“If you need something cheap”

Alexis Inn & Suites Nashville Airport Opryland
Ranked #74 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
“If you need something cheap”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Rooms were big but a bit dirty and there was no room service at all. They lost my online registration but I get a room a the end. Location is good, close to Nashville airport. Bathroom was small but ok, ac worked, tv was working. Breakfast might be good but I didn't see it as it was already eaten by approx 50 seniors running around. Ok, it's complimentary but anyway - my breakfast was a banana - better than nothing

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Kaltschmitt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Having stayed at the Alexis previously in 2008, we thought this would make a good location for a second trip to Nashville. We were given a room on the third floor that had a small kitchen area and was quite a spacious. However the air conditioning unit had leaked and the carpet was soaked through for a couple of feet in front of it. We were immediately were given a new room on the ground floor by the charming young lady on reception. However this room was much smaller ~ that I could didn't mind too much, but it was so stuffed with furniture that it was almost impossible to move around freely. After putting some things under the desk we were then able to get around. Having said this the rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the breakfast very satisfactory. The free internet computers in the small office which were available to the guests, is an added bonus for those of us without our laptops. Generally quite a good choice for 2 older people on a tour from England.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Pros: location, breakfast, price
Cons: small rooms, INTERNET!!

I don't get all the rave reviews for this place. It was affordable compared to many other hotels, so that's a plus (especially if you go on their website and click on specials & promotions--cheaper than any price I found on other travel sites). The room was pretty clean except for a hair on the pillow and a hair or two in the shower. I get that it's probably hard to avoid a stray hair here and there as a housekeeper, but it's still... icky.

The rooms were oddly small, though. Short, for lack of a better word. Normally when you get a king room, there's considerable extra space, but this room seems almost stubby. Like it barely fit the desk and chair.

The breakfast was better than your average continental. They had egg patties, basically, instead of your usual tray of scrambled eggs, which felt very manufactured to me, but they were really good about having enough food. They even restocked the biscuits & gravy up until about 10 minutes before breakfast was ending since they'd run out. Most hotels don't keep an eye on their food like that.

My biggest issue, by far, though, was the internet at this place. Because of a horribly late flight, I checked in after midnight and wanted to plan out what I was going to do around Nashville the next day. I tried and tried to get online. I turned my wifi off and back on, I checked my security settings, I rebooted the computer, nothing worked. The front desk referred me to the tech support phone number on display in the hotel room (perhaps a sign that this happens frequently?). I was on tech support for probably 45 minutes trying all sorts of things. The technician ultimately couldn't get me online no matter what we tried. So he put in a service ticket to a level 2 tech. He didn't know how long it would take but suspected it wouldn't be too long because it'd been a slow night. He said the tech would call the front desk and leave a message when they had done what they needed to do to get me online.

I woke up the next morning and still couldn't get online. Not to mention I was exhausted from having stayed up for an extra hour or two the night before, trying to get online. I called the front desk. No message from tech support. I used my phone to do my web searching about Nashville, which took much longer than it would've, had I been on my laptop. Then I called tech support again, and they said the level 2 technician couldn't complete the procedure the original tech thought would work, and that the problem was with MY computer. ...Except that I've used my laptop with plenty of hotel internet services and at coffee shops, etc, and I've NEVER had that kind of problem. On top of that unhelpful conclusion, I didn't appreciate that they didn't leave a message with the front desk with that information like they said they would. I had to call them back to find that out. Lots of waiting. While I appreciate that they had a 24-hour support line, I've never seen that at a hotel before, just like I've never had a problem getting online like that at a hotel before. So perhaps instead of having 'round-the clock tech support, they should switch their provider or service to something that actually works. Eventually, I was able to get online--sporadically--but it was painfully slow, and it would drop out all the time. When you're trying to quickly find information on a new city as a tourist, it really sucks to end up spending all this time at the hotel trying to get online to the info.

The location of the place is good, though. As others have mentioned, it's not far from the airport, downtown, and Opryland. The nighttime front desk clerk was very friendly when I checked in around 1am or so. But I find it weird that they lock the front door of the hotel, which you can unlock with your room key, but they don't have a doorbell (at least none that I could find). Because the clerk wasn't at the desk at the moment I arrived, I knocked on the door several times to try to get someone's attention, but it's glass, so it's not like it makes a lot of noise, and you can't give it a real bang. I don't think I've ever been to a hotel that locked its front door but didn't provide a bell.

All in all, this hotel is fine. It's not great, but it's not bad. Except the internet. The internet sucks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank roadgal12
midwest
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I booked this hotel because of the tripadvisor reviews. I was more than happy to spend less than $60 per night and get a good hotel room. I was not disappointed. It reminded me of a Hampton Inn. The beds were clean. Room was spacious. Refrigerator in the rooms. Free hot breakfast- eggs, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy and waffles. The also provided cold cereal, instant oatmeal packets, muffins, breads and bagels. It was only 10 to 15 minutes from the Grand Ole Opry. We stayed there 3 nights and were very pleased with the comfort and service of the hotel. If you do stay there, just know the ice machine is in the lobby outside the business center. I am accustomed to ice machines on every floor of a hotel but it wasn't an issue for me. Just an FYI if you are roaming your floor looking for the ice machine. It is close to the airport so you will hear the occasional airplane but nothing to complain about.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank travelb4Iretire
MN
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We were so pleasantly surprised. We had a huge room (with kitchen area), and two nice big beds. We had room to spread out. The place was clean. The breakfast area was clean and refreshed constantly. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We REALLY were happy with our stay here and will be back. (I booked on the internet and got a great rate!)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kris B
Dyersburg, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Cant beat the price for what you get! I have stayed at the Alexis Inn at least four times. The hotel is very clean and they serve a great breakfast, that's all free.Close to the airport,Opryland and not that far from downtown, and no paying for parking here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris c
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I had never heard of this hotel before, but it had good reviews and was only $67 a night. We stayed there for 2 nights during a Labor Day weekend. The bedding was very outdated, but the bed was very comfortable and a huge king size as well. The room was very clean and neat and it stayed that way throughout our stay. The hotel staff was friendly and polite. Another reason we chose this hotel was because it had a continental breakfast. The breakfast was great!! They had sausage, eggs, biscuits, gravy, waffles, cereal, muffins/bagels/breads, etc. Usually hotels have frozen breakfast sandwiches, but they had actual hot, ready-to-eat food. Coffee was good and they had several types of juice as well. The hotel was located within 10 minutes of downtown Nashville, which was very convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple