“Lovely views”
Review of Somerset View

Somerset View
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hill
Somerset View
Ranked #5 of 6 Red Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Some girlfriends and I recently stayed at 'The House' at Somerset View. I booked the property through Stayz and the whole process was fairly easy. I was accidently overcharged but was quickly refunded when I brought this to the owners attention. I had to email the owner a week before we had booked as no information on check in/check out times had been provided.
On the morning we were due to arrive I was notified that the spa wasn't working (no fault of the owners) so was refunded the $50 extra payed for use. On the first night we were all sitting in the lounge when we see a man on the deck near the spa. We all got a fright! Turns out it was the owner of the property coming to check the spa. I understand they own the property but we would have appreciated a knock on the front door letting us know he was going around the back rather than just walking in! This happened again the next day! The actual house was lovely with beautiful views of the paddocks. Every room was very clean and well presented. The kitchen was well equipped (a few extra tea towels would have been handy). We weren't given any info about what to do on check out so this was a bit confusing and we just left by 11am. The owners house is connected to the property which im sure is great if you need something but we all found that it was a little bit hard to relax and we were very conscious of noise although we are not a particularly loud group to begin with. Overall the house is lovely but we won't be returning as the way the property is designed with the owners house joining made it a bit hard to relax.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chelsea C
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Tthanks for your feedback. It is much valued and allows us to constantly improve our property. As we have just recently introduced midweek specials and yours was one of the first bookings to apply the discount, there was a slight error in calculation which was promptly refunded. Our check in and out times are on our website. It was unfortunate that the spa was not working. It had stopped working the night before and we made every effort to get it going. I refunded you the money for the use of the spa even though my husband did get it going for you so you could enjoy it during your stay. He did knock on the front door to let you know he was going to be working on it but no one answered. Sorry that you got a fright as he was working outside to try and get the spa going for you. I always let people know that if they require anything extra all they have to do is ring me. I am always happy to oblige to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The property was possibly not suited to your booking as you were wanting a place where extra guests could come onto the propert to have a celebration. We are accomodation only for guests that have paid and I was only made aware that you were having extra people over for a dinner party on the day of your arrival. Normally we don't allow extra people onto the property as per our terms and conditions on our website unless this is agreed upon prior to booking. We do have other guests staying at Somersetview and would not wish to compromise the stay of anyone.
The fact that the Grand and the house are interconnected has never been a problem in the past, even when we have had a large group stay. It is clear on the website that it is connected by an adjoining wall. It is very private and sound proof. The beauty of the buildings is that they can be opened up to cater for larger groups for the ultimate in indulgence, comfort, relaxation. This set up is perfectly designed for small celebrations such as birthdays, wedding parties, dinner parties etc.

There are newer reviews for Somerset View

Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed in the barn for a 2 night stay.
We found it to be a large, private space, family-friendly environment (pool table though the hockey table wasn't working, games, books, kids dvds and soft toys for the kids) but it lacked a descent working kitchen and with a family staying a kitchen is essential. There was no oven/cooktop but something that resembled a camping cooktop you plugged in, when we attempted to use it, it blew up, we then fired up the BBQ and the gas bottle was emptied, no probs as the owner replaced it pretty quickly. There's also no bench space in the kitchen making it difficult to prepare meals. There was also a power strike (which we'd been warned about) and a generator was plugged in promptly.
A hamper (for one day) was already in the fridge when we arrived and consisted of milk, juice, butter, jams, mushrooms, eggs, white bread and small pkt of bacon.
As for cleanliness the place was dusty and there were spiders and dead insects in most rooms. For $340 a night we were expecting just a little more.
Apart from this it's lovely and quiet, friendly owners and it's easy to get around.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jo_Melbourne_13
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Thankyou for staying at The Barn at Somersetview. It is always extremely helpful to us to get feedback. The issues you have brought up in your review have all been addressed. We live on the property and are very quick to respond to the needs of our guests, wether it be extra food in the breakfast hamper, as we all have different dietary needs, and other things like empty gas bottles. I was unaware you required extra bacon and would have been more than happy to provide more as with all the other items in the breakfast hamper. Unfortunately the air hockey machine had been damaged, which I was unaware of, and the pucks ended up within the machine. They have since been replaced. The hot plate was in working order and if it did malfunction I need to be notified straight away so I have time to replace it for you. It clealy states on our website that the barn has a kitchenette and not a full kitchen. If the kitchen was an issue, we could have upgraded you to Somerset House, which has a fully equiped kitchen. The gas bottle was replaced as I was notified that the bottle was empty but on a closer look the original gas bottle was almost full. If doors are left open and the fact that we are surrounded by national park, we do get the occasional bug, even though every effort is made to remove bugs and keep the building dust free. If extra cleaning was a concern, I would have been happy to provide extra cleaning. We always try to make our guests stay as enjoyable as possible as the comment you left in our guest book suggests - great family friendly, private getaway! Kids loved it too.
Ta

