“A nice change for a solo traveler”

Scarritt-Bennett Center
Ranked #12 of 24 Nashville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Staff was very friendly, and in the heart of everything but remember you have to share a restroom with another guest. Also everything is dated. But location and staff make up for these short comings as long as you understand up front.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank bill b

Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

I notice that here on tripadvisor this is listed as a B&B but don't be confused. There is no breakfast here (however there is coffee in the loby in the morning and I was actually surprised at how good it was).

The rooms are basic but clean and the bed was comfortable. We had two dressers, two places to hang clothes, and plenty of light. The reading lamp over the bed was especially nice. They actually have just about any extras you would find in any hotel, they're just not all in your room. There are lounges where you can watch tv & there should be a washer, dryer & iron in each of the guest buildings. We felt comfortable leaving our belongings there. We needed a key to get into our building and then another to get into the room. For the most part the room had everything I need and was happy with it except for the shower. It can be hard to find a really good hotel shower, but this one was probably in the top with the worst strictly because of the pitiful shower head and the lack of water that comes out. The tub and rest of the bathroom itself is a good size and in good shape.

The grounds are beautiful. It would be a shame to stay here and not take some time out to enjoy them. The location of the center is also great. We were often in walking distance of things we wanted to do, and if not it was a very short drive.

We could have stayed in a cheap motel by the airport for the same price. Instead we got something unique and pleasant in the middle of town. It was perfect for me and I'd recommend it to anyone who is ok with staying in an old building, sharing a bathroom with the room next door, not having a tv or a blow dryer in your room and not having a cleaning crew stop by every day.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank photogirl81
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This former college campus is peaceful and beautiful, very close to Vanderbilt. The staff is pleasant and helpful, and the check-in area/guest services building is spacious and has coffee in the mornings (there are several good breakfast places within a two-block walk). I was getting coffee at the same time as a Buddhist priest. Just saying. The rooms are spartan but comfortable, and the bathroom sharing worked out well--that is, whoever was on the other side was polite and not a bathroom hog. I was completely happy with my stay and would stay there again--in fact, I hope to.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JWH060
Scarritt-Bennett, Marketing Director at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thanks for your kind words. So glad you enjoyed Scarritt-Bennett. Hope you can make it back soon!

Reviewed 30 April 2012

What an AWESOME bargain smack dab in the middle of Nashville, on the Vanderbilt campus to be exact. We had 2 rooms with a bathroom to share between the two. One room had 2 twins the other had 2 double. The linens were clean. Bedspreads were basic polyester but still felt clean. The carpet is however old but the views of the campus from the rooms were lovely. Best thing about the entire stay was the value. We were there for the Country Music Marathon and when basic hotels were charging $300 or more a night we had better atmosphere and a historic feel on a budget. Would definitely go back! Just wish they would upgrade a small bit (but not enough to raise prices).

Room Tip: Did not see an elevator and we were on the 3rd level.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RussellKP
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We were going to be in town for just a day, had no reservations and did not want to spend a ton of money, since we were leaving early the next morning. We found this on Yelp. Totally unexpected. These were student dormitories, very spartan. You share a bathroom. But even tho it was totally spare, no amenities to speak of, you are staying in the most beautiful grounds one can imagine. The neighborhoods surrounding are pleasant. You are in the Vanderbilt University district. We stayed to have the experience. If for 1 night it is worth it, if you are staying several you might have second thoughts.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sueski99
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Contrary to others on here I had a pleasant experience. I actually was looking to stay in the hostel near by but it was booked out. They put me through to these guys... I was a little worried when I approached the front door to this stately building (it's magnificent). The guy checking me in was very friendly. I was informed it was a former bible college so it made sense once I got into the room. No complaints. The room was very clean. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank digg27
Reviewed 18 November 2011

As other reviews on this site and elsewhere have noted, rooms are spartan with worn furnishings. Bathrooms are shared with the next room and may not be clean. On my first night, I had to clean the toilet seat (probably from use by the person in the next room). A heating/AC vent between the two rooms brought all the sounds from that room directly into mine, including his TV blaring until 2 am. Reception staff were very nice and switched me to another room for the next night--problem solved. On the positive side: You are staying on the campus of a beautiful old college adjacent to Vanderbilt Univ. The people running the center are extremely nice. If you are traveling with someone who can book the adjacent room, then sharing the bathroom and noise may not be a problem. The atmosphere is that of a retreat center! I would stay there again if a friend or relative shared the adjacent room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo