“Hotel Preston Review”
Review of Hotel Preston

Hotel Preston
Ranked #70 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This little hotel on the fringes of Nashville is a unique place for people looking to hit up the sights and (obviously) the sounds of Nashville but who don't want to stay in the heart of downtown.

The Hotel Preston itself stands about 15min between you and the ever-so-touristy locations off Broadway in downtown Nashville. Oh, also, it's right the hell in front of "BNA" (aka, Nashville International). To be fair though, it's BA to watch all the planes from BNA take off or land every few minutes from your room.

Clearly this is an older hotel that's been renovated into a modern "boutique hotel".

For those unfamiliar with the concept of a boutique hotel, I'll give you the reader's digest version: a boutique hotel is in essence a non-brand name hotel that features lots of quirky touches you might not find at your run of the mill Motel 8. The Hotel Preston, for example, offers a "pillow menu" (a selection of pillow types available at the front desk), a "spiritual menu" (a selection of religious texts available at the front desk) and your choice of a lava lamp or goldfish at check-in.

While the gigantic, faded ads on the exterior of the building might suggest the hotel preston is a cheesy joint, turns out, it's actually pretty slick. It has a nice lobby, nice atrium, a restaurant and a AARP card holding nightlife scene courtesy of the "pink slip lounge". To be fair though, the pink slip lounge provided some of the more entertaining moments of my experience with the Hotel Preston. These elements (along with an extremely friendly staff) combine to make this an interesting (and entertaining) option for lodging in Nashville.

Staying in the suite offers up a unique set of benefits. Let's get this out of the way first: as I mentioned, this place is old. And there are a lot of compromises to make for staying in an old hotel. Even in the most expensive room offered.

The "suite" features two bathrooms, although one of the two basically had a nonexistent drain in our experience. Seriously, by the end my stay, I walked out of the hotel room with a half full bathtub (courtesy of said broken drain).

In addition, cleanliness offered something to be desired. My wife and I found two silk-cut hearts on the floor next to the bed, hinting at a previous sexual rendezvous in the very bed we were sleeping in. Look. People have sex in hotels. But finding remnants of someone else's sexual conquests in the same bed you're sleeping in is a bit weird. Also, we found two….errr….suggestive imprints on the window in the bedroom. I won't go into much detail, but imagine two female mammory glands being pressed against the hotel window and their prints not cleaned off and you have an idea of what we saw.

The furniture has clearly been abused (seriously, there are scratches all over basically everything), but the furniture is nicely laid out and in ample supply in the suite I stayed in. Nice little drawers and ample storage and seating made the furniture a nice addition to the Preston Hotel's lineup. Also, did I mention that the lights that are scattered throughout the room have an illuminated base to them? Pretty nifty.

Yes. It has a lot of "city miles" on it. Yes, there are things in this hotel I'd rather not think of. But, in the end, I didn't leave with bedbugs.

So, in the end, the Hotel Preston is a solid choice. Yes… we ran into cleanliness issues (boob imprints, broken showers, sexual remnants, etc.) but the overall stay can't be beat based on the price we paid. Certainly worth checking out if you find yourself in the Nashville area.

See a video review: http://youtu.be/_RX5h1_VzgI

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed review. While it sounds like you had an enjoyable stay overall, I'm sorry there were several missteps on our part. Thanks for mentioning the fun amenities we offer— like our pillow menu and lava lamps. We like to think of ourselves as a fun escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, and it sounds like we did our job!

That being said, I'd love to get some more information from you regarding a few of the things you mentioned. I'm sorry about your broken drain— that must have been very frustrating. Did you let our staff know about this? We would have gladly gotten someone to fix that for you. I apologize for those silk hearts left on your floor and any sort of imprints left on the window. I can promise you, we take cleanliness very seriously, so this raises a red flag. I will absolutely speak with my staff about this. I'm truly sorry if you were uncomfortable in any way. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this some more.

Once again, I appreciate this feedback. I do hope you will stay with us again. I'm confident we will put our best foot forward!

