“A Great Value!”

Ranked #73 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Cullman, AL
“A Great Value!”
Reviewed 18 December 2008

The hotel is a great value. We stayed in a King room. The bed was very comfy and the room was large. The sink located in front of the door was odd, however I got used to it. Our room was very clean and the furnishings were new. The carpet appeared to be recently installed and the bed linens were of good quality. The elevator was the only thing that appeared dated at the hotel, the tiles looked old and dirty.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We arrived before check in and had scheduled a tour. I ask if it would be ok to leave the car until check in, and it was not a problem at all. She even offered to let us check in early if the room was ready, but we didn't have time before the tour to take our things to the room. The maid serviced our room daily. We never had a problem with the hotel supplies being ample.

The breakfast bar is a nice. It is better than getting up and going out to eat. The food was ok, not great. Since it is included in the price of the room it can't be beat. The staff continue to restock the breakfast bar and everything was fresh. The breakfast included eggs, sausage, bisuits, gravy, cereal, muffins, bread, juice, milk , coffee, oatmeal and a waffle maker. The only thing is the layout of the bar can cause it to become a little crowded at times. We were glad to save the money on dining out and enjoy our breakfast before getting ready to go out for our day.

The location is great. Only about 5 minutes to Opry and 10 to downtown. The access the the highway is great and easy to commute around Nashville from the hotel.

I was able to book thru Travelocity and recieved a cheaper rate than booking thru the hotel. It is a wonderful value for the money. We had no problems at all and will stay at the Alexis again when we return to Nashville.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
jackson, ms
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Best price I could find in the Nashville area, and the accommodations were better than I expected. Checkin clerk was friendly. Room was very clean. Easy access to highway, so you can get anywhere in Nashville conveniently.
No problems with this hotel. If you are looking for good place to stay at a great price, then I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation.

• Liked — Price! and it was better than I expected
  • Disliked — parking was limited.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Tennessee
Reviewed 10 November 2008

After staying across the street and haveing a terrible experience, we moved to Alexis after flying back into Nashville from our vacation. it was great. The staff was above and beyond, both on the phone and in person. the rates are great. the rooms were even better. The only complaint would be that one of our two rooms was a suite and the sitting room was a little warm for comfort since the airconditioner unit was in the bedroom only. The Decor looked great, very comfortable and clean. Our next visit to Nashville will include a stay at Alexis.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — airconditioner in suite
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 10 November 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at the Alexis Inn. I went to Nashville for the Americana Folk Festival and I needed a hotel near the airport with easy access to I40. I got a very good price and I was VERY happy with this hotel. Large very clean room, quiet and a great staff. I needed lots of directions and the front desk couldn't have been nicer. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
And I will definitely choose it again the next time I'm in Nashville.

• Liked — Large room, clean, great price, location and no smoking!!!!!!!!.
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada - USA
Reviewed 31 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Alexis Inn and Suites for a total of five days (three days first then went to Memphis for two days returning to the Alexis for two more nights). At the time of my writing, the Alexis Inn and Suites is Hotel #13 out of 138 Nashville Hotels on Trip Advisor’s rating list.

Listed below is my very detailed review. But in summary, I feel the hotel is excellent because of its extremely reasonable with good amenities. You would probably pay more at Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn and not get the amenities you get here. I do not feel most business travelers will be happy here, nor anyone seeking upscale/luxury accommodations – the hotel is for those willing to sacrifice a little for a good price and yet get more than you normally would. I would stay at this hotel again in the future.

LOCATION: The hotel is very close to the airport and right off the Freeway. We used our Tom Tom GPS and came right to the hotel. I had also printed a Map Quest map but didn’t use it. Front Desk staff advised that the Map Quest directions to the hotel are incorrect (may want to use Google Maps or Rand McNally websites).

The hotel is close to the Airport and Gaylord Opryland. One definitely needs a car when staying at this hotel, as there aren’t attractions within walking distance. Though we were close to the airport, we heard minimal airplane exhaust noise. Business travelers may wish to stay in downtown Nashville for more upscale accommodations and to have some attractions within walking distance (including convention center, etc).

