“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #70 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Bait and Switch”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Hotel looks great on web and very lacking in person. At arrival, we immediately noticed the property is "glum". Location is great, but the lobby is musty (just as the elevator and hallways). It's just overall run down. The check in desk looks NOTHING like the amazing website. It looks 20 years old scratched up. How does such a property obtain 3 stars? Its 1 star AT BEST. I immediately cancelled the stay and filed a complaint with AAA, where I booked. The hotel isn't bad or awful compared to 1*. It simply was advertised at 3-3.5*, and it isn't even close. I signed up for a 3*; therefore Hotel Preston is simply unacceptable at this price point.

I think it's funny that the hotel responds to everyone's criticism with "surprise". I've noticed that this INCREDIBLE "musty smell" is pervasive inside the property. MANY posts, over months, reflect that. But with each new post, the manger is "surprised." BTW, it's not a smoking smell... it's musty, as in damp, unclean, etc. Location should be 39.99/nte, rack. Even then, I'd choose "other" 39.99 locations. I hope the manager doesn't respond, just invest in a professional steam cleaner!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alphaentice1
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
I'm sorry you were unimpressed with our hotel. We like to think of ourselves as a quirky, unique escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world. From our authentic Nashville photography to our fun amenities (like pet fish and rubber duckies), we are proud to be a Nashville staple and stand behind our high star rating. That being said, we're always open to criticism— it's something we can learn from and make changes accordingly! This "smell" has popped up as a recent issue. It may be the excess humidity we've started to get this summer, but this is something I'm going to look into. We'd never want our guests to feel uncomfortable. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further or over the phone. I'm happy to continue the conversation.

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Indonesian first
Vinton
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We booked this on Priceline. It wasn't too expensive, that's why. So you get what you pay for. We were told since we booked on priceline, we got stuck with a smoking room, but the clerk said that no one had been in that room for a while so it should be ok. The elevator needs to be started with the room card, which is odd, but ok. The floor we were on REEKED of smoke. But luckily the room did not. The beds were very uncomfortable for me and my husband, too soft. The decor was great, pictures of Waylon and Willie. The bath was fine, no hairdryer, shampoo and conditioner is not good quality that I expected for a 3 star. The doors bang loud and did so several times during the night from other travelers. We did stay 2 nights here, but I wouldn't have choosen this one to stay at, this was the least comfortable and did not get restful sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thanks for making us aware of this. I'm sorry if your stay with us was less than ideal. While it's wonderful you enjoyed our unique decor and fun photography, it's a shame you were unimpressed with the rest. We're always looking to "wow" our guests, so I'd love to get a little more information from you. What made your bed so uncomfortable? The mattress, sheets, something else? We always want our guests to have the best night's sleep possible.

I'll look into our doors "banging"— we purposely have heavy doors to cancel out noise, but if they are causing noise, then that needs to change! I'm sorry you were unimpressed with our bathroom amenities, as well. I will speak with my staff about making more of these options readily available for our guests. Once again, I appreciate this feedback. I do hope you will give us another shot. I'm confidence we can impress you next time!

CROMWELL
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Stayed here in May 2013. I had read pretty good reviews about the hotel, but I was not that impressed. It was OK, but the outside of the building was old (40 years) and they tried their best to update it inside. It was very contemporary, which was kind of cool. But the noise from the hallways traveled right through the door (you might as well not had a door). The beds were not that comfortable and there were hardly any tv stations. Location was excellent - right off the highway and really close to the airport. I do have one good thing to say, their restaurant had EXCELLENT food!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thanks for your honesty. While it's never fun to read lukewarm reviews, we always welcome feedback. It lets us know what we're doing right and also what we can do better! We're so glad you enjoyed our restaurant and unique decor. We like to think of our place as a fun getaway from the hustle and bustle of the real world, and it sounds like we did our job! That being said, I'm sorry about the noise from the hallway. Did you let our staff know? I'm sure we would have taken care of that ASAP. What aspect of our bedding was uncomfortable? Mattress... sheets? Any more feedback you have is greatly appreciated. We'd never want you to have an uncomfortable stay. I'm sorry you thought our TV stations were lacking. What channels do you prefer?

Once again, we appreciate this review. I do hope you will come stay with us again next time you need a getaway!

Cheers,
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2013

At 25 years old, I put a lot of effort into finding hotels that have spunk and something interesting to look forward to any time I travel. I found Hotel Preston on Priceline.com and at a 3.5 star rating the price originally seemed pretty high. The pictures, however, showed a place that intrigued me. I booked two nights and was looking forward to my stay. When we arrived at the hotel and the Front Dest associate asked for my ID and bank card, I made sure to double check that the room was completely paid for, it was. This, however, did not stop an additional charge of over $200 goiong on to me bank card minutes later(thank goodness for online banking alerts!). She informed me that it was for any "incidentals" that might be used as well as my second night which apparently was not originally charged to my card. The second night was supposed to be for $109 and they ended up charging me $128(plus "incidentals"). It has only been two days so I am hoping to see my money back on my card soon. Especially because I cancelled my second night stay because of a few things. First off, when going into the elevator I noticed liquid all over the floor. The elevator smelled absolutely horrible and it took a second to realize that it was pee on the elevator floor. Luckily there are two elevators. The rooms were by no means impressive. For a "boutique" hotel, you'd think they could have a mini fridge or microwave in each of their rooms at an "on sale" price of $109 per night! No, they did not. At first look, there wasn't even a hairdryer to be found(it is in the closet of the hotel which had broken doors, not the bathroom). The sheets and bedding were mediocre at best. Granted there were no bed bugs from what I gather(a big whopping star for that). The pictures did far more than give the place justice, they actually made it look awesome. The elevator walls are furry and red, and while that would normally be pretty cool and funky, they were dirty and disgusting. The furniture in the rooms look like they could be from Wal-Mart and also needs a good cleaning. Along with the headboards. The sheets looked clean but didn't smell fresh like they did at the second hotel I went to in place of my send night at the Hotel Preston (the second hotel was actually the Wingate by Wyndham. A GREAT hotel for only $80 bucks per night for 2 full beds vs the $109 "sale price" at the Hotel Preston for one king bed.... Not to mention the sheets snmelled freshly washed at Wingate, there was a mini fride, a microwave, complimentary breakfast, personable staff and a hairdryer right in the bathroom...) Anyway, if you're looking for a great stay at a reasonable cost with all of the amenities, don't book the Hotel Preston...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenn A
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Jenn,
I'm so sorry that you had such a negative experience with us. I want to apologize if there was any miscommunication regarding your charges for incidentals. I will speak with my staff about being more vocal about this— I appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry if the elevator was dirty, as well. We are pet-friendly and with animals, comes the inevitable messes. We should have cleaned that up ASAP, so your frustration is very understandable! We do have extra amenities, like mini-fridges available upon request. I'm sorry if that wasn't communicated to you.

It's such a shame that you thought our hotel didn't live up to its online reputation. We're always looking to "wow" our guests, so I'm confident we can make this up to you. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further.

Benton, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This was my first (and likely last) stay at Hotel Preston. Based on their website, location, and other user reviews, I had pretty high expectations. In summary, these expectations were not met, and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Positives - The staff working the night of 5/22/13 were very friendly, and the lobby was nicely decorated and very inviting. Also, you can't beat the location. We had a 7:30 AM flight the morning after our stay and were only about a 5 minute drive from the airport.

Negatives - I'm not sure if the hotel is in a bad part of town or not, but it sure felt unsafe. There were several groups of sketchy looking teenagers and adults loitering in the hotel lobby and in the parking lot. The hallways of the guests' floors smell TERRIBLE. If the elevator stops on a smoking floor, the smell hits you like a ton of bricks when the door opens. Also, the fitness center smells extremely musty as well. I was planning on working out but could barely even breathe in there. The floors and bathroom ceiling tiles of our room were extremely dirty. We were not offered a fish or lava lamp upon check-in (which is apparently a big deal?) - we were traveling with a child who was present at check-in, so I'm sure she would have really enjoyed it. Also, the walls are paper-thin so you can hear EVERYTHING. We were woken up after midnight by our neighbors' extremely loud sex session which pretty much sums up our experience.

1 Thank smf8160
Thanks for making us aware of your underwhelming experience. While I'm glad you enjoyed our friendly staff, unique decor and convenient location, I'm sorry you were disappointed with the rest. I'll take note of your concern about the questionable people in our hotel lobby. Are you sure they weren't staying at the hotel? We don't condone loitering—specifically for the safety of our guests.

Your comment about a "musky" smell raises a red flag. We'd never want our guests to feel sick or uncomfortable! We also take cleanliness very seriously, so your bathroom should have been thoroughly scrubbed— that is completely on us and I am sorry. I will look into that for you. Did you ask our front desk about the goldfish? That should have been brought up as you checked in, so I will speak with my staff about being more vocal about this unique offering.

I want to apologize if you thought your walls were too thin. Do you remember which room you stayed in? You definitely should not have to hear your neighbors, and I'm sorry if that caused any unpleasantness. Did you let our staff know about this? We would have been happy to look into it and have you switch rooms if necessary. Once again I appreciate this honest review. Please let me know if you would like to continue this discussion.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We booked this hotel to attend a graduation this weekend. I wanted the family to stay at the same hotel and prices around Nashville were higher due to "Graduation" weekend. We picked this hotel due to it's proximity to everything. When you walk in the lobby you think that you are in a nice boutique style hotel......it's a little dark but if you look around you will see that this hotel is not maintained at a high state of cleanliness. Then you get your key and off you go....When you get off of the elevator your hit with this smell?? and this dark and dingy hallway! You go into the room and it's been sprayed to smell good for a few hours. The carpet is really dingy.....They need to be cleaned ASAP but then you go in the restroom and the ceiling tiles are dirty, stained and unkept! It that's not enough, one of the two nights we were there, someone pulls the fire alarm because they got hammered! That took 3 hours to correct so the fire alarm "strobe light" in the room was flashing at 3:00 am for 3 hours. When you call the front desk they don't even answer the phone!!!! What in the world is up with this hotel! If you own this hotel, you need to do a major renovation........The one good thing - because I believe in finding a positive was the wait staff in the downstairs café. I felt that the buffet was a good idea for that weekend and they did a great job of ensuring that coffee cups were full.

2 Thank klhawkz
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate all kinds of feedback— both positive and negative— because it lets us know what we're doing right and also what we can do better. It's a shame your stay with us was disappointing. From our authentic decor and photography to our unique offerings (like pet fish and rubber duckies), we like to think of ourselves as a fun escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world.

That being said, if your room wasn't cleaned well enough, then that's something we absolutely need to look into. I apologize if there were dirty ceiling tiles and if something smelled a bit "off". We take cleanliness very seriously, so this raises a big red flag for me. I'm so sorry about the fire alarm issue, as well. Hey, I'd be frustrated, too! I will speak with my staff about a more efficient way to respond in this scenario. I'm surprised to hear that the front desk wasn't answering when you called— do you remember what time of day this was? Someone should be available for you at all times, so that one's completely on us.

Despite these issues, I'm so glad you thought our cafe staff was courteous and enjoyed our buffet. I really appreciate this feedback and look forward to continuing this conversation with you. We promise to put our best foot forward next time!

Austell, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Quick Summary: the hotel upkeep is a failure for 3*. If you just need a place to stay; it's "fine" (I guess). If you want a "nice to average" stay, choose elsewhere. HP can be great, but today, it isn't. $100 is TOO much, for $20 more, you can get 2-3x the experience. For $30 LESS, you can get BETTER... sigh. Stay is "OK"; just don't expect a lot as advertised. I'm disappointed because I feel grossly misled by professional reviews and hotel website.

Now details:
I wish I had read more reviews before booking. I decided to book because of certain "other" sites' awesome reviews. I KNEW something was wrong when I saw the HUGE color contrast in actual user photos vs. the company website. I should NEVER have not booked.
Especially non refundable, I never do this --- for the reason I just experienced. It took 30 minutes for my fiancee to convince me not to dispute the charges with the credit card company and just book another hotel from my cell phone.

