“Loved the hotel but very noisy”

Hotel Indigo Nashville
Ranked #23 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
“Loved the hotel but very noisy”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I went on a weekend trip and I have stayed in an Indigo hotel before and so I picked this one since it was downtown and close to everything. LOVED the hotel, it is very retro decorated with bright colors. Staff could not have been friendlier and the room was very nice and clean. We stayed on the 3rd floor and will definitely ask for a higher up room next time. Staying downtown I expected noise but this went beyond any noise I could imagine. It was so bad on Saturday night that my husband and I didn't even get to sleep until closer to 4am when traffic seemed to die down a little. Had it not been for the noise, hotel would have definitely gotten an excellent rating out of us. And the Valet, not only was worth the money but the guys working it were very personable, friendly and fast!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank indianacupcake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and myself were celebrating our 13th anniversary. We decided to spend the night in downtown Nashville and go to dinner and visit some of the nightlife. The hotel itself is in an old building that has been converted to a hotel. The room size was adequate in that we didn't plan on spending much time in the room. If you would be spending more time in the room then it probably would be too small for most. The staff were friendly and everything seemed pretty clean. However, after going out for dinner and going to Big Bang ( dueling piano bar) we came back to the hotel to get some sleep. The traffic noise was beyond loud. We could even hear people's conversations that were walking down the street. We were on the 3 rd floor and maybe upper level floors would be more quiet but I doubt it. It kept up us up most of the night until about 3 am when it seemed to calm down some. I would probably not stay there again just based on all the outside noise. The windows apparently need to be updated to a thicker glass to keep more noise out. It was a little upsetting but what do you do in the middle of the night? I wasn't wanting to move all our stuff to an upper level floor and don't even know if that would have been possible.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Nice lobby, check in area, and bar/lounge area (although I didn't have a drink). Stayed two nights on business on 3rd floor. Could hear people talking in hallway from room, but not too noisy otherwise. Rooms were modern and well-kept. High ceilings made the smaller room seem larger and the king bed was comfortable. Shower took a while to warm up and I wish all hotels (this one included) would have an outlet in the table lamp to charge your cell phone by the bed...those were my only "complaints." Starbucks in the building is handy, along with free wi-fi, and location is easily walkable to convention center and nightlife. Thumbs up.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2011

The best part of my stay here was the staff, hands down. Everyone, without fail was extraordinarily chatty and cheerful in a way that I do not usually encounter in hotels. I walked into an elevator filled with housekeepers, who were all extremely friendly & chatty. Everyone I met was a delight. I have noticed the consistency with service at every Hotel Indigo I have been at.

I didn't notice any noise problems that many of the other guests complained about on Tripadvisor and I am a very sensitive sleeper. Didn't notice too much traffic noise either, and I was only on 6th floor. I am wonder what sort of sounds people expect when they stay in the city?

I had my favorite egg Florentine sandwich from the restaurant and staff down there was super friendly & accommodating as well. An all around great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Everything about this hotel was pleasant. Unfortunately, I rate my satisfaction with a stay by the quality of the sleep obtained. The walls are so thin that we heard the next door tenant talking on her phone all night long. We were on the thirteenth floor and heard the trains below. There is no excuse for this as adding sound attenuation during construction is easy to do and is also an easy retrofit.

• Stayed April 2011
Windermere, Florida
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My wife and I booked a stay here online through the hotel's website for a nice anniversary trip. We decided to try a new hotel this year downtown that was a little closer to all the hot spots and this location was great. We live in east TN and drove to Nashville early in the morning as we only had one day to do everything. Knowing we couldn't check in early, we went around town and enjoyed some things before going to the hotel. We arrived at the hotel around 1pm (again, knowing the room may not be ready, but decided to check). Sure enough, the room was ready, but we didn't get the request for a higher floor. The desk agent said only 3rd or 4th were ready (out of 15 floors). I told her we could wait, but she insisted that's all she had. So we went to the room, dropped our stuff and watched TV for a couple minutes before going back out on the town. That's when the fun started...

While sitting in the room watching TV, we could hear the elevator pass by everytime. Since our room wasa right next to the elevators, it was very loud. (We were in room 401.) Knowing it's an old building means the equipment is going to be old too. That's understandable, but I would think when making it into a hotel from an old office building, they would add some noise barriers in the walls. Let alone the 1-3" gap found under the door that you could clearly see into the hallway from. I am an extremely light sleeper and knew this wouldn't be a fun night.

So we went back down to the front desk and asked again if it would be possible to get a different room that would be away from the elevators and on a higher floor as originally requested in the reservation. The agent told us "we are sold out, I have nothing." Now, I am a manager in one of the top hotels in the US and know this is not the case. Not everyone is going to be checked in at 1pm that would prevent us from moving. She then asked "have you used the bed and everything?" While we had just checked in, the only thing we used was the toilet. Now, I move guests all the time to make them happy and don't mind cleaning the room either as it's part of my job. But this agent was not willing to do anything for us. Thankfully, the manager was standing there and overheard our conversation. He was able to move us up to the 12th floor (room 1201) which was still right next to the elevator but because it was towards the top, we wouldn't hear the elevator passing by each time and there was no road noise either. Granted, there was still quite a gap under the door, it's nothing that shoving the pillows against the door couldn't stop from the light coming in. I guess it would've been a lot nicer had the woman just done the same thing instead of making the manager step in. My wife mentioned as we went back to the room that she thought it seemed as though it was new staff or a new hotel and was just very unorganized.

The rooms themself are very nicely appointed and they did a great job with the renovation of turning it into a hotel (minus the items listed above). The art and colors were all very modern and furniture was comfortable. I had a good night's sleep although my wife woke up extremely sore from being uncomfortable in the bed.

As an IHG priority club member, I had higher expectations for the service as I know how good this brand is. I'm not sure if I would stay at this property again, but it does have a great location!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2011

This was one of the very best hotels that I have ever stayed at. I can't believe some of the negative reviews that I am reading!

We arrived in Nashville from Toronto after a 15 hours drive and were completely exhausted but perked up as soon as we walked inside. This hotel is very modern and very boutiquey - we loved the Kid Rock picture made out of licence plates and the guitars on the wall.

Check-in was quick and everyone there was very friendly.

We parked our car and took our bags up to our room. One word - HUGE. We we a little nervous about noise as our room was right beside the stairs but we didn't hear a peep from any one for our entire stay. The bedrooms were massive with the bathroom behind the front door. There was a hallways from the bathroom to the bedroom that was lined with gorgeous music inspired photos.

We had a lovely sofa as well as a desk and the most comfortable bed that we have ever slept on. My boyfriend was hesitant to continue the rest of our trip just so that he could spend a few more nights with the pillows and amazing mattress.

The internet was wonderful and the staff was amazing. Checkout was quick with no surprise fees.

The bar was excellent with the food and gave us ketchup in the cutest little bottles!

I completley recommend this hotel.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. This is the place to be in Nasvhille!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple