“Bistro revisited”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Yarra Glen
Melbourne, Australia
“Bistro revisited”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

On our recent visit, our meals were very good indeed and excellent value at $15 a main meal for Wednesday night specials. My husband's pork and fennel sausages were excellent and came with a bacon salad. My falael were home made and perfectly cooked (not overfried and dry) with a delicous salad based on sweet pea greens. The old pub favorites remain on the menu. I wonder if they have all been upgraded in quality as my husband's sausages had been. The night's special of rabbit casserole in a mustard sauce sold out rapidly.The ambiance was lively and included local families with children as it was the school holidays. The Hotel itself is heritage listed and the bistro has always been rather old fashioned in decor. However, the new bistro decor - grunge chic? - is offputting. But maybe the proprietors are spending money on others thing first. Certainly, the food surprised me, it was so very good for an inexpensive pub. Food ordered at the counter and drinks at the bar. Food delivered to the table.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Had a great experience here with a (very late) check in. Amanda was reassuring on the phone that I would be met on arrival and then went the extra to organise a meal for me on arrival.
Friendly, great service from the bar also.
Makes all the difference!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

An impressive building from the outside. On a recent visit to Australia we decided to have lunch and ai trip to Yarra Valley because it was my wifes birthday.The hotel dominates toe town and is a very impressive Victorian building. Te owners have tried to 'modernise' the building in very bad taste. We thought we could up with that and sat down for lunch. The menu was un-impressive I have ever seen and was completely over priced. We did something we never do which is to leave.
It was getting late so we went to a nearby town of Healsville where we went to another hotel where we had an excellent lunch.
I have been the owner on a large country house hotel in England for many years so I have experirnce.

2 Thank tradlyn
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here as part of our Yarra Valley Balloon Package. What a charming old hotel. Right down to the squeaky floorboards! Courteous staff, 3 course meal as part of the package superb. Rooms very clean & comfy and a huge bathroom with a bath! Only about 10 minutes from the winery we had to meet at for our balloon flight

Room Tip: We stayed in the standard room as it was only one night & we were very impressed. It was very qu...
Mount Waverley, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I attended a wedding in the Yarra Valley , staying overnight at the Grand Hotel. To be honest , the whole hotel accommodation areas need a revamp-for example the carpets are very worn, and the floors creak. Reminded me of some English country hotels , lugging suitcases upstairs , along corridors to eventually find your room! On the positive side , the room was clean , the bed comfortable, and the hotel was fairly quiet after closing hours. Whilst I didn't have the full continental breakfast, the coffee was good , and the continental breakfast ( included in the tarriff ) looked OK. The hotel is very expensive by Australian standards -whilst for all sorts of reasons I took the most expensive room, the normal tariff for 2 in a double bed ( no choice) for a Saturday night is $185-its not worth that much , but accommodation is limited in Yarra Glen , Staff friendly , helpful

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in Yarra Glen for one night. The room was very small there was no where to boil the kettle , so we had to put it on the floor to boil.
There was music playing in the main bar area until 11.30 pm. The music was good but very loud,there was no way of sleeping until it had finished.
The room was clean.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karlene H
Noosa, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I visited in late May with my wife for an evening meal as there was little else open on a Tuesday night. Having read some of the previous reviews I had a little trepidation. Thankfully any concerns I had were unfounded.

Pub is located on main street in Yarra Glen and has a lovely heritage appearance. I felt it had ample character and entering via the main bar it was apparent that many locals frequent the pub - always a good sign.

Building has lovely old quirks with obvious additions over the years and a nice fire place holding our interest whilst ordering. Good choice for a country pub menu and prices were reasonsable providing quality was there - which it was. Our order for the evening - a chicken 'parmie' and 'beef and burgundy pie' from the specials board, came out promptly and were cooked to perfection - both dishes were generous serves with side salad and chips and were very tasty.

You order drinks at the bar and there is a very good selection of beers and wine by the glass - including local vintages.

Despite some of the other reviews my experience was all positive. Total bill for the evening was just less than $50.00 including 1 beverage each. Based on our evening I have no hesitation in recommending that you have a meal at the old Grand Hotel in the main street at Yarra Glen.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Sanctuary House Resort Motel
Sanctuary House Resort Motel
#1 of 3 in Healesville

Been to Yarra Valley Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!