“Great place, great people”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maffra
Cambrai Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed over a month at the Cambraï Hostel, and really had a great time there. Ron & Marg are very friendly and helpful, they found me a job, gave me adive on places to visit and things to do, and always kept a very good atmosphere going in the hostel. The place is clean and cosy, the internet connexion works well, and the fact that they have a bar, a pool table and live music every once in a while makes the place pleasant and fun. If you're looking for some farmwork experience and a place to stay in Victoria, I definitely advice you to go there.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 93Nicolai

Reviewed 5 September 2013

When I thought about completing my regional work I was dreading it. What I experienced at Cambrai hostel Maffra was the opposite to what I expected. It turned out to be one of the most memorable fun experiences I have had since entering Australia.
The owners of the hostel were more than helpful at finding myself and my sister jobs. They were so good to us over the three months and really made us feel at home. The hostel rooms were cosy and comfortable, and all amenities we could want were included.
With a lovely bar, open fire, beer garden and all the other backpackers, it was hard to have a dull moment. We were genuinely sad when we left and enjoyed the experience so much(even with the early starts!) We made great friends that we will keep forever and hope to have a reunion in Maffra next year.
Anyone thinking of doing their regional work in this area, I could not recommend Cambrai hostel more highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I come from a rural background in Ireland and had to complete my 3 months regional work here recently. I didn't know where or how to look, I got in touch with Ron & Marg at the hostel who immediately arranged work from me. It was very hard to leave the hustle and bustle of Melbourne but within days after arriving in Maffra, I was made to feel right at home. This is certaintly no palace. But a place I will return to again and again. Marg and Ron run a tight ship, A friendly bar open to the public and with chilled out laid back atmosphere your always in your comfort zone be it at the bar or out having a drink in the sun. Always plenty of people in the same boat doing their regional work coming and going. It will me one of my best memories of Australia so far all down to the hostel and it's management

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank markirl2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I did my 3 months regional work in Maffra and stayed at Cambrai Hostel. It was the only working hostel I contacted that had a friendly and positive response. After a quick chat over the phone with the lovely Marg she had me sold.

I arrived to the hostel on a cold winters night and was greeted by a lovely blazing fire and a warm atmosphere, it felt like i was home! The Hostel was clean and comfortable, beds changed rooms cleaned every week. Bathrooms and kitchen very clean. The location is great, woolworths next door, fish and chip shop and pizza take away on the street too.

Ron and Marg were very helpful and made my stay very enjoyable. I've had alot of fun times during my stay. I made alot of good friends here who I've meet again along my travels and who I'm still in contact with. We all worked hard but we played harder!! Ron and Marg always have some sort of event planned for the weekend if you want to join in or Sale is a 10min taxi ride to the best Night club in gippsland!!haha.

This has definitely been one of my most enjoyable experiences so far and I would gladly go back in the morning. Thanks to R&M and everybody else who made my time here unforgettable

Laura and Jennie

************************************************** 10/10 overall! **************************************************

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lozipozi89
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I went to Cambrai Hostel cause I was looking for work and I ended up finding a bit home far away from home.
Everybody is very nice and caring and we had some great and funny evenings. Most of the people are long termers. So everybody is in the same boat and looking after each other. Made new friends there, not just travel mates.
I'll never forget our time. Special thanks to Marg, Ron and Doug.

Cheers
Christiane

Room Tip: I was in an eight bed dorm without a window but we left the door open. So it was okay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed in the cambrai for almost 5 months, where i made some amazing friends and so many great people all in the same boat as myself and my bf . We were both doing our regional work, staying in the backpackers made the experience a lot more bearable, especially with marg a being such good host and such a friendly nature. Will always remember you guys and all the feiends and laughs we made along the way :-) thanks guys.
Donna & Gav.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank DonnaDenton
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in the Cambrai backpackers for 5 months,we were both working on dairy farms for two lovely familys, we had such a ball in the hostel, probably the most fun we had since arriving in Oz, Marg and Ron were so nice, very easy going people, we met some great friends there that will be our friends for life.
The hostel is so cosy esp when the evenings started getting cold they would have the fire blazing when you would get home from work and you could relax by it with a nice cheap bottle of beer, it was always clean and tidy, we had a couples room which was a nice size with a comfy bed :)
I would totally recommend it to any backpackers thinking about going there to do their regional work, every1s in the same boat so you will have lots in common!
On our last night there Marg and Ron threw a little leaving party for us, we had an op shop glam night which was hilarious, Marg cooked lots of finger food and got a crazy lady to sing :) We had such a fun night, we miss that place already, and will never forget it!! :)
Deborah and Sean xx

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah C

Been to Cambrai Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!