“Awful Experience AVOID!”

Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt
Ranked #26 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Made Graduation reservations months ahead of time for multiple rooms for extended family. Arrived early in the day and called to see whether rooms would be available and we were told 12:30. We all went to lunch and arrived at the appointed time and were told that the rooms would be ready at 2:30, we told the hotel that it was important that the 12 people had a chance to change and prepare for our event at 4. We came back to the hotel and watched numerous guests check in the hotel while my 86 year old mother sat in the lobby. 2:30 came and went and no rooms. The hotel staff was absolutely NO HELP AT ALL! The staff was AWFUL. We were finally told, after sitting in the lobby for several hours, that "Check-In is 4:00 p.m.". After forcing us to sit for several hours in the lobby with no explanation the hotel did nothing to make it right.
Additionally, before we arrived we tried to book an additional rook and the hotel said there was now a 3 day minimum and the rate was $100 higher, This hotel gouges travelers. AVOID THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank rlsrelaw1
nashbill, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2010

Dear rlsrelaw1 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com . All feedback is appreciated as it helps us with customer service and ways to improve our hotel. We do our best to acquiesce to guest requests, but during extremely high occupancy days, that can sometimes be a challenge.

We are currently investigating your complaints to see what the delay was with checkin. Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Merrily Bell, CHA
Assistant GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,637)

Reviewed 14 May 2010

I have been staying at this hotel on at least 4 or 5 occasions since January. They greet me at the front desk on a first name basis and always ask how I am doing. I have shown up last minute and never with a reservation from day one - and I always manage to get a room and extensions all of the time - since my trips are of a medical situation with a family member, my staying times vary.

My rooms are always clean and fresh smelling and the bed I wish I had here at home!!!

If ever I had any problems or something was not to my satisfaction I was able to talk
to someone and have the problem fixed immediately. Now this may because I am always sure to treat the hotel staff as HUMAN BEINGS and say please and THANK-YOU
all the time!

The food, I am always Leary of hotel food, but in this case, I was starving one night and did not have the energy to go to one of my favorite watering holes " The Brewhouse" and
mojo grill - I highly recommend this place, and if you get smashed on the beers they have there, you can make it back to the hotel safely! Ok, where was I, ah..the Hotel food,
after careful contemplation whether to order the food I broke down and ordered a Salmon crusted dish with Angel Hair Pasta....All I can say is..." I couldn't believe I ate the whole dam thing", it was FANTASTIC and a large portion which I was gonna be pissed
if it wasn't a decent size dinner being room service and all! The Caesars salad and Garden salad I also Highly recommend!

It's the only place I will stay at in Nashville and when I hit the lottery out there I'm going to move into that hotel and live on "room service". Until that time comes - it's very much so worth the price and extra few bucks here and there to be as comfortable as you can be
as a guest in Nashville!

TIPS: it doesn't hurt to ask for a good price on the rooms - especially if you are staying for more than a few days at a time!

KEN C.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Dear KentheGreat,
WOW! Thanks for the great reveiw! We always love to hear that our staff is exceeding our Guest's expectations and that our facilities are comfortable. It is guest like you, that give us a purpose here at the hotel and we hope you continue to choose the Hilton Garden Inn - Vanderbilt whenever you are in Nashville. I also recommend the Drunken Goat Cheese Chicken sandwhich and sweet potato fries the next time you stay with us. YUM!

Once again, thank you for always choosing us when you stay in Nashville and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Juan C. Mera

Reviewed 31 March 2010

First off,the price I was given over the phone was not the same as the price when I arrived! The hotel may have been nice,but when I went to drive back home,my truck had been vandalized! Someone had apparently tried to steal my tires,from their parking garage,that I had to pay $18.00 a night to stay in! The bad thing is I did not know this until driving down the interstate going 70mph ,and my tire came completly off,due to the loosened lugnuts!!!When contacting the hotel,they said a seperate company is in charge of (NOT) watching the parking garage.They sent me a letter saying they were not going to do anything about it,and that parking there was PARKING AT YOUR OWN RISK!. So,$620 later,I would like everyone to know this!

Reviewed 10 March 2010

Other reviewers mentioned that the odd numbered rooms at this hotel face out to Broadway, and it is LOUD. I was lucky to be on the even side (facing the parking garage), but my colleague wasn't so lucky on the odd side...it was pretty loud in his room when I stopped by to get him for dinner.

Staff was awesome, and the food at the lobby restaurant looked good as well.

It would have been MUCH different if I was in my friend's room.

Reviewed 1 March 2010

Nice hotel, convenient location...but don't stay on the front side (Broadway). Very noisy! I sleep with earplus in and the traffic noise was bad! The hotel is at a light and the sound of cars stopping and starting was irritating while I was trying to work in my room and very disruptive for me to sleep (again, even with earplugs). The room was nice but I felt like I was staying on a drag strip. If noise doesn't bother you, it's no problem and the rooms on the otherside of the hotel may be much quieter. I was on the 5th floor...if you stayed on the second floor, I can't imagine how loud it would be.

Reviewed 12 January 2010

Positives: covered parking, nice pool & jacuzzi (though the seats could be a bit lower), good fitness room, comfortable beds, and nice room layout. Negatives: parking is expensive @ $18/night, breakfast not included either. You can only load/unload your car from the lobby entry area, because once you park in the structure, you must go down to the first level and go across to the lobby (if it's raining, you're hosed).

The wireless internet was funny, I don't know if it's my computer or the network, but I had to keep reconnecting every five minutes or so. Pain in the neck.

THIS HOTEL DOESN'T LIKE PETS! We had a small bird, and after our first day, when we came back to the hotel, we found our keys didn't work, and we were told we had to leave. I understand pet policy, but a 2 oz., bird? We ended up able to stay, but had to pay a $50 fee for him, non-refundible. We've been driving across the country, and this definitely got us spooled up a bit because of the drudgery of continuously loading/unloading our car.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Nothing really sets this hotel apart as it is a standard Hilton Garden Inn property. This can be viewed as both positive and negative.

The one downside is the noise for the rooms with the last digit being an odd number. They have a nice view however they also have street noise as a major issue as there is a lot of traffic on Broadway. A couple of times a night I would be woken up by ambulances heading to the Vanderbilt hospitals or by other traffic going by. And that's saying a lot as I live in an urban area and typically sleep like a rock. The even number rooms might have a boring view of the parking garage but almost certainly should be quieter.

$18 is a bit steep for parking considering other Hilton family hotels within a short distance don't charge. Plus there's no covered walkway/access from the garage to the hotel so you’ll get wet if it’s raining.

The 37" LG HDTVs are very nice but they only have standard definition showing on them. In addition a couple of channels (including the local CBS affiliate) were so snowy they were unwatchable. It would be nice if they would at least get the basic channels in HD.

The location is very good with many restaurants within a walking distance along with short drives downtown and to the Vanderbilt campus.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple