“Very good food”

The Buffalo Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Restaurants in Myrtleford
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Simply the best meal we had on our whole trip, fresh as can be, please add this quality establishment!
Sydney, Australia
“Very good food”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed the night in Myrtleford and had dinner at this great little pub. Was really surprised with the good quality food and service. I had the gnocchi and it was very good and my wife had the Lamb shanks. The meals were big enough for two.

• Visited November 2013

Melbourne
“greatpubgrub”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Went here recently with a group. Comforting "few surprises" menu which was just what we needed - solid pub food done well. Everyone enjoyed their meal, food arrived quickly, staff were friendly and value was good. Would happily go back there.

• Visited October 2013
Canberra
“Fantastic Pub Meal”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Went to find a cheap, nice pub meal and got far more than expected. Steak was cooked to perfection with a pepper sauce that would be hard to beat. Risotto was phenomenal, and I found I was pushing the bounds of my stomach capacity because I just wanted to keep eating. Excellent meal, and a cosy atmosphere near the open fireplace. Can't wait to visit Myrtleford again for another great meal!

• Visited May 2013
Beechworth, Australia
“WHAT A PARMA”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I had read about this hotel in local publications and was interested to see if it was as good as it was cracked up to be! That veal parma would be very hard to beat especially with your different topping. The size was so generous I was surprised I could eat it all, and enjoyed every mouthful. I now regularly recommend your venue to my travelling guests.

Visited November 2012
Geelong
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Went to The Buffalo recently just looking for a nice country pub meal. The decor of the pub was ok and it was quiet clean & neat.
After finding ourselves a seat (no staff registered our desire to dine) we made our selection from the menu and I went up to the kitchen window to order. I chose a veal schnitzel with gravy and my girlfriend chose a chicken/avocado dish. We were informed they were out of avocado so she went without it.
We then chose a wine from the wine list and had to go to the bar to order it. We found that the wine we selected was not in stock. It turned out that they were out of most of their wines on their menu so we were very limited in our choice.
Our meals then arrived. My girlfriend was satisfied with hers but my schnitzel was overcooked (partially burnt) and had barely any gravy. I don't like to return meals so I decided to scrape off the burnt crumbing but ordered some more gravy.
I was then about three quarters through my meal when I bit on something very hard and had to spit out my mouthful to see if I had broken my tooth (turned out I hadn’t). I found a stone material somewhat like heat beads that you'd find in a barbeque.
I told a waiter about the foreign object in my meal and she took the balance of my meal into the kitchen to inform the chef/cook.
She returned saying that someone in the kitchen had "eaten" the object and it was just scrapings off the grill.
She offered no apology or any compensation even considering she taken the balance of my meal (not that I felt like eating anymore of it).
On exiting, I asked to speak to the manager and she was quite rude about the whole issue and only gave a sarcastic version of an apology.
I felt the whole scenario bizarre the way they dealt with it. Nice of them to go to the extreme measure of eating what their customers spit out to check their product.
Lucky for them that you are required to pay for your meal upfront as there is no way I'd pay for the rubbish I was served up.
It was disappointing that a place in the middle of such a beautiful area, that has great wineries and produce, that they did not stock more variety of this great local produce.
The management and the attitude of their staff is definitely lacking.
I would definitely not return to this venue.

• Visited October 2012