“Much improved since last visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Much improved since last visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I posted a review of this property on TripAdvisor almost ten years ago. My opinion of this place has done a 180-degree turn. For a hotel with over 2000 rooms, the service here is outstanding. Food in every restaurant was outstanding. Room service was as good as I've had in any hotel I've ever been to. Yes, everything about the place is grossly overpriced. But I'm afraid supply and demand is a factor here.

The place is so massive, I was nervous about checking in. But somehow they make it easy. If you are self parking, there is a place where they let you park your car for 15 minutes while you check in.

Rooms are very nice. Only slightly dated things are the beds and end tables. One notable negative about Opryland Resort: the beds and pillows; they are not comfortable.

We were there during the Christmas lights. Noticeable difference between night and day. At night, the place is teeming with tourists. In the morning, mainly just hotel guests are there. So you don't have the huge crowds.

The place is beautiful. Of course, this is a place where you want a room looking over the interior of the building. They gave us a free upgrade upon check-in. It was my birthday and they went out of their way to get balloons for me. One of the front desk people purchased some balloons off the property, on her own time, for my wife to give to me. They do not keep balloons there.

The service, food, rooms and overall property here are outstanding. To get in the Christmas spirit, I think I would choose Opryland over other Southern locales as Asheville or Madison, Ga. Yes, it is pricey. The $18 resort fee is a joke. Most of the items covered by the fee are free of charge at other properties. But you only live once.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BillVol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madison, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We visited the Opryland resort for the weekend. Specifically, we saw the Rockettes (worth the money) and then toured the hotel. It worked out perfectly because the weather was cold and damp. The room was a standard room- nothing to write home about. However, it was fantastic being able to walk around completely inside. We ate at the Wasabi Sushi place. Food was good but a tad bit on the expensive side. We spent most of our time walking around looking at the lights and taking pictures. It is obvious that going to Gaylord is a date night for a lot of people and young folk which gives it a nice atmosphere. We only stayed one night but it was worth the drive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just returned from 5 wonderful days at Opryland Resort. The decorations are unbelievable, nativity scene included. Went to the Lorrie Morgan dinner show which was wonderful. Saw the Rockettes, ICE and a carriage ride pulled it all together. Looking forward to next year when I will do it all again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the atrium, it's worth it.;
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
spartanburg, south carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

As everyone states the hotel is beautiful. The lights and decorations are gorgeous. Customer service on the other hand needs work. We were there for the Sunday School Publishing Board Conference (SSPB). We made the reservations through the hotel number given. On check-in Ms. Stevie was very nice. I explained to her that we were with the Sunday School Publishing Board Conference and should not be taxed. I am on oxygen and asked that our party, three rooms, be on the same floor and close to the convention center. We ended up the 4th floor D4163 not close, and the rest of our party ended up on the 3rd floor closer to the convention center. Upon check-out with Ms. Samatha stated we owed $63.00. I explained to her that we were with the SSPB Conference located here in TN and we should not be charged taxes. She called a Ms. Kim McClanahan whom stated that we needed to fax our 501-3c. We did as she asked. Instead of Ms. McClanahan stating that she could not do anything with the document because it was from another state, she placed it in a locked box for shredding that no one could open. Ms. Samantha thought this was hilarious. She and Ms. McClananhan laughed on the phone while my husband and I stood there. Finally, my husband pointed out a manager. We went over to Ms. ViVi's front desk and she called over the manager. Ms. Cherice was very professional, she introduced herself and put out her hand to shake. She then asked us the problem and stated she would call Accounting to see what she could do. Accounting stated that we need a copy of the check the church paid with and a copy of the 501-3c that Ms. McClananhan had thrown away without our permission. Again, I called the church and had the docment faxed straight to Ms. Cherice. Since I always travel with with my copies of paperwork in case of a problem, I had a copy of the check. We had to pay tax, but not $60.00 worth of taxes. We truly thank Ms. Cherice and Ms. ViVi for their assistance. This is what we expect from Marriott hotels and especially one of such high caliber. The SSPB attendees were all having the same problem. Hopefully, SSPB can find a different location next year in Nashville to hold this conference.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel is clean, rooms are stylish and comfortable with great housekeeping . Restaurant choices are numeroous but very overpriced, even for major hotel standards. The check in process is painful, a long wait in line, poor staff attitude. Despite 3 duplicate confirmations of my room request for a King room, my request was not granted. I was told that none would be available but I could check back with registration daily. Even though we expressed our disappointment, especially for my very tall husband who needs the length of a King bed, no apologies were made. Thought things would be better with Marriott managing this hotel than when we were there a few years ago, but this was not the case. Only reason to stay here is for a Convention, otherwise go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bethany Beach, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is our 4th or 5th trip to Opryland but never came during the Christmas season....what a treat! The lights were fabulous.....the nativity scene and more lighting outside was awesome! What's not to love at Gaylord Opryland? Every restaurant on scene is fabulous -- there's something for everyone. We saw the Rockettes next door at the Grand Ol' Opry which was worth the price of admission, so to speak. They were beyond delightful ! It's quite crowded around Thanksgiving but we enjoyed the hustle and bustle....it's part of the season! The only negative would be that our room really was "standard" -- nothing as special as you would expect on this grand property. I recommend going a little higher in price and get the balcony room(s) -- next time, we hope to do just that!

Room Tip: Get a "view room" -- all the high balcony rooms looked to have great views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alamo, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Loved staying here. Our first time but would recommend everyone to go. Lights bright and every where indoors and outside. I felt like a child going looking for lights. I would recommend Ice Frosty the Snow man, New York Rocketts, and the outside Nativity Scene going to see them even if you can't stay all were outstanding! Food was delicious and our server was excellent. We tried room service was good and pretty fast and good food. Overall wonderful place!

Room Tip: We actually did not use the Spa but know place to mark did not participate,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple