“Delicious sunday supper”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Germantown
Cross street: Monroe
Description: Featured in the New York Times Style Magazine Style Map in 2009, City House is located in historic Germantown. City House is a chef-owned restaurant with a knowledgeable staff invested in establishing a unique culinary experience that features locally grown and created food.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Enjoyed a shared dinner for two on a recent trip to Nashville for a conference.Padrones were delicious. Nice selection of beer and cocktails. The 'supreme' pizza was also very tasty for it's all vegetable toppings. Don't skip dessert - it's worth saving room for. Service was relaxed but attentive.

1  Thank njw_to
There are newer reviews for City House

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had dinner at City House with forty business associates. Neighborhood location, rooms main level and half-level up. Started with exceptional Oregon wines and prosciutto and english cheddar; excellent meal with four courses, three of types of pizza and a main course of chicken. All well-prepared and hot to the table. I'm looking forward to my next visit!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Sunday night supper at City House is always enjoyable. It has a warm communal feel with friends laughing and eating. Always a great meal and a great deal of fun.

1  Thank Estie H
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I joined a friend for dinner recently at Nashville's City House restaurant where we had previously dined over a year before. As I recall, our earlier experience there was fine (we all had pizzas). However, this recent visit was a far cry from the first. I'll attempt to be brief: Our friend had made the dinner reservation with a request that we be seated upstairs where it is somewhat quieter (the acoustics on the downstairs level are horrible, or rather non-existent). She arrived before us and was told that no tables upstairs were available since a large party had booked the entire upper floor. So, we were seated along the wall on the first floor where the open kitchen is located, and where, after a somewhat lengthy wait, we were finally attended to by a server whom we could hardly hear over the deafening din. My wife and I both ordered the Pole Bean, Chickpea, Red Onion salad as a first course and our friend ordered the salami and Wisc. cheese plate as her appetizer. My wife's and my choice was quite unremarkable: a plate of nearly raw green beans with garbanzos (chickpeas) that was way, way too salty. The same was true of her main course: cornmeal-breaded North Carolina Catfish, which she didn't (couldn't) finish due to the salt. My entree was the Linguine with Tomato, Field Peas, Garlic and Grana Padano cheese: OK, but nothing remarkable. Our friend ordered a pizza for her main course and thought it was fine. We had taken a good bottle of wine (an Italian Ripasso by Tommasi) from our personal collection, for which we were charged a $20. corkage fee (maybe a bit on the high side, but apparently City House feels it must keep up with other restaurants in the area. Fair enough). For dessert we all ordered the butterscotch Gelatto. Not bad. Service was slow in general. And water poured was lukewarm. We have no plans to return to the City House in the future. Truly a disappointment. Plenty of other dining options exist currently in Nashville, with many more scheduled to join them soon.

2  Thank Philip R
Reviewed 6 August 2014

It's noisy - I guess in a good way, if you like a busy restaurant scene. Looked like a very fun bar. We sat in the screened area; all are tables for 6, and you share. Also ok, if you know it's coming. Also if it's not sweltering; it was on the verge. The tables for two inside were inches away from each other, it appeared. Our waiter was excellent - really knew his ingredients, I wish I remembered his name. I noticed hesitated to recommend the trout to another couple, but that's what I had and it was delicious - the 'stuffing' was marvelous. The cheese-on-tomato appetizer was great. My daughter's pasta dish was less great. But overall, it was good. I'd go back - and probably try one of the pizzas.