street numbers of the park and the street numbers on the street. Upon arrival, the man at the front desk made a comment about my map reading ability, which came across as quite sexist. It took the man and woman a while to find our booking. They were overall unfriendly and made impolite jokes about us being from Sydney. They gave us an option of two cabins in which we could check out and decide which was best. As we drove through the park, we noticed that it was pretty run down and being 3 young girls, we felt unsafe as we were stalked by the seedy stares of (what I would assume were) the male long term occupants or residents. The first cabin we inspected reeked of some kind of cleaning product and was very unpleasant - as if someone had died in there and they had just cleaned it out. The second cabin, which was then our only option, was almost as bad. It was filthy. The mattresses were mouldy, the bathroom was disgusting and the kitchen was not appropriate for cooking anything. Not only that, the windows on the cabin would not lock/were not secure, and could be opened from the outside. Already fearing for our safety in this stopover town in the middle of nowhere, we resorted to moving the mattresses into the "living" (literally) area so that we would be together and be safe!!! Upon returning the keys of the first cabin to reception, we were met with a seedy comment by the male man as to whether us girls were going to "party hard" there that night.
It felt like a horror movie where 3 girls stay in dodgy, run down accommodation and get murdered!
For only a few dollars more, on our way back trip, we stayed in a luxurious (by comparison) Caravan Park in Benalla, with friendly staff and immaculate cabins. This "kill"more place was definitely not worth the money and the sleepless night!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank BG123Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Well we had driven quite some way and had had enough, decided to stop overnight at Kilmore, the lady at the front desk was more than obliging as she had no powered sites left but did offer us an unpowered site. She suggested her partner would be able fix us up with power and he very obliging did. He went out of his way to help my husband set up ( he had injured his arm ) and absolutey nothing was a bother to him. He came around later that afternoon to check we were ok, that was a first for us, someone caring. We have been very impressed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank collnw
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Unlike many places I have stayed at and have happily recommended, this one does not come with my recommendation. If I wasn't with a friend, I would have left and not checked in. Read on!

Kilmore was not the town we were to spend our time in but had more accommodation options. We had rung well in advance to see if we could arrive around lunchtime and was advised that would be OK. So we deviated from where we had to go and drove 40km extra only to find that on entry to our cabin to unload our luggage, the cabin service was not finished with beds not made and old sheets still piled on the floor etc. There was no space to leave our bags and we asked how long it might be before the cabin was serviced. “Not sure, when they do it” was the uninterested response from the man at the desk.

I should also mention the lady at the desk was unable to find my booking (doesn’t that give you confidence). The man, engaged in an obviously private phone call just barked at her allowing the booking too eventually to be found. If you want to have private phone calls (we all do), please do so elsewhere and not in the reception area where your customers sense they are unimportant interruption to your private life.

I also asked if there was a Westpac bank or ATM in town but he didn’t know. By this time, I felt as if I was completely unappreciated by this business. I guess from here, it was a case of I wasn’t going to like this place and it was going to take a fair bit of effort on the part of the owners and the park to change my mind. Customer service is important to me and that had completely failed in the 1st fifteen minutes.

I had arranged a few people to stay at this park (probably 5 cabins and 2 caravan sites). So I was completely disappointed to be given an older cabin, despite being the 1st to book from our group. My friends all received newer cabins near each other. There was almost no room between the older cabins to squeeze a car (see photos) and no space to park in front. In fact the space was so tight, the passenger had to get out on the road as the passenger car door could not be opened once parked. The newer cabins up the back had much more space between them.

What I remember most though was the mud. See photos. None of the roads in the park were sealed (except around the the newer cabins!!) and, being a wet area, the car and the trailer picked up much mud and crap underneath. Worse still, it was muddy at the foot of the steps into our cabin so it was impossible to avoid walking mud and dirt into the cabin. I am not alone in this regard, even our caravan members found the mud at their sites disappointing – and they have travelled Australia!

One of our members took ill and had to head home early by train. The previously unhelpful man in the office actually offered to take him to the station later that morning and I thought maybe he was better than first impressions. However, when our member walked to the office, to get the promised lift it was closed! Luckily, another of our members was still at the park and gave him the lift he needed.

The cabin I was in was old and overdue for replacement. It reminded me of something that was acceptable 25 years ago. The bedrooms (we had a 2 bedroom cabin) were small, leaving no-where to put your case. The split air-conditioner was inadequate for the task in the cold climate of 2 degrees Celsius and spent much of its time de-icing (and not heating). Despite it being left on 22 degrees all night, the cabin was very cold next morning. Luckily we discovered a small fan heater hidden in one of the cupboards which made it better.

One of the light switches was missing which meant the fluorescent light above the table was inoperable. That corner was gloomy and too dark to relax on the sofa reading a book. This was mentioned after the 1st night but totally ignored for our 3 night stay.

I stayed 3 nights and was glad to move on. The owners of this park should read my review of the Crystal Brook Tourist Park to see how a caravan park should be run...

Room Tip: Insist on a newer cabin at the back - Nos 40+ At least you won't be living in the mud!