“Portsea Hotel, Awesome!”
Review of Portsea Hotel

Portsea Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Portsea B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I recently stayed at the Portsea Hotel and truly had an enjoyable time. Our room was basic but clean and comfortable. We ate at the Hotel for Lunch and Dinner. The food was great (I highly recommend the Seafood Linguine, it's to die for, I ordered this dish 2 x nights in a row!) The views over the ocean from the Balcony were a highlight for Lunch. I would highly recommend the Portsea Hotel and will be staying there again soon! A huge thank you to all staff who were friendly and approachable.

Room Tip: Choose a room with en-suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed Sept 28 - 30, 2011.
Had already booked our stay before reading the reviews, I'm so glad I did not read the reviews before booking, or I might have gone elsewhere. We had a great two night stay mid week, the food was amazing and the staff were excellent. Venue was top notch with excellent views and the warmth of the fireplaces in the bar and restaurant kept us cozy when the spectacular storms rolled through at night.
No complaints here, very happy. Put your holiday $$$ back into our economy and think about the Portsea Hotel. I will.

Room Tip: There are rooms with communal toilets (hostel style). If you dont want this, book otherwise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Taking on board everyone's comments, we also purchased an online deal through scoopon that entitled us to a 2 night stay for $150.00. What I did not know at the time of purchasing the deal was that it was communal toilets. At the time of my booking I had asked them how much it was to upgrade to an en suite room and they gave me and absurd amount and I decided against it. Good thing a month before the reservation I decided to read the reviews again and as soon as someone mention it only cost them $100 to upgrade, I was on the phone giving my cc number. Clearly, they must have gotten a lot of request and finally came to an agreement.

We decided to stay mid week on the 10-12th August, knowing that hardly anyone would be around therefore minimal noise. We were right. There was only a few regulars and we manage to have onsite parking, hardly any noise travelling through the walls anytime of the day.

It is what it is, it's a pub hotel so we didn't expect 5 star quality. I was overly surprise. As soon as you walk through the entrance, you feel this warm country feel. Opposite to the reception desk there was an open fire place and as soon as you walk past it, you can smell the wood burning. We stayed in room 33. We had our own outside balcony. Not much of a view as it was ontop of the kitchen's roof so you can smell their exhaust fan, but at nights if you look to your left you can see the pier, beach and tables. It was nice. Because it was ontop of the kitchen and there was another function room on the otherside, it blocked out alot of wind, so good for the smokers. The room was spacious which I was surprised. The bedroom and living area had a small wall heater. The bed had electric blankets which I thought was a nice touch. The bathroom was clean and it was a modern double shower with an old fashion shower head. Nice to feel the pressure of the water. They offered a small fridge and tea/coffee facilities. Be mindful when adjusting the volume of the TV. Walls are thin so you can hear the noise in the other room.

They offered the basic continental breakfast, but they also offered us complimentary hot breakfast which was just toast, bacon, eggs and tomato, which was a nice touch considering the continental was a bit boring. I think the food in the pub is over priced. The cost of a meal is the same price you would pay in a fine dining restaurant. I ordered the seafood pasta for $33.00 and my partner ordered an Indian dish for $17. Both dishes were very ordinary. Everything on the menu was overpriced. If you are on a budget, I suggest to bring some soup/noodles and a mug so you can cheaply feed your appetite at all hours. If staying on a weekday, go have dinner at 6-7.30. We drove into town at 8pm on a Wednesday and everything was closed. Good thing I packed some noodles in my bag. :)

We were after a relaxing weekend and that is what we got. There isn't much around locally, but if you drive 5-20 mins to town/Red Hill, there is a few things you can do for the day. We went to the fudge store to sample and purchase some fudge in Rhy, be mindful that the store closes at 2pm. There is a brewery where you can have lunch and sample some beer in Red Hill. The pier is only a 2 minute walk from the pub if you wanted to fish.

Some suggestion for the hotel:
- You should offer some board games to be rented and therefore can drum up some more $$ while people are playing board games at the tables, they will most likely purchase some drinks and food.
- The linen on the bed is very outdated. If you change them to a plain neutral color, it would make a world of a difference to the ambiance of the room. Even leaving 2 chocolate bits on the pillow cases or towels would help. Small non costly things will leave a good impression on the hotel since there is not much else to offer.
- Offer some finger food other than bowls of chips. Everyone loves to have a drink with some nibbles
- Offer a computer with free internet with a time limit so people can research places they would like to visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade to en suite if using vouchers.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tiffany_Melb
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed two nights (Sun-Tue) in winter using a voucher which entitled us to a standard room. We paid the extra $100 for the two nights and were upgraded to a beautiful bay view suite, and we are glad we did. The accommodation itself was nice, with a very old country house feel. The suite was clean and reasonably well appointed with its own balcony/courtyard. the staff were great and the food was terrific. The only downside was the noise. The walls were quite thin and we could hear our neighbours conversations and TV quite clearly and the cleaners decided to vacuum the corridors at 6am. So we didn't get much of a chance to sleep-in. As a result I'm glad we did not stay there during peak time or on a Friday or Saturday night, as I don't think we would have got any sleep. Overall, it's a place I would visit again, but in off-peak only.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra to be upgraded to a bayview room or suite.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I read a lot of bad reviews for this hotel and for my husband and I, we feel they may have been a little unjust....This hotel is almost 150 years old, so if it's modern creature comforts you desire, then this place, probably will not "fit your bill"...If you enjoy peace and quiet, relaxing by a warm and cosy fireplace, daily newspapers to read, one of the best "Continental Breakfasts" we've ever eaten (which is included in your room tariff) and friendly staff that are only to happy to help or assist you, then this place ticks all the boxes. Yes, OK... it' may not be modern, but it's clean, warm and inviting and we enjoyed our time here. I don't doubt during summer months, it may be quite different... but for us, we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Oh... and BTW, upon arriving we were given a $50.00 voucher, to spend as we liked, sometime during our stay, we chose to put it towards one of our dinners.... This was quite unexpected and most welcomed....Thanks Portsea Hotel, we will be back........

Room Tip: Pay the additional money, to have your own ensuite, we did and it was worth it....
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I love staying at the Portsea Hotel. It's owners have managed to retain it's original welcoming atmosphere but have added an edge of modern style and comfort that makes it a great place for locals, travellers and business people alike. They have several dining options, from a casual cafe to a formal function room and the only thing better than the food is the spectacular sea view which just takes your breath away. The accommodation is being updated so some rooms are more modern than others so you can choose what suits you best. I'll be going back as soon as I can!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Our stay at this hotel was soured not by the lack of sea view, nor wintry conditions outside, but by the antiquated facilities in the guest room we were allocated. In fairness to the hotel, they did say that this room would have 'shared facilities'. My wife only had 10 metres to go to the Ladies showers and Toilets, whereas the walk to the Mens facilities was 40 metres each way. Best not to have a drink in any of the hotel bars before bed!
I had expected perhaps a basin in the rooms, but no. There was a small stand alone refrigerator, un-stocked, that activated itself every 20 minutes through the night, but after turning that off we had bigger noise problems with something outside our bedroom that sounded like a tumble drier with a pair of shoes in it - all night long.
The wooden corridor floorboards could be heard too, but polite fellow guests kept disturbance to a minimum.
A kettle and tea/coffee was provided, and only an 80 metre round trip to fill it (remembering to take a cup because the kettle wouldn't fit under the tap).
A morning shower was refreshing, it almost roused me from my sleep-deprived trance, but I was foiled at the sink again, unable to run a bowl of water for a shave since the basins must have been installed before plugs were invented.
We handed the keys in after an average continental breakfast (sliced fruit had seen better days), and advised that we wouldn't be staying for the second night that we'd booked.
Be warned. We will not be returning.
Only plus was courteous staff, perhaps used to deflated guests.

Room Tip: do not accept a room that faces the inner hotel roof, nor one with shared facilities
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsea
Hotel Sorrento
Mercure Portsea Golf Club and Resort
Portsea Village Resort
Portsea Village Resort
#1 of 1 in Portsea

Been to Portsea Hotel? Share your experiences!