Much appreciated,

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Hotel Preston is very unique, it reminds me of a Vegas hotel/casino with its themed decor. Everything was very clean and of greater quality than regular hotel. The bed was nice and comfortable and you can order different pillows upon arrival although we enjoyed the ones we had. You may also order a lava lamp or fish for the kids (my teen loved this) for no additional charges. The only thing that is a negative is the lack of a breakfast buffet if you have kids. However, you don't really expect free meals with upper level hotels like this one anyway. We also did not like the lack of luggage carts available. I booked through Priceline and it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is close enough to downtown to make it convenient.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're so glad you enjoyed our unique and quirky hotel! It's wonderful your kids got a kick out of our lava lamp and goldfish.We're all about making sure your entire family gets the most out of their stay. That being said, we'll definitely take note of your concern about the limiting breakfast selection and lack of luggage carts. We're always open to feedback, so any more thoughts you have, I'm all ears! Next time you need a getaway, we'd love for you to stay with us.

Be well,

Reviewed 4 June 2013

The hotel was very new and modern. Red "fur" was framed in the elevators. The rooms were spacious and clean. The only drawback is that this is a $20 cab from downtown. The hotel will call you a cab to get there and it was easy getting one back, but if you want to be in the middle of all the Nashville action - this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trish M
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Trish,
Thanks for this feedback. I'm so glad you're a fan of our authentic and funky hotel. We want our guests to have an awesome experience with us, so it's wonderful you loved our modern design. That being said, I'm sorry you think we're a little far from downtown. It might cost you a little extra for a cab ride, but we're a stone's throw away from the airport and you can't beat that convenience— no muss, no fuss for travelers. Hey, next time you need a place to stay in Nashville, we'd love for you to come back and see us!

Be well,

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We have stayed in this hotel at least 6 or 7 times. It is a remodel of an older chain hotel property with all kinds of special touches. It is filled with off beat works of art. The interior of the elevators is trimmed in cowhide. The quality and styling of the room furnishings linens etc is fantastic. When the kids are with us we even get to, borrow' a goldfish or lava lamp for the evening. The hotel is so close to the airport that it makes a great 'park,stay,and fly' experience. The staff cheerfully makes any reasonable request a reality. The price is always a pleasant surprise and so effortless. It really is my favorite hotel.

Room Tip: Only 3 1/2 star hotel near BNA. Try 'name you own price' on priceline for a few days. you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Warren,
It's wonderful to hear back from such longtime, loyal customers! From our funky amenities to our authentic Nashville photography, we're proud of our quirkiness and glad you're a fan, as well. It's wonderful your kids get a kick out of our goldfish and lava lamps. Thanks for mentioning our friendly staff and convenient location, too. We're always trying to make our guests' lives a little easier! Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We booked this hotel through Priceline, so we were able to get it for a very good price. It is really close to both downtown and Opryland, so since those are the two places we go in Nashville, it is quite convenient. The room is spacious and clean. The bathroom is a bit small, but since we only stayed one night, it was not a big deal. I would recommend this hotel if you are making short trip to Nashville and you want somehwere convenient and economical to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed our hotel and took advantage of our great location. We work hard to be a relaxing and fun escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, and it sounds like we did our job! Please come back and see us soon next time you're in Nashville.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Preston last week in preparation for a trip to Florida, in which I had an early am flight. I wanted to stay near the airport as to not have to fight morning rush hour. I won this room on Priceline for a good price. The Hotel Preston is a cute botique hotel. The decor is modern with a country twist. My room was very comfortable and clean, the bed lines were new and soft. The only issue I had was thin walls between rooms ( a family with small children were next door--but I turned my air up and did not hear them). All of the staff I interacted with were very friendly. All in all not a bad stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I'm so glad you appreciate how unique we really are. We work hard to be a relaxing and fun escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, and it sounds like we did our job! Thanks for mentioning our friendly staff, as well. That being said, I'm sorry you could hear your neighbors. We'd never want you to lose sleep at night, so I'll definitely look into this. All and all, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Preston is definitely not as fabulous as the website makes it seem- to be expected i suppose- but i enjoyed it. it's clean and everyone's helpful. the hotel website says the in-room coffee is Starbucks brand and the tea is Tazo. this is not the case. the other amenities are cute and a nice touch though- like a pet goldfish. they also sent up a microwave and a lava lamp at our request but ran out of fridges. we had a pool view, which was nice. the hotel's right off the interstate- no noise but very easy to find. overall a nice hotel.

Room Tip: ask for the pool view:)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay! It's wonderful you took advantage of our fun amenities and appreciated our convenient location. That being said, I'm sorry you didn't feel like our hotel lived up to its online reputation. We're always looking to "wow" our guests, so if there's any more feedback you have for us, we're all ears! We normally have Starbucks and Tazo, but we must have run out of stock during your visit. That was our fault, and we'll make sure to be more prepared next time. All and all, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back here soon!