“Fun for.the.family”

Ranked #39 of 255 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Add some exotic to the everyday with Nashville Zoo at Grassmere. Wander through a lush canopy of bamboo, come face to face with a clouded leopard, feed some Australian parrots, and delve into the far reaches of the Amazon. Nashville Zoo is your ticket to African giraffes, poison arrow frogs, zebras, red pandas, kangaroos, gibbons, meerkats and much more! Children of all ages will be fascinated with the zoo’s Highlighted Habitats. Find out why a baby giraffe likes warm temperatures. Walk the winding path through 4,500 square feet of naturalistic Australian landscape in the Kangaroo Kickabout. In the Kickabout, you will be in the home of a troop of red kangaroos. Keep your eyes and ears open for the cockatoos that also live in Kangaroo Kickabout. In between your animal adventures, be sure to take a spin on our Wild Animal Carousel, get a new view of the Zoo from Soaring Eagle zip line, monkey around our 66,000-square-foot Jungle Gym, or even step back in time on the walking tour at our Grassmere Historic Home and Farm. When you visit the 1810 historic home, you will learn about the name “Grassmere” and how the zoo came to be located there.
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Nice zoo. Well shaded. Plenty of animals and unique exhibits. By the time you go twice a year you could purchase a zoo membership which we chose to do.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Not a huge zoo but worth the time and money. If you visit Lorakeet Landing be aware that they are flying around, I myself was lucky enough to have a passing bird leave his droppings all down my back. Part and parcel of being in an enclosed area with birds flying around. Fortunately the kater was going to wipe most of it off. The giraffes, Hyacinth macaws, and other creatures were all out and about, My son and I enjoyed it a great deal.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

What's to say. We have kept a membership here since our kids are little. They are 20, 18, and 14 and we still love going here. They keep things up and add things on occassion to keep it from getting stale. These guys do an A+ job. Oh - and if they read this - please keep the play area - can you believe my teen agers still love it.

1  Thank csblinky
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Went to the zoo on August 1, 2012 by myself one afternoon. It was a hot day but all the animals were out and active. Loved seeing the elephants running around and the giraffe family interacting with each other. The tiger was actually laying in the water keeping cool. The zoo is broken into 2 main paths: Savannah loop and Jungle loop. I did both loops and then went inside (AC!) and looked at the Unseen World (frogs, snakes, fish, etc). Took me about 2 hours to walk the loops and see all the animals. It was $15 for admission and $5 for parking. Overall, I would definitely recommend this zoo.

3  Thank Christina1987
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We (2 adults, no kids) went to the zoo on a hundred degree day. It wasn't the best idea we've ever had but it was still a great time. Most of the zoo is shady and there are several places to stop and enjoy some AC. All of the exhibits we walked by looked great and we could see the animals. Most were sleeping or hiding in the shade but we could see them atleast. There was a petting zoo type area that was fun. There were zoo employees all around to tell you more about whatever animal they were standing near.