“Tattered and worn......”

Ranked #69 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Merida
“Tattered and worn......”
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I just checked into the Preston, and I am disappointed. I get the concept and the hotel got awards in 2007 but I doubt they have done anything to it since then. The hotel feels dirty, carpets worn, elevator lights are intermittent, the pictures of the pool show 7 lounge chairs, there was only 1 and it was ripped, you could not even use it. It should not even be out there. Plus the kitchen fan blew all the grill smoke over the pool area. I was on the 2nd floor so would use the stairway, it was GROSS!!! Painting and a new drop ceiling (tiles missing and water stains) would not cost much at all. I know it is a very hard business with slim margins, but the lack ot detail and maintenance are glaring and apparent. And, they charge $10 for internet, the should be free considering. Otherwise, it would work!! Clean it up management!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Since your stay with us we have received new pool furniture and continue to make improvements to your property based on our guests comments. We hope that next time you are in Nashville you will stay with us again.

Monique

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Indonesian first
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My Wife and I spent one horrible night at the Hotel Preston and will not make this mistake again. We checked in and wanted to spend an hour or so by the pool. Took one look and decided that the pool was not for us. 3-4 chairs and one chaise lounge was the entire complement of patio furniture and they were already occupied. We did not feel like sitting on the concrete so we scratched that idea. The pool was the main reason we chose the Preston over the Hotel Hutton (which we love) for this stay as the Hutton does not have a pool. Something was wrong with the drain in the shower so I had to take a shower standing in 6 inches of water. We did not eat at the resturant but we did spend a few min in the Bar/Lounge...another mistake. We had a couple of overpriced drinks with the 5 other people in the bar listening to Billy Bob and the Rednecks belting out country favorites. But our stay was on a Wed night...maybe the bar is happening on weekends..I guess I will never know. The bed was comfortable with a nice selection of pillows, the rest of the room felt very "dated". I was worried that being so close to the Airport might be a problem with noise but the air conditioner was so loud we never heard the planes. Also there was a problem with the AC and it never cut off. I guess the best thing I can say about the Hotel Preston is free parking. Next time we are in Nashville we are going to stay at the Hotel Hutton...for an extra $20 a night the Hotel Hutton is everything the Hotel Preston isn't.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us did not go well. Our pool is a very popular place during the summer and I am happy to let you know that we have received new pool furniture to enhance that area. In addition, we are continuing to transform our live music options by offering a variety of music such as Country on Wednesdays, Jazz on Thursdays, R&B/Oldies on Fridays and 80's/90's on Saturdays. I appreciate your feedback and would like to get more information from you so we can address the problems with your room. I can be reached at 615-361-5900. I look forward to hearing from you.

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I was doing a photo shoot in my room at the Hotel Preston on the afternoon of my stay. So, my husband and I stayed the evening there as a little vacation 15 minutes from home. We had a fabulous north facing room which was great for my purposes. The room was HUGE, but the bathroom was really small. We couldn't get out of the shower if the door was open. We're door open kind of people, so that may not matter to others, but if just seemed really small to us. The robe was great!

The hallways seem really hot and smell like smoke. The double doors to our room didn't have doors that reached the floor. There was at least half an inch around the bottom of each door which was strange and allowed for a lot of noise to get in an otherwise silent room.

Even though we are from Nashville, we wanted to ask the staff at the front desk if they had a close recommendation for a casual place to eat that might not be something on our usual radar. They suggested Zaxby's, McDonald's and Wendy's. Not quite what we had in mind.

I don't think I could do a week here, but for a night it was perfect.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My business partner & I arrived @ 2AM the morning of our reservation for that afternoon. We were pleasantly surprised when they got us into a room right away. From the contemporary, yet groovy, reception area to the intriguing sculptures throughout the hotel. The hallways are decorated in photos of Nashville legends, yet you feel like you are walking through a new movie theater with the door to your room being black. You open your door to a lovely furnished room and a beautiful bathroom. We ate breakfast and lunch several times,and the servers are nice and knowledgeable of the area, food was very tasty, and the service exceeded my expectations of dining at the hotel. Live Music, nightly at the Pink Slip Lounge in the hotel, that was absolutely a bonus. Downtown is less than 5 miles and you are only 7.5 miles to the Green Hills area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I got this hotel through Priceline and was a little leery until we checked in. Very cool retro hotel. Rooms are nice and large, enough to add a rollaway bed easily. Cool Black and White pictures of country singers all over the room and hotel. Girl and the desk was very polite and helpful. We needed extra towels and things for the room and we received them very quickly. It is Saturday night and the bar is very crowded with a live band. The crowd at the bar seem to be very well dresses and our for a very nice night out. All in all this has been a good experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
West Monroe, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My family wanted to find a good place to spend the july 4th weekend and be able to bring our dog... so i seen their website... and was blown away at the price. I booked the room right away. We checked in and went to the room hoping that the room was nice and a big comfy bed was awaiting us. Wow.... what a bed??? I took one look and was ticked off, cause their website said how comfy the beds were. They were HORRIBLE... It felt like CONCRETE!!!!! I was soooo upset that i wanted to leave right then and forfeit the money spent on the place and go somewhere else. You could tell that the hotel had upgrades just to cover up the old. Very weird deco in the lobby and elevators. The hallways were very dim and creepy and HOT!!! You could hear everything in your room from the other rooms and hallway. Just put it this way... I would Never suggest this place to anyone! If so... bring your own mattress to sleep on! Besides, the airport is right across the road from this hotel, and very loud when the planes take off. Raddison, you did not do any justice changing names and apperance!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Temple, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2010

It's not often I've stayed at a hotel with faux crushed velvet wallpaper in the elevators... Hotel was a little ragged. I wouldn't want to stay there longer than a short overnighter.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Hotel-Preston09, General Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would like to discuss specific issues that you had so we can address them and correct them. I can be reached at monique@hotelpreston.com or by phone 615-361-5900. Thank you for your comments.