“Some highs but too many lows”

Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Yarra Glen
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Great service from reception, cellar door, & restaurant staff. The restaurant looks & feels beautiful. We enjoyed the in-house massage gym & pool. Ability to drink 14yo reds by the glass, and entree blue cheese risotto & caprese tomato salad were fabulous. But a rack of lamb delivered 1.5 chops, seasonal vegetables was just one - squash, there was no cheese menu, just chef's mystery selection, and upon retiring both bedside reading lights were 'out'.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan B
Balgownie-Estat... R, Manager at Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Good afternoon Jonathan,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Balgownie Estate. I am excited to hear of the great experiences you had during your stay through a cross section of the resort. I have passed your comments onto to the executive chef regarding the rack of lamb and vegetables provided during dinner.
At Balgownie Estate, we are constantly reviewing our performance to ensure guests experiences are of the highest standard.
Best regards
Paul Koenig - Accommodation Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Only stayed 1 night at though because it is tie with my hotair balloon package. We stay in a 2 bedrooms suite and the whole place is quite spacious and clean. Very comfortable bed and very nice scenery from the rooms. Didn't get to try out food though. Had the wine tasting and it is a very pleasant wine cellar. Great place to chill relax. Will love to go back again.. Check in is hassle free but took awhile, checkout is smooth, no hiccups too. Downside.. maybe slightly pricey if i would just book accommodation without the package. And because the location, will need quite a drive out to town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fenzf

Good afternoon fenzf,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and provide some good feedback. Our rooms do have the beautiful views down the Yarra Valley. We are constantly reviewing our procedures to streamline both check in and check out, ensuring there is a minimal delay during those periods.

Best regards

Paul Koenig - Accommodation Manager

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We travels across Australia for seven weeks and this was going to be one of the highlighted stays. Decided to splurge a little Balgownie for four days. Sorry we did. They did not live up to their own reputation at all. One of our worst stays in country. They advertise great views from the deluxe suites so we upgraded. Wrong. There may at one time been great views. But now the trees have grown up and they built a big gravel parking lot in front of some of the rooms (including ours). So that's the view. When we checked in we noticed a number of lights were burnt out and promptly completed the "fix it" card in our room. When we dropped it off at the desk the clerks said that shouldn't be so. In four days, however, they never fixed the lights. The parking lot near the rooms for guests is too small for the number of rooms so don't be surprised if you have to walk a long distance to your room. They don't provide carts for luggage so be prepared to shlep. We were told a cart and driver would come by (it seemed it was a bit of a bother to the staff) - but by the time they showed up most everything was lugged to the room. The room felt more like a store. Be careful. There is lots of stuff for sale in your room. They even charge $12 for condoms. They state internet is available - but it is only through a cable. No wireless available in the rooms (really?! - in this day and age at a modern facility like this??). The steam room was broken and the "experience spa" was full of screaming kids. The water was luke warm. And they advertise this as a romantic getaway for couples.

One last thing. We are a same sex couple. When we came to check in the clerk looked at at us and stated "We only have you for one room and we don't have any other rooms available." Do you think he says that to opposite sex couples?

Stay somewhere else. We loved Yarra Valley and will be back. But not at Balgownie.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay and want a view, be rather insistent on what the view is of.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill C
Balgownie-Estat... R, Manager at Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

I would like to apologise for the recent experience not meeting your expectations. We have taken your feedback on board and discussed them at length.

I would also like to apologise for the lights in your room not being attended to Immediately. We have re-enforced our procedure in this regard.

Should you wish to discuss further, please contact Paul Koenig on 9730 0700.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Went to Balgownie for a two night stay - it was wonderful from the start to the finish! The staff were fabulous, the spa suite was to die for - luxurious, spacious and very well appointed - and the food awesome. I'd recommend Balgownie to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Balgownie-Estat... R, Manager at Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Balgownie Estate Resort and Spa. It's lovely to receive your positive feedback, and I will certainly pass your comments on to all concerned at our Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We booked at night there for Anzac day , in a suite 410 with jacuzzi inside and beautiful view , the room was really nice , staff at the reception really friendly.
We went there for a tasting , really nice guy , and good wines , really good prices too, we got few bottles , back to our room , to enjoy the wine on a balcony with a nice view and some cheeses we bought in a morning , but we didn't have any bread , can't find any bread on a room menu , we called the reception ( Cris ) and he said the restaurant is closed and we don't sell any bread but I'll try to get some and let you know...and a bit later a waitress came with some nice bread and we enjoyed wines and cheeses.
Then at night we went to the restaurant , really nice atmosphere with the nice fireplace , I ordered the scallops for starter , what an amazing surprised , the best scallops I ever had , main and desert was as good as the starter , service was good too.
Was a lovely evening.
Next morning we got a full breakfast there , fresh products , nice breakfast , even some French pastries , which it was good because I'm French and not a lot of restaurants have some , well lot have some but far from what we can eat in France , but this croissant was quite nice .
I was disappointed about the hot breakfast , like bacon , sausage...was not hot , was a bit cold , I would say it was the only negative point.
Anyway , you pay for a luxury place and you get everything you pay for and more , I would recommend this place if you want have a romantic or family week end.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Balgownie Estate Resort and Spa. It's lovely to receive your feedback, and I will certainly pass your comments about the Scallops onto our Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Was taken as a surprise break for my birthday in December two nights in a 1 bedroom suite. view to the south east over the valley was just stunning. The room having its own kitchen area was great, we were able to on night 2 get some cheese and wine and just have a night in.

Spa bath fits 2 grown adults with ease :)

Hotel facilities are good, the walking track of a morning was nice and a great way to see the Valley from another perspective. Indoor pool was lovely, tennis courts were good (though the hire rackets were needing a new grip, though at $0 hire I wouldn't complain!). Restaurant was great too, beautiful food, and we sat on the veranda after dinner with coffee and watching the night sky.

Close to prefect, hope to go back one day!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Balgownie-Estat... R, Manager at Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. It's so lovely to receive positive feedback, and very much appreciated. We are very pleased you had a lovely experience at Balgownie Estate, and you enjoyed all the facilities here at the resort.

We hope you come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My partner and I stayed here last night. I have to say I wouldn't waste a cent on this place!! The food was poor and terrible, I was still hungry afterwards and the chicken was pink in the middle. The service wasn't that great and when a handicapped man came through the waitress proceeded to say how awkward it was in front of him!! HOW RUDE. I have to say though the room and wine tasting was good, beautiful views and great spa. Now this mornings breakfast i found a worm in my raspberries and the waitress didn't even attempt to apologize. I then had a massage at Natskin which was meant to go for 90 min and I paid for 90 min and I reckon I was massaged for about 45 min and the rest was diddle daddle and filling out forms/ getting changed etc. I mean I don't mind paying good money but what I get back better be substantial to what i'm paying. Do not waste your time here, was sooo looking forward to a night away and I feel like we were treated like lower class on the Titanic!

Room Tip: Don't even bother
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paige G

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. Feedback is always welcomed and needed to ensure we deliver to our high standards and our guests expectations. We take pride in our service and customers comfort, on this occasion it has clearly not been met

I have passed your comments on to our Restaurant Manager, and would ask that you call him should you wish to discuss your experience further. You can contact Chris Kapakoulakis on 9730 0700

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarra Glen
#1 of 2 in Lilydale
Vibe Hotel Marysville
Vibe Hotel Marysville
#1 of 2 in Marysville

Been to Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!