“If you choose to stay here do not stay in the tower room”
Review of Highton Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mansfield
Highton Manor
Ranked #9 of 9 Mansfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

It was a long weekend and I have to start off that they were accommodating to give us a room at short notice. When I rang he said that he had the penthouse available and that was usually 380 he would do for 250 a night. I quickly said yes as I though what a bargain and the accomodation at that price must be amazing. What a absolute disappointment the room was indeed on top of the building but it was a hidey hole. The room fitted a bed and that was it. Which then lead to the sitting room which were two chairs in a windowless walkway. To sit in this so called room you just sat on top of each other as there was no room to move. The spa was acceptable and big. The establishment has central cooling and it was so hot. The owner told us he decided that not to put it own in our room. We put it on but unfortunately the room was stuffy for the remaining of the weekend. As it was on the top of the building there was no access to go outside and get air unless you wanted to keep walking up and down all the stairs. Which was a pity because with such a small room there was no where to relax except on top of each other. I was really angry at the price I had paid for this room. I'm not sure how anyone would ever pay 380. Owner informed us since we did not pay the whole amount we were not entitled to breakfast. At this stage I was not impressed and told him I would like my money back and did not wish to stay here. He told me to calm down that it wasn't like he was in need of money and would give us breakfast. He then went on to tell me that since he even though he was a bread and breakfast he did not need to supply breakfast. I told him this was fun but the presumption was made that I was staying at a bed and breakfast. Hence I would be eating breakfast. He did not give us out money back do we stayed there. The milk was 3 months out of date so no coffee for us. We did check out rooms on the lower floor which were lovely big and roomy and a lot cheaper. We chose to not have breakfast there we also chose to spend as little time possible there as the room was smaller then a cell bloke. Which I was dissappinted about as for that price I thought we would have spent the weekend lounging around our room. On the last day I had breakfast just so I could review it. It was lovely presented and a wide selection and was indeed yummy. For such a pricey room some personal touches would have been nice. But there is nothing but basics and even they like milk or a jug for water were not available

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank SuperxSmiley17

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed in stables motel. Rooms very basic and dark. Dirty cups and dishes left in small kitchenette which made making a cup of coffee undesirable. Sheets and towels were clean, but rooms could definitely be renovated. Friends stayed in the house, but were given a double bed for their two adult sons when they had booked two single beds. No discount offered to any of us for the inconveniences.

Room Tip: Check all dishes clean and if you need to put on make up for an event, you can barely see anything i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We held a special dinner here for close family and friends and stayed in the beautiful upstairs rooms and the stables motel rooms. It was all perfect. Joe, the host, epitomises welcoming enthusiasm and helpfulness. He and his wife think carefully about the menu for their excellent meals and they have a great wine cellar, including their own home made wines ( so good that the groom ended up sleeping on the couch!!!)
The bedrooms are all different , with distinctive characteristics and lovely views - some of Mt Buller in the distance. The younger guests were pretty happy out the back in the motel rooms. The grounds are very pretty. You could walk into Mansfield, but it's easier to drive. There are cheaper places to stay in Mansfield, but Highton Manor is more historical - well, in Aussie terms, anyway - 19 th century. The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, and her partner, Tim Matheson, have eaten here - there's a photo somewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rarisang
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We discovered Highton Manor a couple of months ago and are back for our second visit. Beautiful old house and lovely gardens you can spend all day relaxing in. We stayed in the motel rooms in the converted stable and they were basic but clean and comfortable. Dinner in the dining room is a must! 4 courses of delicious Italian food for $48! We are vegetarian and they made up special courses for us. The hosts are lovely and welcoming. Definitely coming back.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Nriv1
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We decided to visit Mansfield and the high country on a whim one afternoon and before we knew it we were jetting off to explore the beautiful area. We arrived at Mansfield in the middle of a tropical thunderstorm and needed a place to stay. We had read about Highton Manor in our Lonely Planet and after arriving and meeting our host we were set on staying.

We decided to stay in the stables which is more like a motel rather than the grand rooms inside as we were just really looking for a bed more than anything. Our host was very friendly and lovely and we instantly felt at home. The highlight of the stay was the amazing breakfast the next morning. We had the full works, eggs, toast, lovely fresh spinach from the garden, beautiful home made preserves and all of the tea we could muster.

Highton Manor is a lovely place with lovely people, definitely stop by if you are in Mansfield!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple