“Wow! Big, easy to get lost but worth it”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Wow! Big, easy to get lost but worth it”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Resort complex is massive but with the help of themed areas and all being colour coded it does make finding your away around a little easier. Do be sure to keep and use the map provided. Rooms large, clean and comfortable. Catering outlets overpriced in my opinion but being a captive audience I don't blame them for hiking the prices. Opry Mills around 10 mins walk just past Grand Ole Opry has food court with well known outlets at better prices. Reminds me of the large hotel complexes in Las Vegas.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PeterHillsLewes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,882)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

If you are not attending a conference, don't bother with this hotel. Nashville city center is miles away and there is nothing else around this hotel, so to get the real flavor of Nashville you will have to take the expensive shuttle or a cab. There are plenty of good hotels downtown.

However, this hotel is gigantic and should be seen once. It is very hard to navigate around due to its size; the signage is particularly bad. The amenities in the junior suite are good and the water pressure is fine in the bathroom. The TV works as expected and the layout of the room was terrific. The bed slept great. It is a treat to watch the Grand Ole Opry broadcast live in the studio on the ground floor. It is mesmerizing!

My biggest complaint about this hotel is its expense. The food in all of the restaurants is WAY overpriced. And because you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere, you have few other options. The snacks in the shops are also outrageously priced. The shops are all touristy things, with little quality. Also, there is usually a long wait for restaurant tables as only 2 restaurants take reservations. The rooms are not cheap either, and they are pretty much standard Marriott rooms.

When I travel for pleasure to Nashville, I never stay here. Only when I attend a conference at this hotel, do I stay here.

Room Tip: A junior suite is quite nice, but be sure to ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Christmas2010
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Gaylord Opryland as part of a convention. I have stayed at the hotel on several occasions and this was by far my worst experience.

The hotel is very large and has well appointed rooms. The internet coverage is good and the flat screen TVs have several HD channels. The water pressure is good and the bathroom is well stocked with amenities and towels. The fitness center is well above average although several new cardio machines are TechnoGym....not my personal favorite. The indoor pool is configured for lap swimming while the outdoor pool is for recreational use. Two hot tubs are outside. I found the food at several restaurants to be average or below average but the price was very high. After the first two days most of our group took to eating out. If you are deciding whether to get a rental car or not get one---breakfast alone can run up to $50 per person in the hotel with taxes, tips and room service fees.

Several reviews about this hotel note that the thermostat didn't work properly in the room. The hotel has installed a climate monitoring system in each room that allows a central computer to monitor and change the room temperature from what is on the thermostat. Each room has a motion sensor mounted near the ceiling that turns the HVAC system on when it senses movement. When you are out of the room or asleep the system doesn't sense movement and turns the system off. The fan runs all of the time so you will think the heat or a/c is on but it is not....as you will note has the temperature changes in the room. The blower running all of the time is actually intentional to mislead you into believing the system is operating. If you like your room cold to sleep you won't get that here....the system will not let you get it cold. I woke up 3-4 times per night at which time I would wave my hand and the system would turn on and cool the room. For those frequent travelers who have learned to hack these kind of systems note that this one uses the original old thermostat so you can't use a key combination to override the system. By the way, the engineer (they call it the Power Plant) told me that if I want my room set to a specific temp I would need to tell him and he would call the power plant to have them set it on the computer. Bingo---if they can set your room temp from another building they are controlling the system. When I asked why I couldn't just set the thermostat to the temp I wanted the power plant guy (who was very helpful and professional) had a hard time answering.

As is typical with these kinds of systems, most of the hotel staff doesn't even know they have been installed. When I called to complain about the temperature in my room I was told 1) there is no motion sensor 2) the motion sensor doesn't work 3) when I noted that it actually lights up I was told "well it works but it is tied into the fire suppression system and tells it to turn on if you are in the room. Really? So if you are out of the room and there is a fire the system won't put it out? I love it when the hotel talks to a guest like they are an idiot and in this case Daniel the manager on duty wins the award. He had absolutely no idea about the configuration of the guest room and finally told me he was sending an engineer up to "explain" my room to me. He didn't tell the engineer, however, and the poor guy showed up not knowing why he was dispatched to my room. When I asked for the property GMs name Daniel wouldn't give it to me...it actually took several minutes to get him to actually tell me who the GM is. This lack of customer service reflects directly on the poor management of Mr. P Weien the GM. I didn't bother to contact him---any hotel that goes to the lengths this one does to hide its manipulation of the HVAC system doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Other problems during this stay:
1) Four calls to the hotel operator were either never answered or disconnected.
2) When I asked to have feather pilows brought to my room one of them had a large blood spot on it.
3) My trash was not emptied by housekeeping on one day.
4) the HVAC system didn't cool the room. Yes--mentioned above but this one deserves a second call out.

As a Marriott Platinum member I was really excited when this became a Marriott property. Based on my experience the overall management of the hotel has declined significantly and is not at the standard that existed before Marriott took over.

I'm guessing management will try to post a note on this post stating they don't screw with the HVAC system. Before you do..remember when you intentionally mislead your guests you are committing fraud in the state of Tennessee.

BLUF: Not only will I not be back but I'm going to work with some other employees at my company to get this property removed from the authorized hotel list.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want a good night sleep.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Seattle0007
brodhead
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for my work conference at the beginning of April. The grounds and inside gardens are absolutely AMAZING! Beautiful hotel, so unique! Rooms were nice, staff was very friendly, everything you could want in a hotel.
Within walking distance to the outlet mall, which was very nice and had a lot of different restaurant choices. We ate there almost every evening. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to and from the mall for those who have trouble getting around.
Rented a car from Hertz at the hotel for a day and staff was very friendly (and gave us a deal!!).
The only drawbacks were the expensive restaurant food that wasn't worth the money, the long lines for registration and concierge, and the hotel wasn't necessarily within walking distance of any attractions.
I would've made it five stars if they didn't charge and arm and a leg for the airport shuttle!
Overall,, great stay and would recommend it to friends if they can get a decent price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brookievb88
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The sheer scale of this hotel is mind boggling but the novelty value of this undercover tropical paradise will entertain most for a couple of days. The place is beautifully kept and clean and the service is excellent.
Although 9kms from downtown the hotel operates a shuttle that is reasonable value although not always punctual. There are plenty of eating options but they are expensive and dishes can be on the large and stodgy side. I don't know that we'd use it again but we're glad we tried it.
By the way the wireless upgrade for $7 isn't worth it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tedsowner
Huntsville
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We come here every year. The two big drawbacks are the price of the food, and the limited wifi access. Supposedely, you can get faster wifi for a fee. I can't imagine there are many willing to pay the extra fees. Most have learned to bring their own food or walk next door to the mall.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kismet4
Gurley, Alabama
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband spent 2 nights at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel attending the 2014 AAAA Convention. After we arrived and parked at the designated parking lot, we had a difficult time finding the lobby.
Once we found the lobby, we asked for a inside room and were given a room on the 3rd floor of the Magnolia part of the hotel. We were told it had one of the best views. After getting there we found our selves on the third floor but looking out we were actually on the first floor with a view not so good. What we saw was a walk way, plants, and the front of a restaurant. We called the front desk and were put on hold twice, waiting more than 5 minutes. We hung up and went back to the lobby. And if you ever have been at this hotel you know how far of a walk it is. We told them of our problem and the young man took the additional $59 for the inside view off of the bill. The hotel was pretty much sold out so we were not able to get a better room, only one which was similar to the one we had. The room was nice, not any different from any other hotel room while the cost is much higher. It was quiet though and we got a good night sleep. The room was not cleaned until late in the afternoon. We also noticed tables and left overs from guests who ordered breakfast were left in the hall way pretty much all day. Even though most of the staff was very nice one of the housekeeping employees did not see it fit to hold the elevator for us. Our remote control to the tv was not working and after being promised someone would check it out, no one came. The grounds of the hotel are absolutely beautiful but can be visited without having to stay at the hotel. Restaurants are pricy and you'll get a much better deal leaving the hotel grounds. All in all we still had a good time.

Room Tip: Don't take the word of a receptionist, you might end up having to change the room. Not all insid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business