“Even Diamond Platinum members get treated poorly here”

Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt
Ranked #25 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Even Diamond Platinum members get treated poorly here”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We had reservations for one night and had to check in late (and noted that in the reservation). Were given a smoking room which was intolerable. Half a dozen people were still waiting to check in despite the late check-in. Were told there were no more rooms. Were moved to a different hotel with higher parking fees and had to argue with the other hotel about who was going to pay for the parking (in the hotel we did not book but were moved to.) Management at the hotel was unsympathetic and inhospitable. They changed their tune when they learned that we were Platinum members of Hilton Honors, but our stance was that no one should be treated this way and no one should be sent to a smoke-filled room without an apology when a non-smoking room had been booked, etc. A total disappointment. Poor management, poor training, awful customer service and despite being loyal to Hilton in the past, we will never stay at either of these Hilton hotels in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank knothomeeither

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 September 2010

As a business traveler, I am very famiiar with hotels and this hotel offered me exactly what I was looking for: free internet, workout room with weights and cardio machines, and a good night's sleep. The staff were the highlight of the establishment and the location can not be beat. Also, upon arriving, I was happy to learn that there are plenty of eating options (fast food and sit down) within walking distance. (Though I would not suggest visiting the nearby Lime if you hungry... food was not great and I wish I had gone to the 1808 Grill @ the Hutton House).

My only disgruntled experience with this hotel had to do with the cigarrette smell that was present. I had to ask to be moved from my first room due to the odor and upon entering my second room I was relieved to be able to breathe easier... until I entered the bathroom. Either an earlier guest had smoked in the bathroom OR a current guest in a nearby room was smoking in their bathroom and the smell was traveling through the venilation system. Either way, it is disgusting (my towels smelled bad) and I wish the hotel would be more strict about their smoking policies (seeing as how both rooms were non-smoking). If not for this, the hotel would have been perfect.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Nicole75077
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Couldn't check in until 4pm? - no room ready at 3pm?? ridiculous. Pay $18+ to self park? ridiculous. No complimentary breakfast, and instead charged $9.95 to serve yourself buffet? ridiculous. Advertised our room as one with a couch and a sleep number adjustable bed - both untrue. No couch, no sleep number/adjustable bed. Small room. Was afraid to use the coffeemaker in the morning in case we'd be charged for it. Desk personnel at check in - not pleasant. Oh, and the shower head was too high and did not adjust easily at all. and - towel rack was INSIDE the shower, because it was more important to have artwork on the wall in the bathroom where the towel racks should have gone. Way overpriced hotel experience. Only good thing is that it was convenient to what we were there for downtown. Have had better experiences at Quality or Comfort Inns - their rooms were just as nice and clean at those hotels. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rebeccalily
nashbill, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
Dear rebeccalily,

Thank you for the review on tripadvisor.com. We always like to know how our guests experience our hotel. I am sorry that you felt our hotel fell short of your expectations while visiting Nashville. We do our best to meet everyone's expectations and make sure that all of our guests are aware of what we offer.

I am sorry that we did not succeed while you were a guest of ours. All of the information on our website is up to date (i.e. check in time, parking costs, and breakfast price/description- By the way ALL Hilton Garden Inn's charge for breakfast for their breakfast buffets). And it also describes our Garden Sleep System Beds. ALL of our beds are adjustable and each room has an in-room comfort guide to alert our guests how to adjust them.( For future reference: the knob is on the top side of the mattress under the sheet.).

Thanks again for your review and for visiting Music City. We hope you choose us again the next time you're in town.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2010

It was good to have a new hotel in the Vanderbilt, West End area of town. Central to everything. The hotel was nice and the price was reasonable but they did charge for parking and getting to the parking garage from the hotel required an outside walk (not good in the rain). It was convenient.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dear abst14,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com. We appreciate the comments! We are glad to be here in the Vanderbilt area as it is a very convenient area for a lot of our guests. In regards to the walkway between the parking garage and the hotel; we are currently working on a solution to get it covered. Thank you again for the reveiw and we hope you chose to stay with us the next time you visit Nashville!

US
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We were met by the most wonderful valet staff here. You can self-park in the underground parking for a daily fee. There is no free parking around. The hotel is really nice! Rooms are large, clean and beautiful and beds are comfortable. There were some loud college students in the hall quite frequently, but amazingly, once we shut our door, we couldn't hear a thing. The hotel was completely booked while we were there, but hotel staff were handling it all well. We enjoyed a great breakfast buffet at the hotel. Although my daughter had the full buffet for $9, they adjusted my bill to accommodate just a limited breakfast for me...coffee and toast. I was glad that the only option for breakfast was the full buffet. There are very limited restaurants within walking distance, but the hotel is within a few minutes from downtown.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Athens GA
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The Staff was professional yet friendly. Our room was immaculate, beds were comfy. My only complaint was that when we arrived back to the hotel one afternoon it began to POUR rain as soon as we parked in the parking garage. Ther is no way to get into the hotel from the parking garage without walking outside. We waited 10 minutes and then just had to make a run for it. We got totally soaked. Also, the water does not drain correctly from the parking agrage and there were puddles of standing water 2" deep. I had to step in one of those just to get out of my car. Seems like these should not be issues in a new facility.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I went to Nashville for the CMA fest with 3 girlfriends. My friends are American, and I am Australian. The city was packed, and I think the staff at the hotel were quite lovely and hospitable taking into account that their city pretty much doubles in tourism this time of year. The rooms were clean and nice, I had no issues at all. We had no problems getting everything that we asked for from the staff.

The hotel is in pretty good location, its not really right downtown, but took us like 5 minutes to get there. The free shuttle doesnt take you to LP field, so we caught taxis to get to the nightly concert (which are ridiculously cheap... compared to Aussie taxis) but they took us anywhere else we needed to go, and organised the taxis when it was too far.

I would have expected hotels to be busy at this time of year, but the hotel was pretty quiet and even when people were down in the lobby, it wasnt insane. i.e. people not here for the festival may not have noticed.... until they walked outside, of course.

My only real issue was that I thought I would pay when I checked out, but they 'hold' the funds on your card - this may be common in the US but I wasnt used to it and wasnt prepared for it, but I know now, and I have booked the hotel again for next CMA fest and will be better prepared :-)

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here. It helped that I was at a music festival that compares to nothing I've ever experienced, and with 3 great friends, but still. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
nashbill, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
Dear kristenlees,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent visit to the States! We are so glad we could host you and your friends while in Nashville for the CMA Fest. You're right, that is a VERY busy time for our city and out hotel. Thank you for the compliments to our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again at next year's CMA Festival!