“Roach in the tub. Smells like old wet death.”

Mountain Empire Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mountain City
Mountain city
“Roach in the tub. Smells like old wet death.”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I came in the room, the smell was so bad that I had the door open hoping it would air out. No luck. I went into the bathroom an what do I see? A roach. Then another on the trash can. I tell them. What did they do? Put me in another room. I don't smoke so where did they put me in a room that smells like yeah a person who jus finished. Need I say the table legs are broke. I would not recommend this for my worst enemy.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank 1Time_only

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This place made the Bates Hotel look like the Waldorf-Astoria bridal sweet! The room smelled there was two portable heaters in the room the toilet had a bucket on the floor to catch water from the lovely leaking toilet. The light above sink was a florescent bulb no cover the floor was dirty the picture on the wall had so much dirt and grime it wouldn’t just wipe off you had to scratch it off. The wall in the bathroom was not even done it had spackle all over it there was dead bugs on the floor there was holes in the bedding from cigarette burns but it’s a nonsmoking hotel. The sheets were two top sheets there was a hole in the wall along with dirt everywhere black all over our pillow cases. (Sorry about this) We could hear people having sex and it sounded like it was in our room the walls are so thin my husband sneezed and someone in another room said bless you lol. Oh yes and breakfast when and where not once was that ever mentioned to us and also it says free local calls and free Wi-Fi the room had no phone and the Wi-Fi they claim they don’t know the password. So we were stuck in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception and no Wi-Fi. Thanks to Hardees up the street they turned their Wi-Fi on for us. IT was so bad my husband and I slept fully clothed we were only there for one night thankfully to go to the NASCAR race in the morning you know it’s bad when people actually slept in their vehicles so they did not have to sleep in their rooms. One man slept on the walk way on the second floor he claimed he saw a rat.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer G

Travellers are raving about these Mountain City hotels

Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This was not the best hotel.. I have stayed at many hotels and this one was the worst ever!!.. At first when i checked in the man was acting kinda strange and just a little flirty.. First off, I don't want the hotel clerk flirting with me bc. i am staying in the hotel and you have access to the key at any time.. Kinda strange.. The worst part of the stay.. The Clerk gave two male guest the same room as i was staying in.. Yes may of been an accident but never should of happened the two males had the same key as i did till it was corrected.... Yes accident's occur but still never should of happened.. They need to really get organized in this place.. I understand that this is a run down hotel but a lot of updates need to be done in this place.. I would not suggest anyone to stay here after what had happened to me.. When i advised the clerk of this situation he felt bad but than offered me a king size bed and a free pack of traveler's toothpaste (how sweet of him.. lol) he did not seem like he really understood what had happened.. I do understand things happen, but again it shouldnt have happened if this hotel was organized and the clerk was better understanding than i wouldnt be writing this.. But this hotel sucks that's all Im saying about this place.. The other thing that was very strange is for him telling me to keep this incident quiet.. Ummm excuse me i will not keep this quiet because it needed to be addressed.. He informed me to keep this quiet and for me to not tell anyone about this bc. people talk.. Im sorry but i am female and i am going to state what happened bc. of the incident.. He did not need to tell me to keep quiet bc. i will tell that whole town of the incident.. Best regards to this man and his hotel....

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Amanda G
Arthur, ON
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Our room is freezing and there is no thermostat; the toilet barely flushes and the internet is extremely slow. There are pine needles in the nightstand, as well as old receipts. There is also dirt, dust and pubic hair all over the bathroom door. The stairs outside of our room are out of order and the creatures outside are extremely audible through the thin window. The only thing that this place has going for it is the nice girl at the desk.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tessa M
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Me and my friends stayed at Mountain empire motel..we booked 3 rooms. all rooms were in excellent condition and we recieved great service. the staff were very friendly. also the hotel provided hot coffee which was great because it was cold outside. i also loved the fact that there is a restaurant on same compond as the hotel so i didnt have to go far to find place to eat. i would definetly reccommend to family and friends!!!

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank nicky54359
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2010

The website looked good so we gave it a try. A young lady at the desk was very friendly but she was the only possitive about this motel. It was run down, several rooms were "out of service", the pool had a winter cover and out of service for the season (in June), no continental breakfast and the room was filthy. The virtual tour on their website must have been made when the building was new because it is nothing like that now. We planned to stay 4 nights but checked out after one night.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Mountain City
Millsap-Baker Estate
Millsap-Baker Estate
#4 of 5 in Damascus

Been to Mountain Empire Motel? Share your experiences!