“Beautiful hotel, incredible restaurant”
Review of Hutton Hotel

Hutton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
SK
“Beautiful hotel, incredible restaurant”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We spent a night at Hutton Hotel on our way through town, and chose it because it was one of the first to pop up on the list of hotels that allowed pets.

It was nothing like what I expected,,, beautiful design in the lobby carried on up to the rooms, nice and roomy with well-trained and helpful staff.

We decided to try the in-house restaurant, 1808, for dinner, not expecting much more than standard hotel food. The room-service menu says a 22% gratuity would be added to the bill, so actually walking downstairs seemed like a better investment. We ended up having an incredible meal, and I described my steak as the best I had ever tasted... we ended up tipping about 22% anyway, but it was worth it,

The only hiccup in our visit came when it was time to pack up. Our cats had discovered that they could get into the space under the bed and hide, the perfect spot for cats who had had enough of being in the car. The only way to get them out was to dismantle the king-sized bed. The cats loved the space but it was't really my idea of "pet-owner friendly".

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Highland, Indiana
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I really loved this place! the whole hotel was really beautiful and modern. The lobby was really fun and modernly decorated. The room was fantastic with a great view of the Nashville skyline. I really loved the large glass shower with the translucent glass connecting the rest of the room. I loved that no part of the room looked ordinary, everything felt very original and custom everything from the huge 1 piece glass vanity in the bathroom to the HUGE heavy wooden doors in the room. I loved the overhead "rainfall" style showerhead, the entire bathroom is kind of an inspiration for my future bathroom remodel :)

My only complaint, which is not even a real complaint is that the talking elevator was kind of annoying. They should install mute buttons in them :).

We also ate dinner at the 1808 grill. Now I'm certainly not a fine food expert so take my opinion for what its worth but I felt that although the food was very good and the service was fantastic the portions were extremely small for the money. I wish we would have found some other nice restaurant in Nashville to have dinner at but 1808 grill was OK.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I had a good stay here. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The friendly staff was always eager and happy to help with requests. Despite bathrooms that are a little too small for my taste, overall the hotel and restaurant are great. Also, I always appreciate hotels that provide free wireless internet.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
denali1118
Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hutton Hotel in June and we were impressed with the attention we received from staff at the hotel-for the reasonable price we paid, the hotel went above and beyond our expectations. The restaurant in the hotel was excellent; we took advantage of the nightly wine reception; and the rooms were clean and comfortable, although a bit on the small side. The beds were comfortable, with nightly turn down service, and the showers were amazing. The hotel has a courtesy vehicle available to drive guests anywhere in a 3 mile radius, although it was difficult to take advantage of this service at busier times. It wasn’t an inconvenience though because the location of the hotel relative to downtown Nashville and other attractions is walkable and cab fares weren’t that expensive either. From the hotel, Vanderbilt University and the Parthenon are also within walking distance. Overall we were extremely satisfied with our stay and would definitely come back to Nashville and stay at the Hutton Hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I have to agree that the hotel looks great, but leaves much to be desired. You find out once you reach the desk that they hold your credit card for $100 for incidentals, whether you ask for the mini bar key or not. If you use a debit card it may take several business days to release that hold. The hotel is apparently green, so don't expect a hot tub or pool for relaxation. You much turn the lights on using one of your room keys. If you leave the key in the slot, housekeeping will take it and you won't be able to turn on your lights when you return. (The front desk denies housekeeping taking it so maybe the place is haunted). Parking in an excessive $20 per day and is connected by a ramp, so if you have disabled or elderly in your party, I recommend leaving them at the front door then driving around. The meeting and banquet rooms are located across that ramp as well, so its a long way for disabled or elderly persons to walk. and you have to use two different elevators. There was a convention in town and those hotel guests were allowed to smoke in front of the hotel and on the ramp adjoining the parking and banquet rooms. We had to walk through smoke each time we enetered or left the building. I recommend using the Comfort Suites or Embassy Suites and walking to any functions at the Hutton. I am preparing a letter to the general manager as well as I was very disappointed in this stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MsMimi08
San Antonio, Tx
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I agree with other reviewers who say that the Hutton tries to please. I stayed two nights and was pleased with the friendly service, especially the shuttle drivers who took me to the Frist museum. The shuttle is a helpful amenity for people who are not familiar with Nashville. The rainfall shower was delightful and the bed was quite comfortable. My room was very clean and I appreciated the nice toiletries. I also applaud the effort to save power by using the door key to automatically turn off the lights when one leaves the room. The lobby is not the typical hotel lobby starting with the comfortable chairs guests use to check in. I like checking out interesting hotels when I travel and I was not disappointed with the Hutton.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 29 June 2010

After seeing the Hutton Hotel named one of the 10 hottest hotels in Conde Naste and watching the positive review on The Today Show, I booked 4 rooms (6 guests) for 3 nights at the Hutton. I was traveling with friends and we agreed the Hutton looked like what we wanted. I went on line to several sites to see the best rate and then called the hotel directly. They matched the best price I could find and were very helpful on the phone. We arrived shortly after the CMA festivites and our rooms were ready, but the person at the desk forgot to give us some useful information. They offer free wine in the lobby from 5:00 to 6:00 and we did not know about it til our last night!! They also have a on call shuttle service which worked great for us, once we found out about it. The first night we ate at the 1880 Grille in the hotel and 3 of us ordered the flish "special' which was terrible. It was lukewarm and not "crispy" as described. The top piece of fish was edible but the one underneath cold and "soggy". Those 3 dinners had to be sent back. We complained to our waitress and the hostess immediately came over to see what she could do. We each got a complementary dessert. Which was very nice, but our first dinner in Nashville was ruined. Upon returning to our rooms we did not get the turn down service and was told we have to "request it". Another piece of info the desk clerk forgot to tell us on check in. So some of us did not have bottled water, the mini bar was not replenished, and upon checkout we were charged for items not used. These charges were later removed. There is also COLD bottled water available in the spa. Again we had to get this info from the maid. The next day went well til we returned to the hotel to find one of our rooms would not open with the key card and the maid would not open it because there was a different name on the room reservation. When management sent up a new key we opened the door to find an unwanted BABY CRIB all set up. Another management mix up! We also discovered that the same women was not getting any messages from her husband because he was told she was not registered at the hotel. He was worried all day and asked her where she was. An awkward moment for sure.
Now for some of the positves. It is a beautiful meticulously maintained hotel. Well appointed, very clean, and super comfortable. The shower is wonderful (no tub). The expresso machines on each floor is a plus, as is the free wine each evening, complementary bottled water, the super comfortable slippers and robe, and the on call shuttle. The toiletries provide were top notch. The unlimited in and out valet is $24.00 day which was not bad. THE BEST THING was the concierge, Armani. He was great at helping us plan our day, providing maps and greeting us with a smile each day. He checked with us to make sure all was well and gave us the information that should have been shared with us on check in. He recommended Noshville and Pancake Pantry for breakfast....both EXCELLENT choices. Make sure you ask for ARMANI and tell him the girls from Detroit gave him lots of kudos. I gave the Hotel 4 stars in spite of our problems because everyone was so very kind. The manager, Michelle, removed our parking fees because of the difficulties we encountered. My advice to travelers: give The Hutton a try.
My advice to the Hutton: work on communication at the front desk and give Armani a raise!! Oh by the way on check out one of our group members was presented with a $1,500.00 bill. Again it was straightened out ...but shouldn't happen.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends