“Nice friendly warm hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambrai Backpackers Hostel

Cambrai Backpackers Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maffra
Cambrai Backpackers Hostel
Dublin
“Nice friendly warm hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here for 1 night during a trip out to East Gippsland. The hostel contains a nice bar and lounge area to relax and there was a nice open fire burning. The two owners were very friendly and sociable. It seemed very sociable the evening I was there and I got chatting to lots of other backpackers who were staying there working on local farms.

The rooms were basic but the bed were reasonably comfortable. The only downside of the place is that the toilets and showers are not the cleanest.

Location is great on the main street in Mafra with an IGA across the road, Coles / Wollies (cant remember which) a few doors up the street and a few small cheap eat places on the streets.

I'd definitely stay again if visiting the area. It's so beautiful out that way and not a lot of tourists / backpackers venture out there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 months at Cambrai to do our regional work. The owners Marg and Ron helped us find work and made us feel right at home. They are the friendliest and most welcoming hostel iv ever stayed and was very sad to leave . I would recommend this place in a heart beat .

• Stayed September 2013
Jeju, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

i had done my farm work<from nov 2012> in maffra through cambrai. at first time i was too shy to get close with people maybe cause there were lots of european friends and i never faced that situation before so i felt akward myself. but ron and marge helped me and finally i was so enjoyed all time with all friends. i could learn all diffrent culture and improve my english with them. met real friend not for the moment but for my life. it was my best choice in Aus. and i really miss all moments in maffra. party in the park, beautiful bluepool, bbq party in the garden . and i miss dugh!!

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank lucyhan
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed over a month at the Cambraï Hostel, and really had a great time there. Ron & Marg are very friendly and helpful, they found me a job, gave me adive on places to visit and things to do, and always kept a very good atmosphere going in the hostel. The place is clean and cosy, the internet connexion works well, and the fact that they have a bar, a pool table and live music every once in a while makes the place pleasant and fun. If you're looking for some farmwork experience and a place to stay in Victoria, I definitely advice you to go there.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 93Nicolai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

When I thought about completing my regional work I was dreading it. What I experienced at Cambrai hostel Maffra was the opposite to what I expected. It turned out to be one of the most memorable fun experiences I have had since entering Australia.
The owners of the hostel were more than helpful at finding myself and my sister jobs. They were so good to us over the three months and really made us feel at home. The hostel rooms were cosy and comfortable, and all amenities we could want were included.
With a lovely bar, open fire, beer garden and all the other backpackers, it was hard to have a dull moment. We were genuinely sad when we left and enjoyed the experience so much(even with the early starts!) We made great friends that we will keep forever and hope to have a reunion in Maffra next year.
Anyone thinking of doing their regional work in this area, I could not recommend Cambrai hostel more highly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lauren M
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I come from a rural background in Ireland and had to complete my 3 months regional work here recently. I didn't know where or how to look, I got in touch with Ron & Marg at the hostel who immediately arranged work from me. It was very hard to leave the hustle and bustle of Melbourne but within days after arriving in Maffra, I was made to feel right at home. This is certaintly no palace. But a place I will return to again and again. Marg and Ron run a tight ship, A friendly bar open to the public and with chilled out laid back atmosphere your always in your comfort zone be it at the bar or out having a drink in the sun. Always plenty of people in the same boat doing their regional work coming and going. It will me one of my best memories of Australia so far all down to the hostel and it's management

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank markirl2013
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I did my 3 months regional work in Maffra and stayed at Cambrai Hostel. It was the only working hostel I contacted that had a friendly and positive response. After a quick chat over the phone with the lovely Marg she had me sold.

I arrived to the hostel on a cold winters night and was greeted by a lovely blazing fire and a warm atmosphere, it felt like i was home! The Hostel was clean and comfortable, beds changed rooms cleaned every week. Bathrooms and kitchen very clean. The location is great, woolworths next door, fish and chip shop and pizza take away on the street too.

Ron and Marg were very helpful and made my stay very enjoyable. I've had alot of fun times during my stay. I made alot of good friends here who I've meet again along my travels and who I'm still in contact with. We all worked hard but we played harder!! Ron and Marg always have some sort of event planned for the weekend if you want to join in or Sale is a 10min taxi ride to the best Night club in gippsland!!haha.

This has definitely been one of my most enjoyable experiences so far and I would gladly go back in the morning. Thanks to R&M and everybody else who made my time here unforgettable

Laura and Jennie

************************************************** 10/10 overall! **************************************************

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lozipozi89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maffra
Quest Sale Serviced Apartments
#1 of 1 in Stratford
No photo provided
Maffra Lodge
#2 of 2 in Maffra

Been to Cambrai Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!