“Opryland Nashville Surprised Me”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #48 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Carlsbad, California
“Opryland Nashville Surprised Me”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I didn't have any idea of how large Opryland would be before traveling there for a conference. Turns out - the location is fantastic. A quick walk to the Grand Ole' Opry was a must, an evening show as well, convenient shopping, and a shuttle that would get me to downtown Nashville was all I needed. I felt like I was outside anytime I was at the hotel, and was able to avoid that humid weather. Staff were professional and kind, and although there were multiple conventions going on, the hotel was more than equipped to handle a full house.

If I travel back to Nashville, I'd take my family and kids and do my best to take advantage of what appeared to be some great fun for children.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,937)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I signed up for the Dreamworks weekend package list at $380 for 2 nights, 2 adults 2 children. They charged my credit card for this amount plus tax before my arrival. Upon arrival i was notified that I would be charged an additional $20 per day for parking. My car is already in the lot before I realize there is a charge! Then they advised there was also a $15 amenities charge per day for wireless internet and some other fabricated services I did not need in the hotel (these charges are listed on the website but hidden within the terms and conditions section). So bottom line is the package they offered on the internet was 18% higher than advertised. I would have chosen another location for my weekend had I known. They know once you have traveled all the way to the hotel you will not cancel. Very deceptive.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Every time you step out of your room, you will get lost. This place is a freaking zoo complete with pool karaoke right outside our window. As we were there for a show (confusingly at the Ryman downtown instead of the Opry, the Grand Ole messup on our tickets is that they mailed me the wrong ones), we had no need for a hotel bigger than two Vegas Hotels stacked right next to each other. This is the worst part of Nashville. The staff is so OVER tourists as they usually are at any tourist trap. The hotel public places are overrun with children and most of the people working there were happy to pass the buck onto the next staff member or department if they can get away with it. Campy, awful, way too big, stay here only if you really enjoy disneyworld or Branson. Never again.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, the room has amenities such as a coffee maker and blow dryer. Be prepared to s...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank danihipkins
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2012

There's not any doubt. The hotel is truly beautiful. But don't let the beauty take you in. Although there are some positives, there are also several negatives about this hotel. Unfortunately, we were hit with a negative first... the parking situation. It wasn't difficult to find a spot. It was difficult to swallow the bitter pill of having to pay $21 for the privilege of parking at a hotel where the room charge was already nearly $200 per night. The front desk is organized and friendly. At first,we were a little wary of the long line of people checking in ahead of us. However, the line moved quickly, with about 10 employees, all smiling and helpful, checking the frazzled tourists in, as we wound through corderd off pathways, reminiscent of Disneyworld. After checking in we made our way to our room through the atrium . The scene was breathtaking, filled with gorgeous plants, winding paths and water falls. Then came negative number two... navigating our way around the huge complex. We were given a map, which was difficult to follow, and after several wrong turns, wrong elevators and long walks (with luggage in tow) down mazes of seemingly unending corridors, we finally found the room. It would have been so much more helpful if they'd had someone stationed at the atrium entrance to help with directions, or even better directional signs along the way. We saw many people, like us, walking around aimlessly lost, maps in hand, scratching their heads. There wasn't an employee in sight to even ask which way to go. You're pretty much on your own. Bring your GPS! The room was nicely decorated and clean. A definite plus is the shuttle, which runs every 15 minutes, and takes you directly to the Grand Ole Opry. When we returned to the hotel, after the show, at about 10 o'clock, we stopped at the Cascades American Cafe, hoping to get a late night snack and a drink. It took 15 or 20 minutes for the ONE waitress to finally come to our table. We saw several people who had taken seats, get up and leave, for lack of service. The waitress told us the kitchen was closed. Huh? You have busloads of people coming back from the Opry, and you close the kitchen? No late-nite snacks - sandwiches - nachos - pretzels???? They were only serving drinks. So, we ordered Margaritas. About 20 minutes later, the drinks arrived.... underwhelming and overpriced. ($10) The next morning, after about 30 minutes of searching, we found the lobby, hoping to find a cup of coffee. Not only was there no kind of continental breakfast, but no coffee to be found. When we finally found an employee to ask, she said we could get coffee and breakfast pastries at the Cocoa Bean Cafe. Huh??? Paying $200 a night for a room and no courtesy coffee? So, we reluctanly went to the Cocoa Bean...got the $4.00 cup of coffee... elected not to partake of any of the exhorbitantly priced muffins. Seriously??? $4.99 for a small dried up looking pastry? Later, we had lunch at Stax...friendly service... great hamburger! (For each person - Hamburger, fries and a beer$14.00). We then took the Delta Riverboat Tour, through the hotel indoor garden, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The guide was friendly and informative. All in all, the hotel was a pleasant experience. However, buyer beware. Although there are many amenities available (for an extra charge) the ordinary traveler may find the OpryLand Hotel a bit over-priced.

