“Great place with potential”

Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Yarra Glen
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place with potential”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our Yarra Valley overnight getaway. The resort had a great view, comfy suite, good facilities and a bathroom with an awesome view!

I used to work for a luxury hotel chain and I couldn't help notice a things like a dusty bedside lampshade and dusty pendant lights over reception to name a couple. I'm sorry , I try my best not to go into "critique mode" but I just can't help it. When a place claims to be a 4.5 star luxury hotel, I expect it (facilities, people and experience) because I have experienced it.

Overall, we had a great time and a relaxing stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Balgownie-Estat... R, Manager at Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Good morning Yhub,
Thank you for your review. I have instructed reception, housekeeping and maintenance staff to check and ensure all light fittings, both at reception and in rooms, are cleaned on a very regular basis.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
Best regards
Paul Koenig
Accommodation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here as we had friends getting married in the Yarra Valley. Although the place was beautiful I found our room quite small.
We booked into their restaurant for dinner one night and was impressed with the food and atmosphere. There is a great fireplace which is a feature in their restaurant.
Also they have a great cellar door. The guy who served us was fantastic and very knowledgeable. We love our red wine and the gentleman was kind enough to give us many tastes and opened a new bottle of an older vintage for us. We ended up buying a dozen bottles and can't wait to receive them.

Would like to stay here again to try out their spa and next time will opt for a larger room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Good morning Emily,
Thank you for your great review of Raes and the cellar door. We do have a variety of rooms, including the much larger one bedroom spa suites that have the lovely views down the Yarra Valley.
We look forward to welcoming your back to Balgownie estate in the near future.
Best Regards
Paul Koenig
Accommodation Manager
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a very enjoyable night here in a 2 bedroom spa suite. This is actually a 1 bedroom suite with interconnecting second queen room so you get 2 bathrooms/toilets and is perfect for a pair of singles or a pair of couples. The room was very large with big living room and nice views of the valley. The decor was modern and the bed was comfortable. The spa was large and really relaxing.

Staff that I came across were all very friendly. I had dinner and breakfast in rae's restaurant and really enjoyed my meals. Overall I was very impressed with the place and would recommend it to others considering short stays in the valley.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Adelaide
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights recently. We drank their wine, ate their food and enjoyed their facilities. Room was great. Clean modern and most of all, warm. It gets cold in the valley at night. We also visited the Dandenongs and had a lovely trip on Puffing Billy. There are so many things to do nearby.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Poor service and the facilities are an afterthought to the day spa and restaurant.

This is not a spa retreat. It's a very nice hotel room in the Yarra Valley, with great views of the car park and the vineyards beyond.

Access to the restaurant and the spa is across the busy car park. The services on offer at the spa may appear exhaustive but are rarely available. Mold is visible everywhere in the heated pool and finally staff need far more training on door knocking.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Skopsos
Balgownie-Estat... R, Manager at Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. The pool/spa is cleaned on a daily basis with strict criteria to OH&S. This is cleaned and checked on a daily basis. I have re-emphasised to all staff the policy of knocking before entering any guest room. My apologies if this was not done during your stay. The car park area is open to the public as well as in house resort guests. The rear car park adjacent to the tennis court is soon to be landscaped with trees.
Best regards
Paul Koenig - Accommodation Manager
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights to celebrate my birthday. We had a spa room. The bathroom was large, but the spa was not very clean. The view in the balcony was amazing. Swimming pool and gym were excellent. Overall the experience was very satisfied, and we were impressed with the hotel's breaky and dinner.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jie W
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked a 2BR suite and was 'upgraded' to a directors suite when we arrived. Except that the directors suite did not have a spa nor did it come with a nespresso machine. When I called to ask, reception seem almost unwilling to swap my rooms over to my original booking. Eventually we settled into the new rooms and were much happier. The 2BR suites are essentially privilege suite plus a queen room. Accommodation was clean and comfortable.
At check in, I had to ask about breakfast times even though it was included in my package. I had to ask where the facilities are. I wasn't made aware of the free internet until now when I am reading other people's posts.
The pool was heated but quite cold at this time of the year.
Breakfast at Rae's was rather ordinary. The fruits were not especially fresh though the waitress was quick to remove the offending one when I commented on it. We had a baby with us for breakfast and were not immediately offered a high chair but had to request for it.
Overall we had a good time. But its hard not to when its the first beautiful sunny weekend the whole of winter.
Great potential as it is a nice property with awesome views.

Room Tip: Corner privilege spa rooms are bigger and have a better view from the bed rooms. The rooms in the re...