Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Nashville - Opryland
Travelocity
  • Pool
US$286
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgrand ole opryfree shuttlepancake makerhi expressfree breakfastindoor poolnear oprylandshuttle servicegeneral jacksonwithin walking distancethe hotel offersyogurtshuttle downtownfour nightsnice breakfastattending a conferencefront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights while going to a conference at the Gaylord Opryland hotel. It was a decent stay overall, but unfortunately I had a few problems and I think there is some definite room for improvement with the service and that the staff could use more training in how to handle problems.

Pros:
-Rooms are a good size and comfortable; bathroom is pretty large and has a nice granite vanity and modern styling
-Pick up from airport was good in their free shuttle van (their van is nice and new), and overall the shuttle service was pretty nice, but I think they should run their shuttle more often (see cons)
-female front desk staff and drivers were friendly (can't always say that about their male front desk staff which were not as friendly)
-breakfast was pretty good (I liked the pancake machine)
- Wifi worked well
- Quiet and pretty comfortable beds
- Liked that they offer a microwave and refrigerator

Cons:
- There was a ladybug problem while I was staying there. My problem is not so much that they had ladybugs (if I'm going to have any kind of bug in a hotel room lady bugs are not that bad), but in how they handled the situation. I had about 10 or more ladybugs in my room and when I called down and asked to switch rooms, the guy just was not very helpful. He said well you could switch rooms, but it might not help that much, and then he said he would send someone to vacuum them up, and that their computer system was down, so he couldn't switch rooms right now. So, I had them come and clean them up, but unsurprisingly there were more ladybugs in my room that evening, so I had to call again and finally talk to a manager so that I could switch rooms. I understand that they couldn't guarantee no lady bugs in a room, I just think that they should've handled the situation better. Since the hotel knew ladybugs were a problem (apparently the State releases them for agriculture reasons and all of TN was overrun with them), they should notify guests of the problem when they check in with a simple card in their room explaining the situation and apologizing for any inconvenience. Also, if a guest calls and ask to switch rooms, and they are unable to at that moment because the system is down, then they should call the guest later to check in and ask if there are still bugs and if she would still like to change rooms once their computer system was working again. I shouldn't have had to call twice and talk to a manager just to switch rooms. In all fairness the manager was very nice and offered me a discount, but I declined because I was on business and wasn't paying for the room myself.
-Both of my rooms were noticeably dusty. The lamps were pretty dusty and the end table near the desk was very dusty.
-When I called to book this hotel they told me the shuttle runs every half hour to the Gaylord. This is not true. The shuttle takes you from the hotel to the Gaylord only once an hour (every 30 minutes past the hour), then you need to call when you are ready to be picked up, and they will pick you up except if they are already out at the airport or elsewhere. Overall, I think when there is a conference or multiple conferences in town, they really should do the shuttle runs more often and have a set time instead of just having people call whenever they are ready. I did end up walking a few times and it is kind of a longish walk (15 minutes) when it is cold out and when you are wearing work shoes. Also, when I called to be picked up one time the guy gave me major attitude, and I just think they overall need to be better trained in customer service. (The shuttle to the Gaylord is probably not a big deal for guests who are just staying there for leisure and only go to the Gaylord once or twice to walk around, but if you are staying for a conference and want to go back and forth more than once a day it's a bit of a pain.)
-The airport shuttle only takes you back to the airport on the hour every hour, so if your flight is at a certain time then you either have to arrive at the airport a lot earlier than you need to or rush and run the risk of arriving late. I wish the airport shuttle could've been arranged in advance to go more often than every hour. I ended up taking a taxi back.
-Overall location wise, unless you are going for a conference or going specifically for a show at the Opryland, I would recommend staying closer to downtown if you can afford it. There were several restaurants/ bars within walking distance, but if you try to be a healthy eater or are looking for good quality non-fried food, you are pretty much out of luck. Several of the places mostly serve bar type food, and then your options are Cracker Barrel, Shoney's, Bob Evans, etc. types of restaurant. The Gaylord's restaurants are of course expensive too. I would recommend going to the Opryland Mills outlet mall which does have a few more restaurant options. I did like the Nashville Palace for the entertainment, it felt like an authentic Nashville experience, and was a fun place to go one night.

So, overall my stay was average. I think if the management put a little more thought into training their staff how to handle problems and fixed a few things (like the dustiness), it could be much better.

One tip I have is to definitely ask about the shuttle (operated by a private company) into Downtown Nashville. It's only $10 round trip and a great reliable service (I took it twice). I loved downtown Nashville, and if I went back would try to stay in downtown so I could walk to everything.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Brittany C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Nashville - Opryland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Hello, Orchid6510. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the service you received fell below your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Rest assured that your review will be looked into and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here on our last trip to Nashville mainly because it was close to Opryland Resort. We took the shuttle there and back. It was quick and convenient. The breakfast was also good. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

So not that i would expect 5 star service from a holiday inn but some level of pride in service.... Get into the room on first of a four night stay and there is hair in the bathroom sink and in the bathtub. Not particularly squeamish but that is disgusting - not bad enough to move hotels but what does that say about the cleanliness of the rest of the room. Next morning told the front desk about it, get back to room that night, hair in sink is gone but hair in tub still there - and for the rest of my stay. And bugs in the room - some kind of beetle i think. What next, bed bugs? Plus if you're going there because it is close to the Oprylanad convention center, welcome to a 20 minute walk through parking lots to get to Disneyland for Gray-Hairs. Nothing around the hotel of interest except maybe Nashville Palace. But if you do catch the shuttle to the convention center, Vicki is a really class act, great lady.
Hey IHG - I am writing this poor review - all true - because you wouldn't honour your commitment to award the reward miles that I would have received had I not booked through expedia - a feature of your rewards program buried in the small print. And a company that makes commitments and doesn't follow through is one that i will go out of my way not to do business with again.

Room Tip: Stay downtown where the real nashville is.
Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank A R
Brittany C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Nashville - Opryland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hello, A R. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the service you received fell below your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Rest assured that your review will be looked into and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Needed an affordable place to stay during my few days in Nashville. This hotel is right down the road from the airport and the highways are nearby. Also food options are nearby too.

Staff is super friendly especially Michael who checked me in. Very helpful and was able to accommodate me when I told him I needed a non-smoking room.The staff in the giftshop was the only exception. They weren't that friendly.

Internet and parking comes with your stay so that's a plus.

The hotel is pretty outdated and needs to be updated a bit more but it's a great option near the airport!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review on our hotel. We are happy we met your expectations at our hotel. We hope to see you again at our establishment.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a for sure place to stay! Clean rooms great service and close to anything you need. The manager is super. The desk clerks are always friendly. This is the only hotel I will stay in when I go to Nashville. They have a great breakfast as well.

• Stayed: November 2013