“A disappointment”

The Buffalo Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Myrtleford
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Australian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Simply the best meal we had on our whole trip, fresh as can be, please add this quality establishment!
Geelong
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Went to The Buffalo recently just looking for a nice country pub meal. The decor of the pub was ok and it was quiet clean & neat.
After finding ourselves a seat (no staff registered our desire to dine) we made our selection from the menu and I went up to the kitchen window to order. I chose a veal schnitzel with gravy and my girlfriend chose a chicken/avocado dish. We were informed they were out of avocado so she went without it.
We then chose a wine from the wine list and had to go to the bar to order it. We found that the wine we selected was not in stock. It turned out that they were out of most of their wines on their menu so we were very limited in our choice.
Our meals then arrived. My girlfriend was satisfied with hers but my schnitzel was overcooked (partially burnt) and had barely any gravy. I don't like to return meals so I decided to scrape off the burnt crumbing but ordered some more gravy.
I was then about three quarters through my meal when I bit on something very hard and had to spit out my mouthful to see if I had broken my tooth (turned out I hadn’t). I found a stone material somewhat like heat beads that you'd find in a barbeque.
I told a waiter about the foreign object in my meal and she took the balance of my meal into the kitchen to inform the chef/cook.
She returned saying that someone in the kitchen had "eaten" the object and it was just scrapings off the grill.
She offered no apology or any compensation even considering she taken the balance of my meal (not that I felt like eating anymore of it).
On exiting, I asked to speak to the manager and she was quite rude about the whole issue and only gave a sarcastic version of an apology.
I felt the whole scenario bizarre the way they dealt with it. Nice of them to go to the extreme measure of eating what their customers spit out to check their product.
Lucky for them that you are required to pay for your meal upfront as there is no way I'd pay for the rubbish I was served up.
It was disappointing that a place in the middle of such a beautiful area, that has great wineries and produce, that they did not stock more variety of this great local produce.
The management and the attitude of their staff is definitely lacking.
I would definitely not return to this venue.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank ChoiceDude

Melbourne
“Good food for the price”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Had a meal on a Sunday, with the special of 2 parmas for $25. The parmas were good......the restaurant was nice inside, better than what I had expected when we saw the pub from the outside.

The only problem was that our order was misplaced and we had to wait for an hour for our meals. They did apologize profusely and offer us a free garlic bread........which was nice of them. Overall, if you are looking for a value for money meal.......you can't go too wrong

• Visited July 2012
Myrtleford, Australia
“Great meals”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We have had many great meals at The Buffalo Hotel in Myrtleford with great friendly service and staff that really do their job well. There is a lovely open fire on those cold winter nights, outdoor eating area for the balmy summer nights and is in the main shopping strip in Myrtleford. Easy 2 minute walk from the Myrtleford Holiday Park, Rail Trail and shops.

• Visited June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome food and great place”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I would highly reconmmend this place for dinner to anyone. The service was great and the meals to the table were very quick. The night we were there was a parmi night(2 for $25) it was full of people and boy i must admit it was the best parmi i have ever had (cessar pami) there is also 5-6 other different flavours of parmis to choose from (from memory).....we also ordered 2 kids meals and a bruchetta as an entree and that was fantastic as well....

Our compliments to the chef and staff..everyone was friendly with a warm atmosphere.

So do yourself a favour if your in the area call in for the best feed in town by far...

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Darren A
“Loved meal”
Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed a well cooked meal in front of roaring fire menu was limited there was no options for vegetarians also $1 charged for each eftpos transaction so if you paid for your main then decided to have dessert and coffee you would pay extra $2 you had to pay cash at bar for your wine instead of incorporating in your meal tab so improvements could be made in that area but food and Ambiance was very nice

1 Thank Barbara B