“After wedding breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rae's Restaurant - Balgownie Estate

Rae's Restaurant - Balgownie Estate
Reserve with
Rae's Restaurant - Balgownie Estate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 28 Restaurants in Yarra Glen
Price range: US$19 - US$46
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated at Balgownie Estate in the Yarra Valley and within an hour of Melbourne, Rae's is an ideal venue for any occasion - a romantic getaway, that long awaited girlie weekend or just an excuse to escape. From casual coffee’s, to hearty breakfasts, chic lunches or intimate dinners, Rae's Restaurant will see you eat and drink in style. The views are breathtaking and the facilities invite you to extend your day. Enjoy a massage at our day spa, trek our walking tracks or simply indulge with a glass of bubbles by the fire. The warmer months make it impossible to resist the outdoor dining area overlooking our vines. For a bit of retail therapy, don’t forget to visit our Cellar Door.
Mount Waverley, Australia
“After wedding breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Only visited the restaurant for a Sunday after wedding breakfast. Guests aged from 2 to 75 attended. Food excellent , quantitiies good, service good. Not cheap but worth it

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
“Gone Down Hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

A very disappointing experience. Food was over cooked, and limited selection made choosing difficult. As an example, my wife had Gnocchi.the dish cost $26 and had exactly ten Gnocchi in the bowl. How could that be a main? My sword fish was as tough as leather and no availability of sharing plates made it awkward in a group of four. I have eaten here many times prior and was always satisfied. Today was disappointing and i will struggle to return.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Delightful Autumn Afternoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

"Review for Rae's Restaurant, Balgownie Estate, Yarra Glen.
My Sister and I took the opportunity to travel from Frankston to Yarra Glen for a Thursday vineyard lunch. Traffic on East Link was heavy but I rang ahead to say we would be late. Not a problem, I was thanked for calling and when we arrived we were welcomed and shown in to a spectacular, modern, very hospitable and spacious dining room looking east, out over rolling hills of vineyards resplendent in Autumn colours with the Yarra and Warburton Ranges in the blue distance.
Being a cool afternoon, the open fire in the entry and enclosed decorative fire in the dining room itself added the concept of warmth while the high clerestory windows allowed the sun to stream in. Simple, understated, white table cloths, shining glasses and cutlery. Who could ask for more? We had booked the set price menu and were disappointed to be told that the set price menu was not available, however we decided that we would choose from the open menu but keep to our budget. My sister was happy with tap water, but I chose a glass of their Black Label Viognier, a lovely classic wine with a crisp nose and soft fruit on the palate. A good choice for a light lunch on a weekday.
We decided to have the Fish of the Day, crispy skinned blue eye with sultanas and green beans. We shared an entree Heritage Tomato Salad as a side which came as a stack of sliced tomatoes of various colours layered with a light creamy cheese from their dairy and fresh basil leaf filling, on a flat round waffle base The fish was a delightful texture and the spiced sultanas with a hint of chilli perfectly complimented by the al dente fresh green beans. However, we each felt that the tomato salad gave the fish something it would have otherwise lacked. We were pleased with our main course.
We couldn't resist the deserts and my Sister chose the baked goats cheese cake desert served with a compote of fresh seasonal fruit, which she said was delightful and I enjoyed the vanilla panna cotta, silky and delicate, served with three crunchy biscuits each the size of a 10 cent piece, matching blobs of some red berry jus, and a scattering of crunchy pine nut toffee brittle. Now, who could complain about that?
We finished our treat with a cappuccino and an Early Grey tea. The dining room was nearly empty by now and although the cappuccino looked great it was tepid, cheerfully replaced a few minutes later with a very hot cappuccino, equally as well presented. I am not a big tea drinker but increasingly I enjoy simple tea, no milk or sugar, after a good meal. It refreshes without making the last drink just about hot milk. We had booked the set price menu as RACV Members and at the till, we were surprised that our meal came to exactly the cost of the set price menu! Now, how about that! We were also given a 10% Off Cellar Door card and my Sister promptly bought me a bottle of the Viognier as a Drivers Present.
Would we go again? In a direct line, Raes Restaurant is 65 kms from my front door, via East Link its a breeze but it is still 130 kms for lunch. As a destination the restaurant was a good choice, being partial as I am to good food, good views, clever architecture and general good design and efficient management. The dining room staff were crisp and well groomed in their black aprons and white shirts, service was a little slow I might have had two glasses of wine if asked but very efficient and friendly, such as the prompt exchange of hot for cool cappuccino. If not for the tyranny of distance, I wouldn't hesitate to go again, so yes I would but perhaps not soon and for lunch, not for dinner, mores the pity. I am sure dinner would be lovely, but a good part of the attraction of going is the scenery and lunch certainly delivers plenty of that! "
Review Note: For our visit, I have rated Very Good and I haven't rated all facilities of Rae's as we did not experience all facilities.

• Visited May 2014
“nice romantic dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

with entertainment card in hand - we have returned for a second visit... not quite as good - the tasting platter had no olives... yep seriously.. no olives...but overall the meal, drinks and service were good and we would return again

Visited June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“nothing to write home about”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Food was ok, but not great. Paid $70 per person and had to pay extra for sides. No vegetables on our plates, very disappointing. Very small portions for all 3 courses. What little food there was was tasty but we would not recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2014