“Too big for staff”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 160 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed overnight at Opryland last month. This place is huge and loaded with eye appeal throughout with fountains and gardens that take a back seat to no facility this side of Las Vegas. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. The staffing seemed to be inadequate. Not a bellman or valet in sight at the motor court. A long wait at check in. The room, while nice, had what appeared to be graffiti on the walls. Maintenance had attempted to cover, but not a very professional attempt. Overall, I will say that I didn't have much of an opportunity to experience all they had to offer. But I saw enough to opt for elsewhere next time I'm in Nashville.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank rich-queenie
Write a ReviewReviews (9,866)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

It is a shame to call this a hotel because it is so much more than that. It's all you need or can ask for under one roof! You never have to go outside. Whatever the weather is outdoors, you experience the same temperature within this indoor oasis. At least three different hotel areas on the property (Cascades, Delta and Magnolia). I was booked in Cascades which was nice and comfortable but I think it was the oldest of the others. Great restaurants and friendly people. If you love Cracker Barrel, it is across the street. There is a huge shopping mall right next door. On the property there is a boat ride which takes you around the hotel. There are beautiful waterfalls, flowers, trees (orange, avocado, lime) amazingly beautiful. People were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely visit again. It's a great place for a wedding!

Room Tip: They have rooms directly across from the elevators. Can get a little noisy. Make sure to ask when...
1  Thank Ny E
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Gaylord Opryland - thank you for sharing your experience. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the restaurants and that our staff was friendly and helpful. We hope to see you again on your next business or leisure trip to Nashville!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Hotel room was clean and grounds were pretty to look at. However, we did not enjoy our stay. We were told by the front desk that the best place to have dinner was the Old Hickory Steak House. Our steaks took approx. 45 minutes to arrive and were cold. Service was slow even though there were six empty tables around us. It was also the most expensive restaurant in the resort. I approached the front desk twice during my stay and had to interrupt the huddle of employees chatting away behind the desk both times. Then they acted annoyed that I had questions for them. We paid $28/day for valet parking. One day we returned to the hotel and pulled into the self parking lot because I was only there to grab something from my room. They charged me an additional $8 for that! The stores do not open on time in the morning even though the staff is in there. She rudely told me she had to count her money before she could open...how about arriving 10 minutes early to work to count your money and open on time so customers with planes to catch have a few minutes to shop?! The location is only good if you're going to the Opry. If you're interested in the downtown area on Broadway, it's too far. In my opinion, the Resort is NOT worth the money we left there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wbais
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Absolutely breathtaking grounds, architecture, and engineering marvel. However, food pricing and access to food service was shocking. While there for a large conference I soon learned that hours of operation are limited and erratic. The hamburger place was closed on Sunday and Monday. Pizza place next door had a never ending line for a $5 slice of pizza. The Fuse Sports Bar ran out of product (chicken and turkey)! The lines at the other dining options were long and service was slow. Coffee is readily available for over $3 and another wait in line. Parking is $20 plus tax per day, and quite a walk from the hotel as the lots are nearly full.

Room noise was nearly unbearable. Saturday night brought all night parties on both sides and above. Room doors have a gap large enough to see light and provide little noise suppression. TV channels are limited by my standards - no Discovery, History channels?

Had it not being captive to a conference, I would have checked out the first day. Not what I expect from Marriott.

3  Thank chriscpd98
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a really good place for a conference, especially when the weather is poor. There are 47 acres under roof. Sitting on the balcony listing to the waterfalls and seeing all the green plants and trees was nice. Even at conference rates the rooms were over priced. I paid an up charge to get a better room and ended up with the same room as other attendees got for the lower rate.
There is shopping adjacent at OPRY MILLS MALL and of course the grand Ole Opry is also adjacent. The room was nice but a bit worn. If you stay here at some point you will hit your shin or knee on the ridiculous huge wooden bed frames that stick well out beyond the mattress. If you stay for several days as we did then it will be multiple times. Between my wife and me I thought we were going leave in a wheel chair.
You are somewhat captive to the place because there is little within walking distance, especially when it rains for two days! The restaurants are overpriced and the food was just okay. Coffee is really good but the most expensive I have ever encountered. I know Nashville is a destination city but I did not expect San Francisco or New York City prices for food and drink.
$20. per day self park.
This is a run of the mill conference center. What makes it spectacular are the atriums full of plants, trees and lots of running water. Just seeing the inside of the facility would be worth stopping if you happen to be driving by.
If I go to another conference there I will stay somewhere else and put up with the hassle of getting there each day.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a balcony looking into the Atrium near a water falls
1  Thank kentdan1
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Beautiful resort! Enjoyed my stay! I only wish there was more reasonable price food chooses. With a large family one must leave the resort if you want to feed the family without spending too much. Other than that it was great!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Gaylord Opryland - thank you for sharing. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I was staying at the Gaylord for a conference. I had been there 4 years ago. It is beautiful and the grounds are well taken care of. I can't believe this was a Marriott property. My overnight room was worn. The fixtures had dust, the throw pillows had stains and the carpet was stained and dirty. I would have asked for another room but I might have been gotten lost trying to find a new room. The food was expensive. There is a small coffee shop that has salads and lighter fare off of the magnolia area.
The shuttle from the airport was great. There is no bell service so be prepared to carry your own luggage a great distance. The 10 minute walk to the mall offers a nice variety of food choices and shopping! Dinner downtown. We checked out Merchants and it was good.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business