We were also in town to attend a Tennessee Titans game at LP Field. We at first had reservations at the Hampton Inn within walking distance (long walk) of the stadium for $200 per night but felt our money would be better spent on other items. Being at the Alexis, we were only 10 minutes away from the stadium and found getting to the downtown area easy. However, parking for special events is horrible. We ended up parking downtown (paid $15.00) and took the walking bridge across the river. If we go to a game in the future, we will stay at the Ramada Limited on Interstate Drive, as this is truly the closest hotel to the stadium.

There is a Waffle House Restaurant across the street from the Alexis, and a Jack In The Box and Casa Fiesta Mexican Restaurant very close by. Further down on Elm Hill Pike and Donelson Pike (one mile away) is a Backyard Burgers, Ruby Tuesdays, Pizza Hut, Shoney’s, Taco Bell, K-Mart, Sonic, Bar-B-Cutie, and another Waffle House. The lobby has many menus of nearby restaurants that will deliver.

ROOM ITSELF: We stayed at this hotel twice within a one week period (experiencing two different rooms). Listed below are our experiences in both:

Room #119 (Saturday – Tuesday): The room is the one of the smallest rooms I have ever reserved in a United States hotel (size is 15 x 11 = 165 square feet). However, there are a lot of nice amenities like a small refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, nice sized desk, iron and ironing board, and wing back chair and ottoman. The furniture is contemporary (light cherry wood). We travel frequently and have seen a lot of hotel furniture - it isn’t Henredon or Ethan Allen, but it is in very good condition and is comparable to furniture in hotels like a Marriott, Hampton Inn, etc.

At check in, we were offered an upgrade to a suite. First we were told the upgrade would be $15 per night. When we declined, the price went down to $10 per night. Since we had planned to be out of the room more than in, we felt a standard sized room was fine for us.

The sink and mirror is located in the room with the toilet and shower/ tub in a separate area with door (yes, this area is small). Some people may not like this arrangement, though it did not bother us. Sink area has a granite countertop. The shower head needed to be reconnected as when it was turned on, water would spray up to the ceiling which caused mold in the tiles. This matter was reported to management.

Internet access is free through www.leapnetworks.net. Since I have a newer computer, I did not need the username and password supplied to me by the front desk. Access was fast and easy.

The air conditioning unit is a wall unit with cool and heat options but no fan as they usually do. There was also a musty smell upon entering.

I got the room at an excellent price of $52.81 per night including tax for three nights through a discount special on Orbitz. Also, if you complete the comment card located on the desk, there is a coupon inside for $10.00 your next stay through the hotel’s website or by calling the main line. Our discounted rates were available only if we paid for the room in full through Orbitz (no refund available).

There are only 10 rooms per wing in our area, and other than hearing doors closing and some talking as people pass, I would not say this is noise out of the ordinary from anything experienced at other hotels.

SUITE #215 (Thursday – Saturday): When we returned, we were surprised to be assigned a suite this time even though we booked our first room the same time we booked this return stay. This time we paid an even lower price of $46.92 per night including tax through a discount special on Orbitz (and paid in full, no refund).

The room is immediately in front of the elevator. The door enters into a living room type area which includes a sofa sleeper, a coffee table, two chairs and a side table, a desk, a chest of drawers with refrigerator and television. There is also a ceiling fan in this main area. The dimensions of this room are 13 x 16 = 208 square feet.

Then between the living room area and the bedroom is a counter with bar sink that includes a small microwave and a few counters (dimensions are 6 x 6 = 36 square feet).

The bedroom area is the same size as the living room area (also 208 square feet) and is larger than Room #119 we got earlier this week. The bathroom is separate and includes the sink, toilet, and tub/shower (small area). There was mold under the soap dish. There is also a closet, chest of drawers, television, and luggage rack.

The air conditioner has more settings than Room #119 with fan, cool, and hot settings, whereas the other did not have fan settings. The view from the window is the tar papered breezeway for the hotel entrance.

We were able to very easily access the Internet without any code or any problems through Leap Networks. Unfortunately, the room was not as clean as Room #119. The sofa had a big spill mark on it and it was not cleaned. There was also a musty smell upon entering. This room did feel more used and dated than our previous room.

There are 24 rooms on this floor and because our room was exactly in front of the elevator, we could hear a lot of talking for people waiting for the elevator. The noise can be heard from the living room portion of the room and not from the bedroom portion.

HOTEL AMENITIES:

The hotel is kept in good condition for its age, though the elevator and upper floors definitely appear more worn. The deluxe continental breakfast includes biscuits, eggs, sausage, gravy with sausage, bagels, English muffins, thick sliced bread, assorted muffins, four types of dry cereal, milk, water, orange juice, apple juice or cranberry juice, a waffle making station, oatmeal packets (just add water), regular and decaf coffee, and hot water for tea. There is no onsite restaurant.

There is a small Business Center with computers next to the registration desk. Your hotel boarding pass or any other item will print at the front desk. There is also a small exercise room with one treadmill, one elliptical machine and one stair climber. The exercise room includes guest towels, filtered water, and a television in the room. It is basic but good for those that want to have a semblance of exercise in their routine. No swimming pool on property.

A soda vending machine and vending machine for chips, cookies, etc., were in the lobby along with an ice machine and several wheeled hotel luggage transporters.

There isn’t a laundry room in the hotel, but a Laundromat is located approximately one mile down the street by taking a Right onto Elm Hill Pike from the Citgo Gas Station then a Left onto Donelson Pike. The Laundromat is on the corner of this intersection.

What makes this hotel such a hit with travelers is the reasonable price. If you had to pay more for what you get, I don’t think it would be rated so high. Definitely a deal for families with a budget.

• Liked — Very Reasonable Price
  • Disliked — Standard Room is very small
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VegasBling
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 21 October 2008

This was my 2nd stay at the Alexis Inn and also my 2nd review of the hotel here on Trip Advisor. This stay was nowhere near as enjoyable as the first go around. Right from the start we had problems at check in. I don't know if the front desk woman was new or what was going on. When I gave my name she couldn't find my reservation I booked online 2 weeks prior. So finally she gets help and locates something. Then she says the stay is only for one night, then I have to remind her its for 4 nights. So finally after a delay she prints out the bill for me to sign and I notice it has a 5 day stay on it. I question her about it and she tells me it's ok and I ask will I be charged for the 5 nights and her response was "probably not". Then I ask can I get a more positive statement then that. (I'll get back to this at the end of the review)

The overall stay was just OK. I made the mistake of booking just a regular King Bed room...last time we booked a suite for $30 more but was more economical minded this time. As soon as I got in the room I asked if we could upgrade to a suite but apparently the entire hotel was booked for the whole weekend. The King Bed room was too cramped for my liking and the overall room layout was poor. As soon as you walk in the bed is right there, I'm not a big fan of sleeping so close to the door. The bathroom is very small, the sink was outside the bathroom right in front of the bed. There was fridge and small kitchenette area but it was back in the corner almost hidden in the room. The AC in the room had a knob busted off that controls how cold it was...so I had to end up making multiple trips turning the AC on and off as it got too cold and too hot. I can echo a previous reviewers displeasure about the musty smell. If we left the room for an extended period of time leaving the AC off and came back we were hit with the musty smell. Other than that the stay was ok. I couldnt believe in Nashville, the country music capital of the world that the TV had NO COUNTRY MUSIC CHANNELS! But for the sports fan it had 5 seperate ESPN channels which just seemed a bit odd. The room was clean and housekeeping did a good job with the room.

Getting back to the first paragraph about checking in. We checked out at 5am...I received my bill, glanced down at it and saw the correct total on there so didnt think anything of it. So when I got home 10 hours later I noticed they had me arriving a day early and had also charged my credit card for an extra night. So I called the hotel and the front desk clerk advised they had me in as a no show for night one so why the front desk person didnt tell me this was the problem at check in I'll never know. So I ended up speaking to Sherri which I believe was the general manager who couldn't of been any nicer...she pulled up my online reservation and immediately credited my card back for the extra night. Even with that being said I will probably think twice about staying here on my next trip to Nashville. If I do stay I won't waste my time with a King Room and will go for the suite.

• Liked — Low Cost
  • Disliked — Check In
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank banjo60
Tennessee
Reviewed 16 October 2008

This hotel is far below a Courtyard or Holiday Inn Express in quality. I travel for business purposes and was very disappointed with this hotel. The room was musty. There was daylight visible between the wall air conditioner and the wall. The bathroom had hair everywhere and the drains did not drain in the shower or sink. The cushions on the furniture were stained and the blanket on the bed had a fist sized cigarette burn. The carpet was stained and dirty.

The staff were helpful, but overall this is one of the dirtiest rooms I have experienced. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the dirt
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business