We came here last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves so I thought ide surprise my wife for her birthday by taking her out saturday night to Rae's restaurant. We were greeted by the friendly host and were booked to sit by the fire place which he turned on before we were seated. This fireplace should be turned on at the start of the evening as it really adds to the atmosphere upon arrival.
Our waitress was disinterested and barely gave us a smile, she didnt know what several of the items on the menu were and had to keep running off to ask at which point I thought. ..ok she is new I can be patient. We both decided on the eye filet. We ordered some estate wine by the glass from Balgownie. halfway through pouring it our waitress mentioned that it was the slightly more expensive one and then ran out of wine from that bottle and ran off to get a fresh bottle to top up the glass. The wine turned out to be quite good but you must tell your customers first what your doing without making the assumption they will just take the next dearest.
After about 20 minutes we had to ask for the bread, olive oil and balsamic to be delivered as we were watching other guests who had arrived after us already get theirs and then right as the bread came so did our mains. Of course it was a scotch filet that was delivered and we were so hungry we tucked into it thinking that perhaps we had heard our waitress wrong.
Sure enough several other tables were told they were getting eye filet with scotch filet landing on their table which by the way wasnt to bad but another mistake to add to the growing list. our waitress walked past our table countless times with the water bottle In her hand but never saw that we had a glass needing to be filled. We ofcourse looked at each other when we ordered dessert but believe it or not that was delicious and went off without a hitch. When it came time to pay we mentioned all of the things to our flustered maitre de and he was apologetic and really just made excuses as to why the waitress didnt perform. One was that our waitress works at wedding functions and doesn't know the menu...what about her smile ? Does she save that for the weddings ? I even pointed to a couple that had just ordered the eye filet and said that he should mention it to them but he didnt seem interested. To top it off he bungled our bill and if it wasnt for the wife spotting it would have charged us 20% extra on our bill. In the end we got 10% off our bill but after what was such a bungled night, for what we paid, it was really just adding insult to injury.
This place isn't cheap and im happy to go and pay money for good food and service but what we experienced tonight was very disappointing. They were simply not as well oiled as they should be for a restaurant of this standard and little touches which are almost common sense were completely overlooked and ruined our experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa is ideally located in the heart of the Yarra Valley less than 1hr from Melbourne CBD & Airport. Boasting contemporary first class spa suite accommodation with spectacular views across the valley, Rae’s Restaurant, Cellar Door with complimentary wine tasting 7 days, Health Club, Natskin Spa Retreat, modern conferencing and leisure facilities plus more! Whenever you visit, you are guaranteed a memorable stay in the heart of Victorian wine country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort And Spa
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Hotel Yarra Glen
- Balgownie Vineyard Retreat Hotel
- Balgownie Vineyard Retreat Resort
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa Yarra Glen, Australia - Yarra Valley