Room Tip: Book early for an atrium facing room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Beautiful hotel, great staff. If you're staying overnight in Nashville this is a must! The scenery is fanastic, the cascades really are appealing. Rooms were very clean. Housekeeping was very friendly when you had a special request.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Fun53_11
Portland
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at the hotel and were very pleased with the facility. The flowers, waterfalls and winding paths were wonderful. Plenty of places to just sit and relax and enjoy the water. This is the second time I have stayed there and I still get lost from one area to another even with the map they provide. Even though you have the general idea on how to locate a coffee shop or restaurant, if you miss taking an escalator or turn ... it can take some back-tracking for sure.

The room we stayed in was very nice and the maids do an excellent job. We could not get one facing the atrium unless we wanted to pay an extra $65 a night; so we faced the parking lot. Since there are so many places to sit and enjoy the scenery, this proved not to be an issue.

We had the guacamole and margaritas at their Mexican restaurant called Solario. They were both excellent. We had a nacho at the Fuse Sports Club and was disappointed.

The Jack Daniel's Grill and bar had both excellent food and great customer service. Johnny really knows how to make an excellent drink and is more than willing to help you with info on the area. After his shift, he even helped us locate fire flies on the hotel property.

For a quick bite, the Paisano's Pizzaria and Vino was great for a slice of pizza and salad. It was very good and not expensive and had a great water view. We did not eat at the Stax (make your own burger place), but it was quite popular as there were always lines to get in.

For additional food choices, there is an indoor outlet mall next to the hotel that they provide a free shuttle to. Lots of nice shopping with a food court as well as places to eat like Macaroni Grill, TGIF, Rainforest Cafe, Claim Jumper and Johnny Rockets. They also have a movie theater.

They have a shuttle service called the "Wildhorse Honky Tonk Shuttle" where you can get dropped off in front of the Ryman or the Wildhorse Saloon. From the Ryman drop off point, it is within walking distance of the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum. It was very convenient and you could choose to ride for one day or choose a three day pass.

They have a free shuttle that takes you to the Grand Ole Opry which is very close to the mall and hotel.

Great hotel

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PortlandPhyl
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Gaylord Opryland hotel for a military function on a Saturday night. We had special military discounted room rates. On arrival our hotel bill was all of a sudden almost 50$ more expensive than we were told before we booked the room, for taxes, city tax and service fee (which is for the water in the room, wireless internet and the use of the pool). In addition we had to spent an extra 8$ for parking even though we were overnight guests! After our military function was over, around 2200-2300, some of us decided to get a use out of the service fee and go swimming but all pools were closed. My husband and I decided to use the pool the next day, on our way to the first outdoor pool it started to rain so they closed the pool. We asked the staff and they send us on a 10 minute walk to the one indoor pool they had. Once we arrived there, the pool was allready closed because of bad weather- remember it is an indoor pool that gets closed because of rain! I was very upset and made my way back to the reception. The lady I talked to just smiled so I asked for her manager, who told me it was TN law to close indoor pools due to bad weather ( it was just raining!!!). I told him that I did not agree with a 15$ service fee than if we can`t use the service. He was not willing at all to accomodate our wishes and just told me the fee is not optional and did not believe me that we weren`t told of the fees in advance! Today (Monday) I called the hotel and asked for room rates, telling them I have never been to the hotel before. They told me different room rates and told me all about the hotel and restaurants, but not about the fees! After I asked " does that price include taxes", than she told me about all the fees, but not unless I specificly asked for it! Also our super military special was almost 50 dollars more expensive than the rate she gave me with military discount for the same room. I asked if weekend prices are different and she told me that is the price untill September, after than it will be more expensive.
At our function we had a 3 course meal, the waitress and waiter did not work with proper eticet! They served food from the left side, took away the salad plate and served the main course to everyone on the table before I was finished with my salad, asked for coffee during the main course and so on. I earned my degree in hotelmanagement in Europe, so I know what I am talking about. If prices like that are charged the staff should be trained and know what they are doing!!!!! I have been in many hotels and I was very shocked with the service we got for the money we spent and all that in a 5 star hotel. Also I was trained to handle customer complaints, and that is defnitly not how you handle them. It is not my fault for asking the "wrong" employee for directions to the indoor pool and than being dissapointed about it being closed. The manager told me they have over 3000employees and not everyone can know if the pool is open or closed during "bad weather", I should have asked a receptionist. In my oppinion it is the hotels job to train their employees!!! Also if I pay that much for a room, I expect breakfast to be included, even at a motel you get a complimentary breakfast!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple