“Loved Everything About This Hotel!”

The Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #4 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was our first time in Nashville and I'm so happy that my husband booked us a room at the Hermitage Hotel. We dealt with the concierge a few times before we arrived, and Vickie was beyond helpful. She was a joy to talk to! Our first impressions when we arrrived were very positive. The doorman greeted us warmly and then we were brought into the fabulous lobby. Even the hotel smells amazing -- like lemons or something. Not overpowering but a clean, fresh scent. The girl at the front desk checked us in and answered all our questions. The bellboy was right there after check-in to help us out with our luggage and bring us to our room. Everyone we encountered was professional and friendly and had real southern charm. The room was so spacious and plush, and the bed was like what I imagine sinking into a cloud would be like. We got a great deal booking through AmEx and the platinum card. (Free breakfasts, $100 F&B voucher, room upgrade, early check-in and a late check-out -- plus, the room rate went down $30 a night). Loved the nightly turn down service. I'd easily compare this hotel to a Four Seasons property. We were completely spoiled here and I recommend this hotel very highly. We loved Nashville and I can't wait to return and I will be staying at the Hermitage Hotel, for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LILady11

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful hotel. The lobby and rooms were luxuriously decorated and offered all the comforts one might expect. The staff were incredibly attentive. I enjoyed one of the most restful nights of our travels. One should not miss breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Capital Grill, and be sure to have the grits.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank frankb582
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Beautiful hotel. They think of every amenity you may need and some you didn't think you did. Large room and bathroom with nice big tub and separate shower. The bar down stairs is very comfortable and had an excellent meal in the Capital grill. A must stay in Nashville!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank mkc88
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This was my second stay at The Hermitage. Nashville is not my first choice destination, but I have to visit for my husband's work. As long as I get to stay at The Hermitage, I don't mind coming to Nashville. The hotel is beautiful - especially the lobby. I love all of the history. The rooms are well appointed, the staff is extremely helpful and the hotel restaurant, Capitol Grill, is consistently one of the best hotel restaurants I have ever dined in. The hotel owns a farm about four miles away and most of the produce and much of the meat comes from this farm.

On this visit I did have two complaints, one of which is pretty nit-picky, which is where the fifth star was lost.

On this visit I had the opportunity to take advantage of the Spa at the Hermitage. I emailed the concierge ahead of my arrival and requested a 60 minute Firm Swedish massage with a female therapist. I received a confirmation via email and a letter at check-in from the concierge that I was scheduled for a 60 minute Firm Swedish massage at 2pm on Wednesday. The email even confirmed my request for a female therapist. First of all, the Spa is not what I would consider an actual spa - especially in a hotel of this level. Located inside the fitness center, it seems more like an afterthought. There are two treatment rooms with a very small waiting area. The ladies locker room is directly off the waiting area, but the men's locker room is outside the door to the waiting area and down the hall, closer to the workout facility. The door to the waiting area is a clear glass door, so anyone with a room key can come and stare into the waiting room and see you sitting there in your robe waiting for your massage. Second of all, when I arrived I was greeted by a male therapist. I told him that I had specifically requested a female therapist and showed him my confirmation email. He stepped into the treatment room and called someone. He came back out and apologized for the mix-up and said a female therapist could be there in 10-15 minutes if I wanted to wait. I said I would wait but I felt I should receive some kind of compensation for the inconvenience. I was offered a 60 minute massage for the price of a 30 minute massage. My point, though, is that I shouldn't have had to ask for the compensation. And I feel that the concierge or whomever made the error should have contacted me to apologize for the mistake.

My second complaint, which I know is totally nit-picky: This is a Forbes Five Star/AAA Five Diamond property that brags about its luxury setting - including Frette linens and Molton Brown toiletries. So I was shocked when I went to blow my nose and found that the tissues provided by the hotel are cheap off-brand (Imperial) cardboard-like tissues like I would expect in a hospital. I am a Marriott Platinum Elite Rewards member and even the lowest-end Marriott properties provide Kleenex brand tissues.

The Hermitage is still the only place I will stay in Nashville and one of my favorite all-time hotels. Its a real treat to stay here. I just won't schedule any spa services and will bring my own Kleenex or Puffs in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AndieTravels
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Luxurious, beautiful and amazing. Service is superior. Enough said, except to let you know that when you step in the door, you are greeted by the most beautiful aroma of fresh flowers-will never forget the Hermitage.

Room Tip: Request a view of the Tennessee State Capitol building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RCWAlabama
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Excellent location for downtown Nashville visit. The Ryman Auditorium (winter home of the Opry) is just a few blocks away. Broadway with numerous bars all with live music is close.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Staff is very attentive, friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Really hospitable. Bellmen had excellent recommendations on places to eat, visit, directions - also available was a concierge. Valet parking was excellent - very quick to retrieve the auto - and very nice and helpful. The staff quickly made us feel like we owned the place but better - no lawn to cut, no dishes to wash - didn't even have to make our own bed!

We had a spacious corner room on a high floor looking out to the north - very quite room. Nice sitting area. Bath had walk in shower and a soaking tub - first class. View of the state capitol and hills beyond was nice.

Restaurant and bar are relatively expensive - but very classy without being stuffy - again great ambiance and hospitality.

You can find somewhat less expensive places to stay in the area. We paid $269/night plus tax through Amex travel. This included full breakfast for two each day plus an additional $100 credit (one credit per trip) for food and drink at the restaurant or bar. So if you get this deal, it could be less out of pocket than the less expensive places - a very good deal. Valet parking was $27/day. Room prices on hotel website are more.

Well worth the cost for a special trip.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Union Street (north) have view of the capitol and legislative plaza.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple