“Do not pass go - stay here. Luxury and service in a historic hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hermitage Hotel

Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Boston, Massachusetts
“Do not pass go - stay here. Luxury and service in a historic hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

I travel a bit for business and I'd throw the Hermitage in there with the Mansion at Turtle Creek - tops on my list of places I have been. In fact, the Hermitage probably comes out on top because I think their rooms are just a bit better, but the Mansion wins for service - although they both are outstanding.

What I liked:
Service, service, service.
Historic, beautiful building
Updated rooms that don't give away the character of the hotel
High quality linens and bed
In house dining (Capital Grille or the bar)

What I didn't like:
The parking fee was a bit excessive (valet only).

So what about the service is so special? I arrived late one evening - around ten at night - and I needed dinner and a beer. The Capital Grille was closed so I went down the to bar straight from check in - bag and all. I grabbed a beer and ordered dinner, striking up a conversation with the bartender and some of the wait staff. One waitress walked up and asked, "Was the bellman around when you checked in?"
"Yeah, but I wanted to get down here to order some dinner - so I just brought the bag with me."
"Would you like us to take care of this for you?"
"I can handle it - I travel light."
"I'm sure you can, but you're our guest - let us take care of this while you have your dinner. OK?"
And with that, I agreed and a bellman arrived quickly thereafter to take my bag upstairs.

Another quick note - I recently returned to the Hermitage and I was happy to see that they not only remembered I had stayed there, but they upgraded me as well.

Bottom line: When in Nashville - there isn't a better place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Beverly Hills
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

I will agree with all the other's in stating that this hotel has a grand old feel. I went for a friends wedding and the hotel was a nice surprise. It was charming and the rates at about $200 were reasonable for the room type and quality. I had a view of the capital.

Every part of the room and hotel were plush. It was fun seeing all the old southern women (in hats and wearing white gloves yet!) enjoying afternoon teas in the lobby.

I'm not a big fan of Nashville but I do like this hotel. If you are in town then this is the only place worth staying at!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
St. Chjarles, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

The Hermitage is the best hotel in Nashville and in the same class with some of the finest hotels in the country, including The Peninsula and Four Season and Ritz Carlton properties. This hotel has something different though - it's unique charm. The staff was most friendly and go out of their way to be helpful... If you are in Nashville, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

On October 30, 2009, my wife and I celebrated our 16th anniversary and decided to spend it by attending the Little House on the Prairie Musical that night and staying at your hotel. We have three children and this is the first opportunity we have been able to go out alone in over two years. I made my reservation at The Hermitage Hotel based upon its location to TPAC and the fact that I had heard good things about the hotel. When I made my reservation, I spoke to Brandy who convinced me that moving up to a Junior Suite with a Capital View with the romance package was the way to go. She was indeed very helpful in making this decision and I thank her so much for steering me to the right choice.

When we arrived, I was told that we had been upgraded to the Executive Suite and that our room was not yet ready. I had no clue what the Executive Suite was at the time but it at least sounded good. While we both waited for the room to be ready, we enjoyed an afternoon English-style tea and scones in the lobby area. It was rainy and a bit nippy outside so tea by the marble fireplace was a nice way to start our stay. After our keys were brought to us, we spent another 20 minutes or so enjoying our tea and scones then went up to our room.

The first response my wife had when she entered the room was “Oh my God! What have you done?” I had to quickly explain that this was not the original room I had reserved and that it was an upgrade. The view of the Capitol was amazing and the design and attention to detail in the Executive Suite was extraordinary. I can honestly say I have never stayed in a nicer room or felt as close to royalty as did in that suite. Whoever made the decision to upgrade us, thank you! I cannot express how much we appreciate this gesture of kindness and how much it means to us.

We had a great pre-theatre dinner at 6 P.M. at the Capitol Grille with rose petals waiting on our table. As we were leaving to head to our 8 P.M. show, there was a cold miserable rain failing outside. As we stepped out of the hotel, I told my wife I needed to run up and get an umbrella in the room. No sooner than I had said that did the bellman produce an umbrella for us to take to the show. Small things like this make a huge difference in the quality of a person’s stay at a hotel.

We had chocolates and champagne waiting for us when we returned at 10:30 P.M. This capped off a perfect day. Not even the bad weather could change that fact. The next morning, we had breakfast at the Capitol Grille and wondered how long we could stay at this hotel before they kicked us out of our room? But, finally, we had to leave this oasis and head back to evening Halloween activities with our children. My wife's final comment to me as we left was “How are you going top this next year?” I told her that I had no idea how I was going to top this anniversary.

I can really see why The Hermitage Hotel is a five star hotel and has been in Nashville for 100 years. If everyone that stays at The Hermitage Hotel gets the same attention and care that we received, you are likely to be around for at least 100 more.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rocketman2009
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2009

We stayed at The Hermitage in October for 4 days for a conference (with 60 attendees). I reviewed the conference attendees survey's and they were very complimentary of our choice of The Hermitage as the conference hotel. The hotel is beautiful with lots of character. The rooms were very spacious and the services was very good as well. I would recommend this hotel and will stay there for future visits to Nashville as well.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2009

I stayed at The Hermitage for a business conference and wish I could have stayed longer than the business trip allowed. Such a lovely hotel from the rooms and decor to the food and location. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

The staff and accomodations at The Hermitage Hotel made proposing to my fiance a memory that I/we will never forget.

On 10-23-2009, I had a smaller suite reserved for my soon to be fiance and I and upon arriving at The Hermitage I was more than pleasantly surprised to find out that they had upgraded us to the Presidential Suite for the same rate as the smaller suite. The staff really aided in making the experience perfect along with the absolute beauty of the Hotel and the suite. I can never thank everyone there enough for making this once in a lifetime experience so absolutely perfect!

If you are considering a stay at The Hermitage Hotel, I HIGHLY recommend it. You will be more than surprised with everything there.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple