“Great Hotel for weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt
Ranked #25 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Great Hotel for weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

This was our first time in Nashville, and we couldn't have picked a better hotel! From the moment we pulled up we were impressed with the friendly and professional staff. Our room was clean, the beds were very comfortable, and it was spacious for 4 adults. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but did have a drink at the bar before heading down to the strip with the free shuttle (which ran until midnight when we were in town!) We did use the hot tub, which was nice too. The location was within walking distance to the Universities too. We saw on reviews that some people didn't like the cost of parking, but with free shuttle and being close to a lot of stuff, we were able to park the car and leave it, which is nice. I guess if you stay for a longer period of time, it could be really expensive. We will definitely stay here next time we come to town.

Room Tip: Right next to elevators are a little on the noisier side due to elevator traffic, but overall very q...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Josh G, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Greetings Diane B,

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our staff and the hotel. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities offered at the hotel. The shuttle is one of our most popular features, and the late ending time is a big plus for many guests. We love our location with the proximity to downtown and the universities, and we hope to have you back soon so you get the opportunity to sample some of the delicious food in the restaurant.

Thanks again,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Bowling Green, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel again last week. The hotel is clean, very accommodating, breakfast is good and the location is fantastic! This is our second stay at this property. They do provide a shuttle service that will take you anywhere in a 2-3 mile radius (but service ends at 10pm), but honestly, you can walk just about anywhere you would like to go. Our first stay, we had the shuttle drop us at The Wildhorse Saloon and ventured in and out of several bars with live music. It was long after 10pm when we were ready to return to our room, so we walked back, a brisk 15-20 minute walk. Last week, on our second stay, we skipped the shuttle and walked where we wanted to go.....FYI, parking is about $25 per day per car!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ricky L, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear paula m,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out this review.. I am glad you came back to stay with us again. We truly love when we have guests who come back time and time again. I am happy you enjoyed our location and utilized the shuttle to get around town. We hope to see you back again very soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn from Friday 3/15 to Sunday 3/17. The rate was $229 although everything seemed inflated that weekend because the SEC tournament was going on, so I'm guessing it's not typically that expensive. Still, I wouldn't pay more than half that to stay here if I ever return to Nashville.

Despite reserving a non-smoking room, my friend and I were informed by the front desk that none were available, so we'd have to take a smoking room. The front desk said non-smoking room reservations are only requests and are not guaranteed. However, they told us that they would deodorize the room after we went out for the evening. When we got back the room still smelled like smoke, so either they never did it, or it's simply ineffective because the smoke is so ingrained in the room. Anyway, the following day we were at least moved to a different room, and the hotel did compensate us for our troubles by giving us four vouchers for the hotel's breakfast ($48 value).

The rooms are okay but nothing special. My biggest complaint was that they are not very soundproof, meaning that you can hear people talking in the hallway, and other rooms' doors being closed. This made it hard to sleep at times.

Another complaint I have is that the housekeepers start early. By 9am they are knocking on people's doors and saying "Housekeeping!", which, due to the lack of soundproofing, was easily heard even when they were halfway down the hall. I even had a do not disturb sign on my door but that did not stop a housekeeper from knocking on my door and entering my room at 10am while I was in bed. I said what are you doing, I have a do not disturb sign on my door, and she just said, "Oh, sorry" and walked away. Highly unnecessary.

Another negative is the high cost of parking ($23/day whether you valet or self-park, with no good nearby street parking options). The exercise room is also very small, so unless you get the timing right, you might not be able to do what you want to do or even exercise at all.

The best part of the hotel was probably the breakfast. For $12 you can eat all you want, including cooked-to-order omelets, waffles, eggs, and so forth, as well as the usual fresh fruit and cereal and yogurt and OJ and coffee. It's nothing super duper, but still pretty good value. It would have been worth it even if we didn't have the vouchers.

The other redeeming quality of the hotel is the location. It's not smack dab in the center of downtown but you can take a cab to the heart of Broadway for about $8 (with tip), and there's also a cluster of bars within short walking distance (maybe 5 minutes).

Still, you can probably do better somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kbarry03
Dear kbarry03,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I have passed all information to the relevant managers. I have also advised our chef and breakfast staff how much you enjoyed the breakfast, which they were pleased to hear. If you do have any other concerns, please feel free to email me at ricky.leblancii@hilton.com
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is our hotel of choice when visiting Nashville. You are just far enough away from the main strip as to not get stuck in the traffic, but the hotel offers a shuttle down to the Broadway strip free of charge. This means you can drink a few and listen to the music and not have to worry about driving back to the hotel. They will pick you up right next to the famous Tootsie's. The hotel itself is nicely appointed and clean. They have valet parking or you can park yourself in the parking garge behind the hotel. You are very close to the Vanderbilt Univ. district and are within walking distance to some of the college bars and eateries. This is a prime location to the interstate and it's very easy to get in and out of. You are in a safe part of the city and the hotel makes your stay very pleasant. They have a full service breakfast each morning and a bar area as well. The rooms are nice and they have conference facilities at the top of the hotel. This is a really nice place!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear KellyT,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this great review to and for us. We love hearing all feedback, and I love passing on great feedback to our team. I am glad you enjoy our location. We feel we are centrally located among all the goodies of Nashville. We definitely hope to welcome you back soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Selected this hotel for its proximity to Vanderbilt law school (~7 min walk). Turns out to also be convenient to the downtown district - an easy 1 mile walk. (There is a hotel shuttle too, but the weather was great, so the walk was a nice option.)

Had a very enjoyable stay - absolutely nothing to complain about! The entire staff was extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. We were able to check in around noon, which was nice having arrived from an early flight. Our room was very nice - again, nothing to complain about at all. Very comfortable beds. Very thick, soft bath towels and finally, a hotel bathroom with a fan so the mirror isn't all steamed over after a shower. The 4 elevators ensure you never have to wait even a minute for one. The breakfast was very good - lots of selection - the fruit, OJ, and french toast were esp good. Restaurant staff went out of their way to provide good service. Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Book direct on the hotel website to get the "bed and breakfast deal" - free breakfast at n...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Imyq,

Thank you for the review.. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Vanderbilt, and with that being said we may see you more often now. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

This hotel is in a great location. The room is nice although there was a little bit of a musty smell in the bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable. Big plusses for that. The breakfast was very good. The dinner was average. All of the employees were extremely nice and went out of their way to make you feel welcome. I felt like $199.00 for a standard room was a little high for this particular hotel. But I would recommend overall.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Europabound
Dear steveatlanta1,

Thanks for the review and for staying with us. We definitely pride ourself on our amazing team, and are thankful you enjoyed them as well. We are so glad you enjoyed our "Garden Sleep System Beds". They are made by natural form. They use vents and valves to inflate or deflate several cylinders in the bed. This makes for a comfortable nights sleep. We can't wait until you come back to enjoy them again.
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

My son and I were visiting Vandy recently, and as a Hhonors member I picked this hotel for the night. It is a multi-story hotel convenient to both Vandy and Belmont University. I usually love Garden Inns for their comfort, economy and convenience. From the very start through check-out, the staff was excellent. They were so nice, I really wanted to love everything else.

First, the parking fee is $23/night. That does not include the usual tips. In a large metro area, I expect this. In Nashville, I do not.

Next, after asking specifically for a quiet room, we were placed next to the elevator on the street side of the hotel. It was a noise filled night preventing a good night's sleep. All the pillows were the mushy-type further preventing me from getting comfortable. Who sleeps with these pillows?

Lastly, a walk-up was quoted a significantly lower rate in front of me at the front deak. As a long-time Hhonors Gold mememeber, I did not appreciate this. Nobody wants to think someone who did not plan well got a better rate than you who did.

It is my firm belief that Hilton properties in general have slipped considerably in the last few years. This is not a bad hotel by any stretch, and again the staff was excellent. Even so, I will try something else next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street for a quiet night.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear CoasterWarrior,

Thank you so much for your review.. I have passed on your concerns to the relevant managers. I am so glad you enjoyed our staff. They will be so happy to know they have exceeded your expectations with their service. We do look forward to welcoming you back soon. If you have any other concerns please feel free to email me at ricky.leblancii@hilton.com