I cant figure how to grade these guys. They have GREAT potential, but NONE of it is being used. NOT a 3 star hotel. It may have the features, but overall feels like 1 star. thats unfair to budget chains, because I LOVE red roof and many of them deserve a better rating and more stars than Hotel Preston. It isn't a fair system because if they don't have a pool or restaurant, they can be BRAND NEW and spotless but not get the 3 stars HP has - and doesn't deserve.

I stay in 20+ hotels yearly. Most are average. I have only once left a hotel, it was a no name and had not been cleaned. The night staff gentleman was FANTASTIC, He should apply at a 4*.

Concerns: Poor check in service, I wasn't told about the "cool" fish, lava lamps, etc. I wasn't asked at all for my credit card, but was charged fees. Although typical, and I was prepared for that, who doesn't verify a credit card (maybe I wanted to use a different one) or at least TELL ME that you are charging it and how much? The hotel website has SUPER enhanced pictures that could NEVER have been actual photos. Again this is normal in marketing, but their pictures DISTORT so much I believe it's misleading and deceptive. The hotel has a pervasive musty smell, and also has smoking floors. The indoor humidity was abnormal. We slept with the air on 65, freezing to control the smells and humidity. The furnishings remind me of garage sale finds. LOL, fiancee pointed out they didn't even match. Mahognany colored desk and birch nightstand (no big deal, just laughable).

My dresser looked worse than college furniture I found curbside for free. Upholstery everywhere was stained, BEYOND used, or ripped. The walls/doors were painted, and chipped badly. The elevator is run down and sluggish, check out the pic of brown slime you can see in the shaft when the doors open. The lobby mirrors were stained with brown rust looking something. NO, its NOT stained glass, lol.

The bedding was nice, but ripped. The duvet and free robe had a yellow grease stains, I hope thats what it was. The pillows were ok, but more flat than I've experienced since the 80s. The throw pillows were greasy and disgusting. We striped the beds, and order 4 sheets to use as blankets. The INCH under the door was unsettling, We ordered more towels to close the gap, keeping privacy in and the smell out.

The bathroom was best. NICE faucet, wow!!! They forgot to finish wallpaper/tile over door leaving old concrete to show, lol. Icky mildew under caulk is showing all around tub edge. Shower curtain curved bar is FANTASTIC, liner was mildewed. you CAN NOT sit on commode (toilet) and move the door, lol. I'm 6 ft and my feet were outside of bathroom when I stretched out, lol. The shower head is GREAT, but the tub and plumbing is old and doesn't drain that amount of water quickly. The water pools at 2 inches for the entire shower. 2/2 lamp shades had brown stains, the curtain rod was propped on the wall when we entered, and the huge headboards... lol... one was falling and not secured properly. We hoped one would fall on us while sleeping so we could sue the hotel and DEMAND they renovate or condemn it. (lol, just kidding... sort of)

Both velvet headboards were very dusty, lol. They are chocolate brown, easy to see the dust from a distance.

So, all that aside... I expected a 3*. I got 1*. I am extremely disappointed. The anger is passing. This was not a 1* trip. After buying Clorox wipes, incense, febreeze, extra sheets, a blanket, rigging the door with towels, showering in my socks, sleeping with the lights on, blasting the air, and being in the hotel for only 12 hours in 2 days - we MADE the hotel liveable, lol.

The hotel is "ok". Thy need a business loan and a plan. I felt like I was staying in a shelter that received some nice donations (a red lamp, a little lcd tv, and some upscale lotions). HP needs to COMPLETE their renovation project (did they start?!), Lower the price, not pretend to be so high brow. Eventually those web visitors will eventually show up and see your attempts to
"put lipstick on a pig."

I wish I had read MY review. There are only TWO camps for this hotel, if my review seems PETTY, then you know its ok to stay here and the price is ok... for you. If ANY of these things concern you, just don't do it, or have a backup hotel reservation and ensure your rate is refundable rates... LOL.

Room Tip: Inquire about the view (rooftop view is terrible), floor (some are smoking), and vending machine/ele...