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at The Barn at Somerset View over a weekend in order to attend a wedding at a nearby winery. From the time that we walked in, we immediately felt relaxed. The location is peaceful and not crowded with other people at close proximity. The property is well maintained and was comfortable for our family of four. As an unexpected bonus, my kids enjoyed feeding the horse and chickens located on the property. Compared to where others attending the wedding were staying, this accommodation was a lot nicer. The nespresso machine was a nice touch. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank LolGav
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

thank you for your response. It was a real pleasure to have your family stay with us and enjoy the peaceful surrounds. Thank you again.
Somersetview

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Be prepared for a lengthy booking process involving numerous people. I found both the system and the managing agent very tedious. We also paid $550 a night with $1000 cash deposit. Be aware that the charge for the spa was $100 (even though the website had it advertised it for $50).
Owner is literally right next-door and can be on your doorstep in seconds – good or bad depending on your needs. I wasn’t overly impressed by her demeanor.
The actual property was quite pleasant, however some of the décor was quite contrived and out dated. I would agree that the photos are much better than the actual experience. The property was neat but not clean; I expect higher standards when I’m paying $650 a night.
The selling point of this property is the ‘experience’. It’s a shame that the experience is mediocre at best.
In my opinion there are much more beautiful places to stay in Red Hill that are better value.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 147travel_bug
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

WRONG CHOICE
Thank you for your response. I have taken your comments on board. I do however have to comment on our experience as accomodation owners with your booking. Our property has multiple rental options and so we often have multiple guests staying. Our main endeavor is to have our guests come here to get away from it all in a relaxing, peaceful and tranquil environment. We do not allow large gatherings and execessive noise as this would compromise the stay of others. Only booked guests are allowed on the property unless otherwise organized with the owners. Yes we do live on the property and in 5 years it has never come up as an issue. Our visitors books are highly complimentary and often mention the peaceful and relaxing nature of the property. Living on the property means we can quickly meet the needs of our guests. You mentioned the booking process as being tedious. As this was booked through an agent this had nothing to do with us. We have our own website and a booking can be confirmed with one phone call. I believe your issues were more with the agent than us as we had minimal involvement with you. The only dealings I had with you is informing you of checkout time which was obviously not made clear by the agent. As I had another booking coming in it was vital to begin cleaning before lunch. Had we not had a booking it was not a problem to extend your check out time. Our main cause for concern was your return from the wedding after 11pm . The excessive noise from the spa and your party was certainly compromising the comfort of the other guests. We held off coming to see you even though the noise went past 3am. I was also disappointed to find my house left in a bit of a state, with someone obviously unwell in the bathroom and champagne corks down the corridors, spa cover left off and left littered with bottles and glasses. I believe our property was the wrong choice for your type of gathering and this should have been established by the booking agent. As stated before, our property is all about peace, relaxation and getting away from it all.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We were a family party of six and used The Barn and the House. The hostess was most helpful and accommodated our particular needs most obligingly. The location is beautiful and very peaceful and as the beds were excellent, we all slept very well.
All the bathrooms are very new and absolutely spotless.
The Barn is charming, light and airy, with plenty of living space and enjoys wonderful views over farmland to the Bay.
The house is superb! It is very large, meticulouly renovated, beautifully appointed, and has glorious views.

Room Tip: remember that The Barn is open plan and that there are quite a lot of stairs!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The property was stunning. The accommodation was clean, comfortable and homely. The breakfast hamper was fantastic... More than we required! Great place to stay for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed at somerset view and found our hosts very welcoming and friendly - the house is situated in a beautiful location and decorated very tastefully. However, it was not clean. A lot of dust underneath all beds, toilet not clean, laundry area surfaces not clean. Ensuite door does not close, toilet seat broken - not acceptable in a house of this standard.

Breakfast was very good with one exception - Aldi coffee beans which are not good - personal taste maybe but with an average price of $350 a night, good quality coffee should be provided.

We would return to Somerset View and would recommend but cleanliness and maintenance are things that should be checked thoroughly on each new arrival.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2011

Hi, thankyou for your comments on tripadvisor. kAs the property is only a few months old there will be some fine tuning issues. The toilet has just been installed and it was just a matter of tightening it. The issues with cleaning have been addressed with the cleaning lady. We have now devised an extensive checklist which will be used everytime a clean is done. The doors have also been adressed i do apologize for the Aldi coffee. Both my husband and I use it and didnt think it would be that bad to have in the accomodation. We are more than happy to provide alternative coffee if we had known you were not happy. We do try and accomodate all individual requests but you do need to be able to communicate these to us, we do only live around the corner and are available 24 hours a day by mobile. If people indicate they have specific dietry needs we are only happy to accomodate. We also provide extras, at no extra cost for special occasions. Once again you need to let us know of these. I believe communication is a very important part of the hospitality industry and as a result have devised a feedback sheet guests can fill out so that our property keeps improving. We appreciate hearing about any issues during your stay as they can be quickly rectified rather than hearing about them 2 months later on trip advisor. We would like to offer you a 10% discount on your next visit.
Once again thankyou for your feed back.
Somersetview.

Peppers Moonah Links Resort
Hideaways at Red Hill
Hideaways at Red Hill
#5 of 5 in Red Hill

Been to Somerset View? Share your experiences!