“Better Than I Expected” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Marietta, Georgia, United States
“Better Than I Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Let's start off with the obvious: Hotel Preston is NOT the Ritz, the Hutton, or The Gaylord Opryland. It is walking distance to nothing and is about 15 minutes by car from downtown. It is a mid-range airport area hotel.

Ok, got that in your mind?

Now, the surprise: It is clean, comfortable, and just a little bit funky. It is older (they need to repaper some walls), but obviously maintained. The staff are friendly and helpful. The internet is free unless you are a "group" visitor. The breakfast is not free :-(, but seemed priced similarly to that of a businessman's hotel--didn't eat on site so I can't attest to the quality (visit Nashville Biscuit House for a really good CHEAP breakfast instead). Wide variety of free options: rubber duckies, pet fish, lava lamps, pillow selections, every major religion's central text, et cetera. The TV channels are limited, same as with most businessman's hotels. The beds are very comfortable and the desk setup was very nice. The linens were very clean and soft. The bathroom was one of the cleanest I've ever seen in a hotel, across all star/diamond levels. Towels were plentiful and soft. Aveda products in the bathrooms! Coffee was decent for hotel coffee, but creamer wasn't provided. Free parking is plentiful and there is an airport shuttle. While you can see the runway from the hotel (my room on the 4th floor had a direct view), I did not hear a single plane, inside or out. Not much available at the exit, but Opry Mills is an exit or two down and has plenty of chains--or, head into NashVegas for A-mazing local options (free tip: check out one of the three Puckett's Grocery restaurants) and chains.

I had three problems that kept this from getting 5 stars. 1s: On our second night, the room key stopped working. This is a major problem, because you can't even take the elevator without it! 2nd: There was no fan in the bathroom (room 414). This is not good and needs to be fixed. 3rd: There are not enough available outlets for two guests needing to use a laptop, charge cellphones, et cetera. We managed, but we could have used at least 1 more open outlet.

If I visited Nashville again, I would stay here in a heartbeat. If they fix the problems I saw, I'd pay double what I paid ($60 a night via Name-Your-Price on Priceline). Provide a free breakfast and the hotel would have people lining up around the block just to get a room. I will recommend the Hotel Preston to friends and family.

A Little About Me: I am in my mid-20's and was traveling with my mother. It was a spur of the moment Spring Break getaway and we stayed 2 nights. We are from the Atlanta area. We usually stay in "budget" hotels on our travels (LaQuinta, Holiday Inn, Days Inn, et cetera), but have been known to stay at boutique or luxury hotels when we find a really good deal (The Loews Philadelphia, the Cornhusker in Lincoln, et cetera). My biggest issues with hotels are cleanliness, comfort, and price.

Room Tip: I found the 4th floor to be nice and quiet despite being able to see the runway from my room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BigChickenCityGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Indonesian first
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have no serious complaints about this hotel. If you are staying here and want to see the sights, you will need a car for a short drive. I thought it was a cool trendy boutique type hotel that offered a comfortable and clean bed and a very nice TV. Yes, the bathroom was on the small side, but I don't spend my stay in the bathroom. We were on the 4th floor and I didn't hear any noise with the exception of someone slamming their door once or twice. My husband went down to the breakfast buffet while I slept and he said the food was wonderful. The pool was still closed, but it looks like they were cleaning it and working on it. I forgot to take my "do not disturb" sign off and the only problem was trying to communicate with the housekeeping who speaks NO English. I had my daughter go down to the front desk to get towels, but not a big deal. I would definitely stay here again. The rate was only $55 via priceline.

Room Tip: My double room had full size bed. I hear they have double queens, but you have to ask!
1 Thank velvetnit
Taylors, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were in 2 adjoining rooms, on the ninth floor, for 3 nights. We were happy with most everything, the friendly service at check in, extra effort from manager for check in issue, very clean rooms and bathrooms. Plenty of towels, Clean cozy comforters. The bar downstairs had a good live band. The food at Cafe Isabella was very good. Dinner had large portions and decent prices. Breakfast buffet on Sunday had a good variety of yummy food. But 3 things stood out. 1st - that housekeeping came into our room when we were gone even though the sign was on the door declining housekeeping. Nothing was missing or even moved, but still, I didn't want them coming in that first morning. 2nd - the water pressure was inconsistant, even during the same shower. In our room the toilet didn't have enough pressure to fluch completely. 3rd - the beds. In one room, the mattresses were uncomfortable. The springs were shot so there was no support, so it was a stiff, sore morning. in the other room, the beds weren't as bad, but all 4 of them should have been replaced. 1 was a training issue, overlookable. 2 was mentionable, but not a deal breaker. 3 is the reason we won't be going back. I can't recommend staying at the Hotel Preston until those mattresses are replaced.

Spencer, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great Retro motif, Fantastic Customer Service, Convenient Nashville location.
We have stayed here a couple of times.
Definitely our favorite hotel in Nashville!

1 Thank MDBritton
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

For what it's worth, this hotel is definitely showing it's age. From the outside as you drive up, you see it looks old. And the rooms look older. Like they have a pillow menu. The things I didn't like? Well, you can get a room close to the elevator, or you can get one close to the highway. Both are noisy choices. That's all you got, the hotel's in a square shape. When I checked out, told the attendant I got very little sleep because of the noise was told, "There's nothing we can do about the noise." Ok, there may not be, but I can not stay there again, and I won't. The highway traffic was loud and all night long, with the occasional airplane taking off from the nearby airport. Also, there were kids roaming up and down the halls. The other thing that disgusted me was pubic hairs on the toilet from someone else, and one on the shower wall. Yep, that was absolutely disgusting to me.
Also, walls are very thin, and you will hear your neighbors, whether you like it or not. All in all, I'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us last week. I am sorry that your stay did not go well and for the housekeeping problems. We appreciate your feedback.

Monique
Facilities Manager
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Looks cool from the outside and in the lobby, even the elevator has red cow hide panels, however when you exit the elevator you are greeted by drab dimly lit corridors and the guestrooms are just as bad. Some of the furniture looks new, some old. It was affordable, close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Drapery Dude,

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We apprecitate your comments and hope you will come back and give us another try.

Monique
Facilities Manager
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

A one night stay arriving mid afternoon and leaving early am. Easy drive to downtown from the hotel (15 min max) and very convenient for the airport the next morning. And a gas station at the corner to fuel up the rental.
I booked this through the Air Canada website after making flight arrangements and thought the pricing was excellent.

Room Tip: Floor/room location didn't appear to be an issue although we were on the parking lot side which...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple