“The glorious past repackage for today”
Review of Hermitage Hotel

Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“The glorious past repackage for today”
Reviewed 16 June 2006

My one-night stay at the Hermitage Hotel was a wonderful experience. While I question the 5-star rating, it's terrific reputation is well-justified. The renovated living rooms and bathrooms were clean and spacious, and my wife and I enjoyed the little touches - the full turn-down service; the choice of daily newspapers; the attentiveness of the staff, including the valet service (believe it or not). The opulent lobby is breathtaking, and the fitness area, which looks out onto the State Capitol, includes a fully-furnished locker-room, shower, vanity, and food/water bar. Go exploring and you'll find the room where Minnesota Fats used to play pool with guests and the restored lime-green, art-deco men's bathroom outside the Capital Grille. The check-in receptionist was not up-to-par, parts of the hotel need more upgrading, and the per-night room rates are overpriced. However, in lieu of the hustle and bustle of other Nashville hotels, a stay at the Hermitage is a reward unto itself.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank enm007
, Hotel Manager at Hermitage Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2006
Thank you for the comments along with the wonderful photographs. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Reviewed 15 June 2006

My girlfriends and I decided to have a weekend away in Nashville. (My sister lives there and she joined us). Anyway, we had heard about this hotel from other friends and my sister and decided to give it a try. We fell in love from the moment that we arrived.

We were greated by the nicest bellmen who treated us like royalty from the moment we arrived until we left on Sunday.

We had a drink in the Oak Bar before we went to dinner in the Capitol Grille which was a great way to start our evening.

Our dinner was great and the manager suggested some great wines to pair with our courses. We liked our dinner so much we made reservations to go back the next night.

The beds, oh my goodness, the beds. These are better than any of the Heavenly Beds I have stayed in before. They have super soft sheets and you just sink right in.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a beautiful hotel in downtown Nashville.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. George Island, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2006

We stayed here for the CMA Music Festival (formerly Fan Fair). The location was great for walking to everything. The front desk was great; and maid service was great. One concierge was extremely helpful. Another one was practically worthless...advised us to get a business card from the cab we went to an event in so we could call him for the return trip. Unfortunately, the cabbie was off-duty by then. Another time, when he said he would arrange for a cab to pick us up at an off-site location, the cab never showed. One wake-up call came 30 minutes late. Our room service breakfast, pre-ordered the night before arrived late. These may be minor things, but when you're on a schedule, and paying these prices, you expect the minor things to be done correctly.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank cmdrkranil
Reviewed 11 June 2006

While The Hermitage was, at one time, worthy of Five Star Status it appears there has been a discernable decline in quality of accomodations, housekeeping, and service.

When visiting, recently, we found mold and mildew growing on the floor of the shower in one room and mold and mildew growing in the soap container of another room. We also found stains on the carpet and torn carpet.

The "day staff" appears to be knowledgable and customer-centered. However, after 10:00PM the property appears to be staffed by teenagers who have little understanding of Five Star Service.

The much-advertised "Capital Grille" serves food of acceptable quality but the carpet flooring of the restaurant is severely stained and worn.

The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are appointed with antique furniture and a comfortable bed. However, the overall impression is the owners of the property are not re-investing into the property.

The Hermitage in it's present state of declining accomodations and service is NOT worth a $249.00 to $299.00 per night room rate. You'll find better service and cleaner accomodations at the Hilton Downtown or the Opryland Hotel's upgraded/renovated rooms (where we ended up finishing our vacation).

I consider the apparent decline of the once-grand Hermitage Hotel a tragedy.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2006

Several weekends ago I took my three daughters to the "Presiadential Suite" of the Hermitage Hotel to celebrate the upcoming wedding of my youngest daughter. We had a party for her in the Suite on Fri. evening. The food was removed following the party, but nothing else was cleaned up, including our rooms, for more that 24 hours. The Manager came to our room at about 11:00 P.M. with appologies and the promise of breakfast in the Grill the next morning. I was charged for it, but was refunded later. We had no amenities to speak of considering the amount of the room's cost. There was not even lotion in the baths. We stayed in similar suites before and always had fabulous service. I have contacted the Hotel and the only response was for the Catering office. We didn't even hear from the woman we worked with for the so-so food.

I have never complained before, but I am wondering how this Hotel has acquired its highservice rating!

My girls and I had a wonderful time together despite the lack of feeling like we were unimportant guests.

I hope I get a response to this review, in hopes of it correcting our "Disappointment!"

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2006

First time in Nashville and wanted to be downtown & close to the sights. We recently spent 4 days/3 nights at this hotel which was chosen just given the glorious reviews found on tripadvisor by former guests of this hotel. It was upscale, had well appointed spacious rooms and very comfortable beds but in the end seemed a little too expensive for what you get in return. Staff / customer service was not consistent. Our check-in had our receptionist multi-tasking ie. not completing our check-in while answering incoming calls, the concierge did not respond to calls on a couple of occasions or misdirected a call and although the rooms were spotless the service was not the same throughout our stay. We were expecting the little nice touches that we read about i.e. cookies by bedside and turndown service was missed 1 night all together with no music/lights on when we returned to our rooms any night but there were other nice touches such as bottled water upon exit of the hotel and choice of newspapers/excellent magazines in the room and yes the raves about the bathrooms with the marble, deep and quick filling tubs are all true. Overall, a nice stay but perhaps not a great value for the $249 USD per night booked online with a discount travel site as directly calling hotel turned out to be $299 USD. I would suggest doing your research as there are other likely equally decent hotels with a good location for less money.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Snowflake girl
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 May 2006

What can I say about the Hermitage Hotel that hasn't already been touched upon. I've just returned from a trip to Nashville and I can't praise the property or it's staff enough. The hotel is just beautiful and rooms are beautifully appointed. I loved the little touches at turndown which included some lovely biscuits and sweets to go along with the wonderful scent they sprayed on the bed linen. Such comfortable beds made getting up in the morning very difficult. The bathrooms are very spacious with 2 sinks and a seperate toilet and shower. We allI loved the Molten Brown products The staff at the hotel are so friendly. Everyone we came across had a smile for us and a few words to say and it all seemed very sincere. We found one of the bellmen who helped us with our luggage had lived in Ireland and we spent quite a while talking to him, a nice touch. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this poperty to anyone looking for a place to stay in Nashville, magnificent!

• Stayed May 2006